Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

I t

12 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I don't have any long term concerns based on this.

But I will say, it's about as bad as I've seen a highly-ranked player ever look in his first few games. 0/11 with 7 K's, four weak grounders, and no walks or hard foul balls either. He's had some good takes with 2 strikes but that's about the best you can say. 

You just described me playing B league softball. Ha.

I think JH may be ill. Could he have the flu or something?

3 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

I think Dad needs to back away. Way too many interviews and comparisons and it’s putting that much more pressure on the kid. 

That's been happeing his whole career. The last thing he's thinking about is his parents sitting in the 2nd row.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

To be clear I was not at all criticizing Jackson or saying he can't handle pressure, but he's not a super human. I just think he should be left to do his thing. He's a kid. 

I guess the post is a little emotional and unpopular so I'll delete it.

No one is saying he’s superhuman. No one is saying he shouldn’t be left alone. The truth is somewhere in the middle. 

Yeah, he’s a kid, in age only. But he’s also the son of a ballplayer who had a fantastic career, worked his ass off from being considered a late round first round to being thought of as a top 10 pick and then selected first overall. 

He’s the one that sat in his first press conference at Camden Yards and said his goal was to make it to the majors in two years and did exactly that. 

He also went out and got married this offseason.  Everything about him screams that he’s not an average 20 year old and not really a “kid.” 

It’s impossible for him to be “left alone to do his thing” (whatever that means) when he’s done everything in his power to not be left alone.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

What I heard Matt say he's being pitched tough and has faced some very good pitchers. Baseball is hard, and Holliday has never really failed at it. He'll adjust.

Yes, he said those things as well.

He also said he thought he was pressing and that he’d like to see him get his first hit out of the way so he can “take a deep breath” and relax. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Fiorentino is my favorite one.  I would take a Westburg type start though. 

It's hard to compare High School kids to college guys. Westburg was 4 years older when he made his debut and played at a good school program. We all freaked out that Holliday wasn't up to start the season and now everyone thinks he's a bust after 3 games. Deep breaths and some patience and all will be right in the world.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I wouldn't sit him against Hall. He'll likely walk a couple of times if he's patient.

Listened to Eno Sarris on Rates and Barrels today and he said Hall’s velo is down and command is a mess. 

Just now, baltfan said:

Listened to Eno Sarris on Rates and Barrels today and he said Hall’s velo is down and command is a mess. 

Yeah I think he was 92 or so in his last game and command isn't good. He'll likely go 6 innings with 9k's tomorrow, now lol.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Malike said:

It's hard to compare High School kids to college guys. Westburg was 4 years older when he made his debut and played at a good school program. We all freaked out that Holliday wasn't up to start the season and now everyone thinks he's a bust after 3 games. Deep breaths and some patience and all will be right in the world.

I defended Elias sending him down and am surely not freaking out.  I would say there is a fair chance though that he may need some more time back in the minors. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

I defended Elias sending him down and am surely not freaking out.  I would say there is a fair chance though that he may need some more time back in the minors. 

We need to keep him on the team and he needs to play regularly, in my opinion. He has nothing left to prove in AAA with the bat. The glove? Perhaps.