If we are going to thank the Oriole front office, Elias, Sig, and others...why wouldn't we acknowledge Eve?

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This is obviously true, yeah. Assistant GM's rarely get the spotlight just like long snappers rarely get the spotlight.  

What was also clear in talking with Rosenbaum, and Orioles Executive Vice President and General Manager Mike Elias, the fact that she's a woman doing this job isn't that big of a deal. She's just really good at it.

She's no DEI hire. The org is lucky to have her.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/eve-rosenbaum-orioles-assistant-gm-womens-history-month/60231800

Right.

16 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I hear ya...I just dont know that I've heard people on this page or just Oriole fans in general talk about what an amazing hire she has been for this organisation...if you or others have mentioned it...Im sorry...I didnt see it..

I've seen people predict that Elias gets the President title and she gets the GM title. 

Honestly, I think Elias has built a juggernaut front office just like he has young talent. The top 3 are well known, but I bet they'll be fine if one or two of the top 3 leave. That said, I obviously hope Elias remains here for a long time to steer the ship.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This is obviously true, yeah. Assistant GM's rarely get the spotlight just like long snappers rarely get the spotlight.  

What was also clear in talking with Rosenbaum, and Orioles Executive Vice President and General Manager Mike Elias, the fact that she's a woman doing this job isn't that big of a deal. She's just really good at it.

She's no DEI hire. The org is lucky to have her.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/eve-rosenbaum-orioles-assistant-gm-womens-history-month/60231800

There have been a number of pieces like this, so it’s not like Eve doesn’t get her share of attention.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There have been a number of pieces like this, so it’s not like Eve doesn’t get her share of attention.   

Agree and I'm very sure she couldn't care much less, either. She sounds like a person living her dream job. Good for her.

11 hours ago, emmett16 said:

She also sets the lineups for every game.  

No she doesn’t.  She’s part of a group that makes recommendations to Hyde.  Hyde makes the final decisions.  Go to the 4:45 mark of this video and she gives about a 3 minute explanation of everything that goes into it, but it’s clear that ultimately it’s Hyde who decides.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

No she doesn’t.  She’s part of a group that makes recommendations to Hyde.  Hyde makes the final decisions.  Go to the 4:45 mark of this video and she gives about a 3 minute explanation of everything that goes into it, but it’s clear that ultimately it’s Hyde who decides.   

Thanks.  That was the interview I remember seeing.  I misremembered.  Thanks for the correction. 

Edited by emmett16

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I went back and listened to the Q&A you referenced. Interestingly, the next question was in regards to their process for promoting players from the minors. Her answer one year ago mirrored exactly what they’re saying now about Holliday.

Service time absolutely plays some role in all of this, it’d be naive to think otherwise. But they also genuinely seem to believe as an organization that “mastering” AAA matters more than other organizations treat it. I understand the cynicism many have but I do think there’s at least some genuine belief by the team that this is best for Hollidays development. He may not see good LHP in AAA, but with the way Hyde manages, he would see NO LHP in Baltimore.

The whole interview seems worth checking out. Little outdated of course. 

15 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I saw Eve doing some administrative work and preparing some of the players to get their pay checks during a video once. She was very organized and she is definitely very smart. She left a very positive impression on me. She may not get as much notoriety among the most casual of fans, but she is still a good asset in the leadership of this Franchise.

That's not to say I want her or the front office dictating lineup cards to Brandon Hyde, like someone around here rumored in a post once. The Manager should be allowed to do his job and make the lineups.

That's not rumored, that's directly from the mouths of both Elias and Hyde. The lineups are developed through a process between the Analytics folks/Sigbot computer, medical staff, and Hyde. Unless that's changed at some point, Hyde has never had full control to write a lineup card out. 

I never heard that she had anything to do with the lineup card though and I doubt it's being "dictated" to Hyde by an assistant GM on his whims. Nothing is done on a whim in this organization. 

15 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I went back and listened to the Q&A you referenced. Interestingly, the next question was in regards to their process for promoting players from the minors. Her answer one year ago mirrored exactly what they’re saying now about Holliday.

