Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

8 hours ago, baltfan said:

Good points though thinking that at the age of 20 you have found the woman that you should spend your entire life with is not necessarily the most mature of decisions.  It could be correct, but there are not many people are radically different at the age of 30 vs 20. 

Just because you weren't mature enough at 20 to find a woman to spend the rest of your life with doesn't mean other people can't be. Getting married young used to be a very common thing in the world before the demographic of the workforce changed, but let's go ahead and make up some more crap to be negative about the kid some more.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Just because you weren't mature enough at 20 to find a woman to spend the rest of your life with doesn't mean other people can't be. Getting married young used to be a very common thing in the world before the demographic of the workforce changed, but let's go ahead and make up some more crap to be negative about the kid some more.

I don't know if that is really fair.  I know that I would tell any man (or kid) to not even consider getting married until you were at least 30, and preferably 35.   I know when I first read that Holliday was getting married at his age my first reaction wasn't 'good for him'.

It was....'that seems strange to me'.    Back in the day, as you referred to, people got married younger because A) people didn't live as long so they wanted to get things going if they wanted to start a family and B) women usually just stayed at home being a house wife/mom.  These days women are much more active outside of the home.  (not saying that is necessarily a good thing)

I hope he has a great marriage but man, I think back to when I was 20 and I could never imagine in a million years getting married at that point.      He is in the prime of his dating life and could date lots of different girls.  Being tied down to one at that age?  It seems bizarre really.

She is a pretty girl....I will give her that.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 4
  • Downvote 2

31 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I don't know if that is really fair.  I know that I would tell any man (or kid) to not even consider getting married until you were at least 30, and preferably 35.   I know when I first read that Holliday was getting married at his age my first reaction wasn't 'good for him'.

It was....'that seems strange to me'.    Back in the day, as you referred to, people got married younger because A) people didn't live as long so they wanted to get things going if they wanted to start a family and B) women usually just stayed at home being a house wife/mom.  These days women are much more active outside of the home.  (not saying that is necessarily a good thing)

I hope he has a great marriage but man, I think back to when I was 20 and I could never imagine in a million years getting married at that point.      He is in the prime of his dating life and could date lots of different girls.  Being tied down to one at that age?  It seems bizarre really.

The OnlyoneOriole advice column would be a sensation. Who wants to start a thread?

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wondered how long it’d take for grumbling to start if he didn’t hit right away. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. 

We just live in an instant gratification society nowadays so it's not that surprising. The Orioles have won two or three while Holliday takes his lumps so that's the good thing and last night, no matter what he did at the plate they were losing that one.

Pitchers are really coming at him with their best stuff and I haven't seen him swing through many hittable pitches. Saying all that, the amount of pure whiff so far has been surprising for sure. Through his first three games he has a 59.1% WHIFF rate and part of that might be the pure amount of pitches he's seen with only six pure fastballs.

image.thumb.png.4332fc3b4629ad97aa6bb45c19901909.png

Welcome to the big league kid. They know who you are, they have your scouting report and statcast data from the major leagues, and they're going to pitch you like a super star until you make the adjustments and become one.

Not the start anyone thought he'd have and he probably needs to sit against Hall today since he's typically tough on lefties. He'll get there. It just may take a little more time than we had hoped.

10 hours ago, milbest77 said:

I think Dad needs to back away. Way too many interviews and comparisons and it’s putting that much more pressure on the kid. 

I don't see him seeking out interviews. Like any Dad, he's here to support his son with his family. It's ashamed Jackson has struggled. It's ashamed that every at bat they show his family waiting nervously for him to get off the snide. But, he's a very popular player already who the Orioles decided to give away his t-shirt before he took a major league at bat in Camden Yards.

