2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

O’Hearn hasn’t been too bad in the OF this year.  0 errors, -2 Rtot, 0 Rdrs, +2 OAA, -0.2 UZR.

This just makes me suspicious of OAA as a stat. O'Hearn is not good. Maybe a little better than Trumbo but not much.

On 6/10/2024 at 3:50 PM, interloper said:

I'm fascinated by stuff like this. Like, does Burnes go to Adley and outright tell him he's more comfortable with McCann? Is it unspoken and Hyde handles it? But then if so, if you're Adley wouldn't you rather Burnes tell you himself? It's interesting. I've never played baseball, so I wonder how stuff like that is handled behind the scenes. Not suggesting there's any drama, I'm just curious how it's communicated or if it just isn't. 

McCann caught Burnes last night as well. I haven't kept up on this situation, but it appears to still be a thing.

Interesting that tonight’s lineup has lefties stacked (Gunnar/OHearn, then Holliday/Mullins).  This deviates from prior practice of spacing them out, maybe portends for potential pinch hitting later in the game or reflects that RedSox may have exhausted bullpen of Loogys. 

47 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

McCann caught Burnes last night as well. I haven't kept up on this situation, but it appears to still be a thing.

McCann was not in the original lineup last night.

He was a last second replacement when Adley was scratched due to lower back soreness.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If you're supposed to bat your best hitters 1st and 2nd what's the purpose of batting Slater 1st, lineup experts?

Best I have for you is Slater leads the team in pitches per PA. Driving up pitch counts can benefit the rest of the team. It's also possible that Sigbot has pivoted to batting the best hitters in the 2-3 spots. Sigbot may be a dynamic intelligence that makes adjustments during the season in response to new data.

20 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If you're supposed to bat your best hitters 1st and 2nd what's the purpose of batting Slater 1st, lineup experts?

His career .366 onbase percentage vs lefty pitchers.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Not saying that it’s necessarily what I would do, but in a technical sense, they do have their two highest career OBPs against LHPs hitting 1st and 2nd — Slater at .366 and Adley at .382.

I think it comes down to what stock you put in Slater’s collapse this season. If you think he’s over-the-hill and a shell of himself (reasonable, if you do), then it’s goofy to put him up there for any reason. But for several years coming into this season, he would have been an extremely reasonable choice to lead off against a lefty. He posted a 140 wRC+ in 571 PAs against LHPs from 2020-2023 (32nd among all players), which included a .380 OBP. In terms of his neighbors on that particular leaderboard, that wRC+ is sandwiched between Jose Altuve and Ronald Acuna, Jr.

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Best I have for you is Slater leads the team in pitches per PA. Driving up pitch counts can benefit the rest of the team. It's also possible that Sigbot has pivoted to batting the best hitters in the 2-3 spots. Sigbot may be a dynamic intelligence that makes adjustments during the season in response to new data.

Why go beyond the basic, obvious stat of the fact that he has gotten onbase vs lefties in his career at a high rate.   That's the #1 prerequisite for a leadoff hitter, onbase percentage.   This isn't some mysterious Sigbot thing that is beyond the understanding of mere mortals, even though it seems to mystify so many people.

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Not saying that it’s necessarily what I would do, but in a technical sense, they do have their two highest career OBPs against LHPs hitting 1st and 2nd — Slater at .366 and Adley at .382.

I think it comes down to what stock you put in Slater’s collapse this season. If you think he’s over-the-hill and a shell of himself (reasonable, if you do), then it’s goofy to put him up there for any reason. But for several years coming into this season, he would have been an extremely reasonable choice to lead off against a lefty. He posted a 140 wRC+ in 571 PAs against LHPs from 2020-2023 (32nd among all players), which included a .380 OBP.

Exactly.   His collapse this year came in a year following October elbow surgery, he had a total of 133 MLB at bats before coming to the Orioles, and yeah, he was bad for those 133 at bats.   If you want to assume that his career has suddenly fallen off a cliff based on 133 at bats, sure, go ahead.   But the Orioles obviously didn't make that assumption, and he has rewarded them so far with 15 at bats of a .400/.500/.533/1.033 line.

And this week it looks like we face 5 lefties in the next 6 days... so we'll get a chance to see if the 133 at bats is a sign that he's washed up or just a sign that a part time player came back from surgery and underperformed for 133 at bats at age 31 after being a very servicable platoon OF vs LH at ages 29 and 30.

55 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He’s right handed. 

O’s are gonna see 5 left handed starters in the next 7 games. Gonna see a lot of Jimenez and Slater I’m sure and McCann will probably be in the lineup 2-3 times. Hope we can survive