Service time absolutely plays some role in all of this, it’d be naive to think otherwise. But they also genuinely seem to believe as an organization that “mastering” AAA matters more than other organizations treat it. I understand the cynicism many have but I do think there’s at least some genuine belief by the team that this is best for Hollidays development. He may not see good LHP in AAA, but with the way Hyde manages, he would see NO LHP in Baltimore.

The whole interview seems worth checking out. Little outdated of course. 

If "mastering" AAA was so important, why did Elias say he has an excellent chance to make the team out of spring training? Why even say that if they really didn't think he was special and was ready. All he did is go through spring training and show that he was ready at everything but hitting left-handers (though he did hit a Grand Slam off Kikuchi).

I said all offseason that I didn't think Holliday would make the team because he probably wasn't ready, but then he went about spring training showing everyone he was actually ready, only to have the rug pulled out from under him. 

Elias is typically very shrewd and how he gives out information to the press, but he mis-stepped on Holiday. He should have never have said he had a chance to make the team if they had every intention are using service time manipulation to gain the extra year (which is smart long term). All he had to say is they're looking forward to seeing him in the spring and although he has little AAA experience, they'll be taking a long look at him.

Then when they send him back to AAA, everyone understands but by giving false hope and then by Holliday having a great spring, it left him with a disappointed fanbase and egg on his face.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If "mastering" AAA was so important, why did Elias say he has an excellent chance to make the team out of spring training? Why even say that if they really didn't think he was special and was ready. All he did is go through spring training and show that he was ready at everything but hitting left-handers (though he did hit a Grand Slam off Kikuchi).

I said all offseason that I didn't think Holliday would make the team because he probably wasn't ready, but then he went about spring training showing everyone he was actually ready, only to have the rug pulled out from under him. 

Elias is typically very shrewd and how he gives out information to the press, but he mis-stepped on Holiday. He should have never have said he had a chance to make the team if they had every intention are using service time manipulation to gain the extra year (which is smart long term). All he had to say is they're looking forward to seeing him in the spring and although he has little AAA experience, they'll be taking a long look at him.

Then when they send him back to AAA, everyone understands but by giving false hope and then by Holliday having a great spring, it left him with a disappointed fanbase and egg on his face.

It was uncharacteristically atrocious PR on Elias’ part; I’ve said so in other threads. Their post AAA demotion comments mirror what they’ve said about all prospects and mastering AAA for years, that’s all I’m saying. Maybe it’s all BS, or maybe they believe it on some level and in combination with the service time benefits, it was in their opinion the appropriate move for them to make.

When the poll on how we as fans would react if JH was sent down was put out a month ago, I didn’t like that it lacked an option along the lines of “as a fan I don’t like the decision, but I understand and accept it may be right for the long term interests of the team.” That remains my take. 

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

“as a fan I don’t like the decision, but I understand and accept it may be right for the long term interests of the team.” That remains my take. 

That's my take as well on he Holliday situation. I agree though, it was uncharacteristically poor job of PR by Elias. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's not rumored, that's directly from the mouths of both Elias and Hyde. The lineups are developed through a process between the Analytics folks/Sigbot computer, medical staff, and Hyde. Unless that's changed at some point, Hyde has never had full control to write a lineup card out. 

I never heard that she had anything to do with the lineup card though and I doubt it's being "dictated" to Hyde by an assistant GM on his whims. Nothing is done on a whim in this organization. 

The part of her interview I cited gives a full description of how it’s done.   And I’ve never read or heard anything from Elias or Hyde that is any different from what Eve said.  It’s Hyde’s decision, with a lot of advance input from others.

45 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Her answer one year ago mirrored exactly what they’re saying now about Holliday.

I have found myself listening to past quotes from O's leadership and feeling stupid I didn't know what they were going to do in the moment. I think they're actually incredibly consistent, but we tend to talk ourselves into other possibilities. That said, Elias opened the door for Holliday in the fan's eyes even if it wasn't quite as open as we hoped.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's my take as well on he Holliday situation. I agree though, it was uncharacteristically poor job of PR by Elias. 

This was reminiscent of "lift off." Regardless of his exact quotes or his exact meaning, he's said a couple of things and then lost control of the narrative.

• Upvote 1