Everything is magnified right now and if anything, I feel bad for his family because they have to hold their disappointment in because they know the cameras are on them at all time. Nobody feels worse for Jackson than his family.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, interloper said:

I hear you. Everything we've been told about him is that he's this unusually mature guy and super special player. But being mature for your age doesn't mean you're a robot. The moment has arrived for him and there's no more working towards the goal. By the way you're making your home debut, they printed 15,000 shirts with your face on it, you're wearing the number of your baseball legend father who is 15 ft behind you just across the way from the Hall of Famer who by the way, you're also wearing the number of his deceased father, an Orioles legend. Oh and it's a world series caliber team so you can't just get your bearings on a bad team. And here's an ace for you to face on a nationally televised game. 

No amount of maturity renders all that inert. It's so much. I have absolutely no doubt he'll get here, but man I would love to remove a couple of those pressure variables for him. 

Right on the mark. Good synopsis. And Peralta was absolutely dealing last night too making everyone look bad. That slider was insane.

9 hours ago, baltfan said:

He is just morphing to the form of pitcher that he knows the Orioles can’t hit—a soft tossing lefty. 

I don't know about that. They can't hit hard throwing lefties either! :D

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see him seeking out interviews. Like any Dad, he's here to support his son with his family. It's ashamed Jackson has struggled. It's ashamed that every at bat they show his family waiting nervously for him to get off the snide. But, he's a very popular player already who the Orioles decided to give away his t-shirt before he took a major league at bat in Camden Yards.

Everything is magnified right now and if anything, I feel bad for his family because they have to hold their disappointment in because they know the cameras are on them at all time. Nobody feels worse for Jackson than his family.  

Not too worried about it.  Matt Holliday went 0 for 7 in his first two major league games.  He knows it’s not easy.  

He did go 3 for 3 in his third game, so he can give his son grief now.  

9 hours ago, interloper said:

I was just noting the weird amount of factors he's dealing with. Like when Gunnar came up it felt way less ridiculous and contrived than this. The media has gone a little weirdly overboard on the #7 thing IMO. And Matt Holliday being the celebrity he is, it's just different. 

Anyway, whatever. He's gonna be fine and it won't hurt if the media frenzy dies down a little. 

The media has been absolute insane over everything, including the damn number thing. I thought it was funny when Holliday said the right things about Cal Sr. and his Dad, then when continued to be pressed by the press' infatuation with getting his opinion on wearing the #7, he finally told them, "I just wear whatever number they give me!" 

That was one of the best passive aggressive responses I've seen to a press corp that can't seem to get enough of what number he's wearing.

• Upvote 2

It’s three games. He will be fine. 

Plowing through the minor leagues doesn’t matter as much as most of us think, with respect to having success in Major League Baseball.

The gap in talent from AAA to the Majors is so much wider than what any other minors/amateur to “the league”. It really is hard to fathom. The only comparison that I can make is to the college kids who turned pro during Tiger Woods’s heyday. Going from playing competitive college golf to playing Tiger Woods is basically what these guys do when they jump from AAA to MLB. I don’t think most of us comprehend just how absurdly talented Major League players are.

I have been as critical of JH as anyone (his prospect as a SS) but he’s going to be fine at the plate. His timing is off just a little bit and he’s seen some really filthy pitching thus far. The whiffs will tail off once he settles in (admittedly he does look a little uncomfortable right now on off-speed stuff but he’s not getting sped up which is good). He’s going to hit, a lot. It wouldn’t shock me to see him run off a 5-5 with a couple of walks his next two games. He’s too good of a hitter to struggle. 

And damn, the recencyism of us. Gunnar struggled last year. Adley the year before. JH is going to be fine and by year’s end I bet he’s being talked about as a top ten 2B in MLB. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Wait. You AREN’T saying that women being active outside of the home is a good thing?  As in it might be a bad thing?  That’s quite a take. 

3 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

Staying married a long time is hard no matter the age you start.  Holliday may be the most mature kid ever, but in the long run it may not be up to him.  Ask Tom Brady.  Ask Cal.  

I wish the young couple the very best.  With all the money he is going to make in his lifetime though, getting married now is possibly one of the dumbest decisions he ever made.   He just gave away half of his earnings.  Hope it all works out.