Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one is saying he’s superhuman. No one is saying he shouldn’t be left alone. The truth is somewhere in the middle. 

Yeah, he’s a kid, in age only. But he’s also the son of a ballplayer who had a fantastic career, worked his ass off from being considered a late round first round to being thought of as a top 10 pick and then selected first overall. 

He’s the one that sat in his first press conference at Camden Yards and said his goal was to make it to the majors in two years and did exactly that. 

He also went out and got married this offseason.  Everything about him screams that he’s not an average 20 year old and not really a “kid.” 

It’s impossible for him to be “left alone to do his thing” (whatever that means) when he’s done everything in his power to not be left alone.  

I hear you. Everything we've been told about him is that he's this unusually mature guy and super special player. But being mature for your age doesn't mean you're a robot. The moment has arrived for him and there's no more working towards the goal. By the way you're making your home debut, they printed 15,000 shirts with your face on it, you're wearing the number of your baseball legend father who is 15 ft behind you just across the way from the Hall of Famer who by the way, you're also wearing the number of his deceased father, an Orioles legend. Oh and it's a world series caliber team so you can't just get your bearings on a bad team. And here's an ace for you to face on a nationally televised game. 

No amount of maturity renders all that inert. It's so much. I have absolutely no doubt he'll get here, but man I would love to remove a couple of those pressure variables for him. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Jackson will have 2 hits tomorrow, guarantee it. 

I hope the rest of our lineup can get two hits...I've been underwhelmed with our offense , mostly early in games...we are always playing catch up...or from behind..and tonight the Brewers crushed our pitching with add on runs...we were hardly even in the game.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I hear you. Everything we've been told about him is that he's this unusually mature guy and super special player. But being mature for your age doesn't mean you're a robot. The moment has arrived for him and there's no more working towards the goal. By the way you're making your home debut, they printed 15,000 shirts with your face on it, you're wearing the number of your baseball legend father who is 15 ft behind you just across the way from the Hall of Famer who by the way, you're wearing the number of his deceased father, an Orioles legend. Oh and it's a world series caliber team so you can't just get your bearings on a bad team. And here's an ace for you to face.

No amount of maturity renders all that inert. It's so much. 

Well I’m not sure how he’s supposed to deal with playoff pressure when 15,000 t-shirts have him rattled. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

He has faced really tough pitchers so far I have to say. And none of them are giving him anything to hit.

The early scouting report on Holliday seems to be pitch away with off speed, and if you get ahead, then work back in and/or up with the FB with 2 strikes

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

The early scouting report on Holliday seems to be pitch away with off speed, and if you get ahead, then work back in and/or up with the FB with 2 strikes

I also didn't see the game tonight, so not sure how they pitched him compared to Boston

Burnes basically called it a circus today. He told Jackson to stay away from him in Boston when they asked him if he talked to Jackson about the expectations. He said he would do it eventually but he didn't want to be on all of the cameras following the kid around all day.

Edited by Malike

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one is saying he’s superhuman. No one is saying he shouldn’t be left alone. The truth is somewhere in the middle. 

Yeah, he’s a kid, in age only. But he’s also the son of a ballplayer who had a fantastic career, worked his ass off from being considered a late round first round to being thought of as a top 10 pick and then selected first overall. 

He’s the one that sat in his first press conference at Camden Yards and said his goal was to make it to the majors in two years and did exactly that. 

He also went out and got married this offseason.  Everything about him screams that he’s not an average 20 year old and not really a “kid.” 

It’s impossible for him to be “left alone to do his thing” (whatever that means) when he’s done everything in his power to not be left alone.  

Good points though thinking that at the age of 20 you have found the woman that you should spend your entire life with is not necessarily the most mature of decisions.  It could be correct, but there are not many people are radically different at the age of 30 vs 20. 

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well I’m not sure how he’s supposed to deal with playoff pressure when 15,000 t-shirts have him rattled. 

Funny but you are disregarding 99% of my post. It's the stacking of all the things, not this one single thing. 

I'm trying to be empathetic to the situation not criticize anything about him.

12 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I hope the rest of our lineup can get two hits...I've been underwhelmed with our offense , mostly early in games...we are always playing catch up...or from behind..and tonight the Brewers crushed our pitching with add on runs...we were hardly even in the game.

I think it may be time to tweak the batting order a bit. I’d strongly consider moving Cowser up especially against RHP. You know how this goes, Roy..the bats are going to get hot, just haven’t got going YET but it’s coming. 

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Good points though thinking that at the age of 20 you have found the woman that you should spend your entire life with is not necessarily the most mature of decisions.  It could be correct, but there are not many people are radically different at the age of 30 vs 20. 

It might not be the wisest decision but it is a mature decision. 

2 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I think it may be time to tweak the batting order a bit. I’d strongly consider moving Cowser up especially against RHP. You know how this goes, Roy..the bats are going to get hot, just haven’t got going YET but it’s coming. 

Eh, Cowser batted 2nd tonight.

I couldn't watch the game tonight but what I saw in the Boston series is that he's getting pitchers' best stuff.  He's probably seen very few breaking and offspeed pitches of this quality and for now he is overmatched.

Regardless of a quip I made in the game thread, there isn't anything to do except stick with him and let him work it out.  He won't learn how to hit quality pitching in AAA.   Adley started out 8 for 51 and Cowser was terrible last year, and both of them were a lot older at the time.  Jackson has too much talent not to figure it out.