2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

32 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Mullins has to play time to time. Might as well be against righties where he has a .737 ops. If anyone is curious Mullins is hitting lefties (check this) .376 ops with no rbi, yikes.

Still wild he crushed lefties after initially giving up switch hitting. One would have thought he would always have results like that.. 

I like that they are giving Adley the full day off.  Especially since they likely got to Tampa late last night.  He needs as much rest as we can give him the rest of the regular season.  No Mayo is a bummer for me though.  I would let the kids play and deal with his struggles for now with hopes that he can be a contributor in the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Urias playing every day is not what Hyde said the plan was when Mayo was called up, that I do know.

I think we will see a platoon of Urias and Mayo at 3B. Urias hit RHP better and he’ll probably get the start when it’s a RHP.

Mayo will start against LHP and if he starts hitting will end up getting starts against RHP as well. Mayo’s defense is going to have to be adequate enough though even if his hitting comes around. 

12 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Urias playing every day is not what Hyde said the plan was when Mayo was called up, that I do know.

Perhaps the defense has changed his mind.

Certainly looks like Hyde is emphasizing defense with his lineup today.   McCann over Adley, Urias over Mayo.   You could argue that Mounty is a bit better than O'Hearn, and maybe that Slater could be better than Santander (haven't seen enough to judge), but basically, tonight's lineup is about as good a defensive lineup as Hyde can put out there right now.

Maybe reacting to the poor defensive play we have seen recently.

15 minutes ago, The Goob said:

I like that they are giving Adley the full day off.  Especially since they likely got to Tampa late last night.  He needs as much rest as we can give him the rest of the regular season.  

Yes, they arrived in St. Pete very late. Their charter flight landed at 2:48am, so they probably didn't get to the hotel until at least 3:30 this morning. The good thing is, the Rays had a night game in St. Louis, so they probably got in just as late.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Perhaps the defense has changed his mind.

Certainly looks like Hyde is emphasizing defense with his lineup today.   McCann over Adley, Urias over Mayo.   You could argue that Mounty is a bit better than O'Hearn, and maybe that Slater could be better than Santander (haven't seen enough to judge), but basically, tonight's lineup is about as good a defensive lineup as Hyde can put out there right now.

Maybe reacting to the poor defensive play we have seen recently.

I'm sure you're right, but They knew that before they called him up. Did they think he was going to become Manny because they called him up? He's going to struggle a bit defensively. Let him work through it, or send him down. Makes no sense to have him up and riding the bench. I'm sure that is the plan anyways, we'll see JD Davis for Mayo pretty soon. Yay. This team is just so much less fun than last years. 

2 minutes ago, terpoh said:

I'm sure you're right, but They knew that before they called him up. Did they think he was going to become Manny because they called him up? He's going to struggle a bit defensively. Let him work through it, or send him down. Makes no sense to have him up and riding the bench. I'm sure that is the plan anyways, we'll see JD Davis for Mayo pretty soon. Yay. This team is just so much less fun than last years. 

Maybe he's been worse defensively than they expected.

41 minutes ago, terpoh said:

A slew of injuries and more loosing will do that. Hopefully the post season this year will be more fun and last longer than last years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Goob said:

I like that they are giving Adley the full day off.  Especially since they likely got to Tampa late last night.  He needs as much rest as we can give him the rest of the regular season.  No Mayo is a bummer for me though.  I would let the kids play and deal with his struggles for now with hopes that he can be a contributor in the playoffs.

I say let Mayo play too. But everyone here on this page  knows that. My reason is slightly different.Urias ISNT our future, he hasn't hit that well either. His defense has been ok but not Gold Glove. If the Orioles are worried about Mayo's defense let him DH. The kid needs at bats to get his feet under him. It's rare for ANY new call up let alone a 22 year old to be an instant success.Let him play. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I say let Mayo play too. But everyone here on this page  knows that. My reason is slightly different.Urias ISNT our future, he hasn't hit that well either. His defense has been ok but not Gold Glove. If the Orioles are worried about Mayo's defense let him DH. The kid needs at bats to get his feet under him. It's rare for ANY new call up let alone a 22 year old to be an instant success.Let him play. 

I'm not going to bother with a bunch of research but:

Gunnar Henderson, 21, 259/348/440  126 OPS+

Ryan Mountcastle, 23, 333/386/492 137 OPS+

I don't think it's all that rare.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not going to bother with a bunch of research but:

Gunnar Henderson, 21, 259/348/440  126 OPS+

Ryan Mountcastle, 23, 333/386/492 137 OPS+

I don't think it's all that rare.

How many AB's did those numbers represent?  He said INSTANT success.  Mayo can't improve his numbers without AB's.

That being said, I'm pretty much agnostic on Mayo's playing time.  That D the other night was hard to watch.

56 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Maybe he's been worse defensively than they expected.

It could be if the rest of the defense was playing better they would be willing to put Mayo out there.  But with our defense looking so bad, maybe they see Urias as a steadying force.  

I’d still have Mayo DH’ing over Jimenez though.