2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Best hitters should bat 1 or 2.  

I like Gunnar batting behind 2 guys who are speedy with high OBPs.  Hopefully in 2025 that will be Cowser and Holliday.  Just thought that sounded good until I figured out that would give the O's 3 LH hitters back to back.  How about:

Holliday

Adley

Gunnar

I'm hoping long term, Mayo will be a high OBP guy, and then it will be:

Holliday

Mayo

Gunnar

22 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Not sure where you got that stat but Ohtani, Judge, and Witt Jr all 3 best hitter in baseball bat 1-2 in the lineup.

One of my sick pleasures while coaching youth baseball is winning a close game when the opposing team has their best hitters batting 3rd & 4th and we make the last out with them on deck & in the hole.  

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

It's not a theory.  

It was determined that lineup order has a minimal effect, but you should stack your top hitters together.  I guess logically I would think a batting order that puts the maximum runners on base for your best hitter would be the best order.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It was determined that lineup order has a minimal effect, but you should stack your top hitters together.  I guess logically I would think a batting order that puts the maximum runners on base for your best hitter would be the best order.

But it does have an effect even if it's minimal.  Batter #1 will get the most ABs ~18 more than #2 and that continues down the chain.  You give your best players the most opportunity to have an impact.  Plane and simple.  

11 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I like Gunnar batting behind 2 guys who are speedy with high OBPs.  Hopefully in 2025 that will be Cowser and Holliday.  Just thought that sounded good until I figured out that would give the O's 3 LH hitters back to back.  How about:

Holliday

Adley

Gunnar

I'm hoping long term, Mayo will be a high OBP guy, and then it will be:

Holliday

Mayo

Gunnar

You bat Gunnar 4, not 3.(in your scenario)

Edited by Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Here's a concise overview of lineup construction as described in The Book.  

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course Soto is also on that short list and he is hitting second.

The Verdugo thing is baffling.  He's a career .330 OBP but is .291 this year.  

Avg. MLB OBP this year is .313

Edited by emmett16

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Why 4?

The Book says the #4 hitter comes to bat in the most important situations out of all nine spots, but is equal in importance to the #2 hole once you consider the #2 guy receives more plate appearances. The cleanup hitter is the best hitter on the team with power.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Would you put a guy w/ decent OBP at #9 if you had Gunnar at #1.  It always kills me when they bat McCann who is dirt slow with a .270 OBP in front of Gunnar.  At least Mateo was speedy w/ still low OBP when he was #9.

McCann is slow but I think the idea of base cloggers is a bit overdone historically.

Honestly how often is the lead runner actually impairing a base runner from taking an extra base because of poor foot speed?