Just step back and stand in awe of the picks Mike Elias and his staff have ALREADY made

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree but I'm waiting until a few more actually do it in real ML seasons before I'm all in.

theres so many good looking prospects ...several could fail and the Orioles would STILL have the best prospects in their teams history...maybe as good as 1970...with Baylor, Merv, May, Motton, Grich and  others...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

theres so many good looking prospects ...several could fail and the Orioles would STILL have the best prospects in their teams history...maybe as good as 1970...with Baylor, Merv, May, Motton, Grich and  others...

We're stacked.  I'll feel better when someone like Cowser/Westburg/Kjerstad becomes an all-star level player.

Spot on. But making "money" is one thing. How you use it is another. I'm very optimistic but as has been said on here often, this now is Elias and Company's most challenging time. For the first time in many years, the Oriole Organization is blessed with an abundance of talent. Let's all hope we are on the cusp of many years of having a highly competitive team. I'd love to relive the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!! (In more ways than one)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We're stacked.  I'll feel better when someone like Cowser/Westburg/Kjerstad becomes an all-star level player.

Hard to become an All Star without the playing time. Need to make room for them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

Hard to become an All Star without the playing time. Need to make room for them.

Westburg will get plenty of time.   Kjerstad and Cowser are going to have to take advantage when an opportunity presents itself.  Making room for these guys doesn't seem to be the way it's going to work.

37 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Can't argue with your enthusiasm over current prospects but not sure your parallel of 1970 is that accurate. 

Yes, Baylor and Grich were both 21 and future stars. And there was Terry Crowley at (23), and Johnny Oates (24).

But May (26) and Motton (29), along with Roger Freed (24) were bit players at best. Rettenmund was 27 and at the peak of a short career. Otherwise our younger everyday players were already established for a couple of years: Blair (26), Johnson (27), Etchebarren (27), Palmer (24), and Hardin (26). So I'm guessing you were aiming at an overall talent comparison rather than a list of hot prospects, per se. Personally I don't recall a time *ever* when the Orioles were noted for the most (quality or quantity) of top prospects like they are now. 

On the other hand, if you substitute 1966, you might have a case: 

Etchebarren 23, Powell 24, Johnson 23, Blefary 22, Blair 22, Haney 23, Belanger 22, Epstein 23, McNally 23, Palmer 20, Bunker 21, Watt 25, Phoebus 24.  (Tho I have no idea how these would rate in national rankings at the time).

Edited by now
  • Upvote 2

I remember when Preller took over the padres. He instantly made a bunch of trades, emptied his farm, and was terrible.

ME has chosen well, and no mistake. Henderson was what, the 32nd pick? How many teams kick themselves over that?

The real proof of the pudding will be the next few years making excellent picks when he’s picking 28 or 29. We need to avoid all the future Cody Sedlocks.

Drafting hasn’t been a problem. Let’s see what he does with all the surplus, though.

But if the Burnes trade is an indication, the surplus may also not be a problem.

Good times ahead!

6 minutes ago, now said:

Can't argue with your enthusiasm over current prospects but not sure your parallel of 1970 is that accurate. 

Yes, Baylor and Grich were both 21 and future stars. And there was Terry Crowley at (23), and Johnny Oates (24).

But May (26) and Motton (29), along with Roger Freed (24) were bit players at best. Rettenmund was 27 and at the peak of a short career. Otherwise our younger everyday players were already established for a couple of years: Blair (26), Johnson (27), Etchebarren (27), Palmer (24), and Hardin (26). So I'm guessing you were aiming at an overall talent comparison rather than a list of hot prospects, per se. Personally I don't recall a time *ever* when the Orioles were noted for the most (quality or quantity) of top prospects like they are now. 

1960 O's with Gentile (26), Breeding (26), Hansen (22), Brooks (23), Adair (23), Brandt (26), Pappas (21), Barber (22) and Estrada(22) was chock full of young talent, most of whom were not on the team the previous season.  Maybe not the same now, but similar. 

From that year until 1985 they had a grand total of two losing seasons.  I expect nothing less from this crew.  😀😀

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

It’s good to remember that even in that era there were highly touted prospects who never became good major leaguers.  Davey May and Curt Motton as you mentioned, and also Roger Freed.  

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Sure, he had the picks...but SO many of his picks are impressing...Today Stowers became the first ST hitter to hit 3 HR in a game in almost exactly 6 years...then theres Cowser hitting .364...Mayo with a .366 BA and 7 doubles...Holliday hitting.300...Basallo a young impressive prospect...and dont forget Kierstad, and Westburg, Norby. to go with Gunnar and Adley......and I think McDermott has a chance to be decent too...I think Rubinstein needs to extend Elias almost as much as any young player...this man has a great eye and judgement for talent...and so does his analysts...we NEVER had this kind of FO in player personnel since he Dalton, Cashen years...Im just so impressed..and theres STILL a chance someone else could surprise too..this is truly an embarrassment of riches..

Yeah its a weird position for a Oriole fan.  We never were known as a team that could develop talent in 40 years.  And then now we might be the best in the League at picking and developing talent.  Its amazing.  I sometimes have to pinch myself.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Is this the greatest spring training team in baseball history?

From R/Baseball:

I now have conclusive proof that the team with the best spring training record record of all time was the 1990 San Diego Padres with a .857 winning percentage (12-2). The only other teams to get above the .800 mark were the 1997 Florida Marlins 26-5 (.839) and the 2016 Washington Nationals 19-4 (.826).