Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would Burnes pitch game 4 on short rest in the playoffs if need be? A 1,4,7 possibility?

It feels like it makes more sense to just have him pitch games 1 and 5, and then be in the bullpen for game 7.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would Burnes pitch game 4 on short rest in the playoffs if need be? A 1,4,7 possibility?

Depends on the situation. If we are up 3-0 I think we'd take it easy and wait til game 5 if needed.

18 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

7 innings, 0 earned runs. 

A friend of mine was asking why the run Jackson scored on his homer was unearned and I explained it.  It is kind of an arbitrary rule though.  Jackson could just have easily hit a homer leading off the next inning.   

I actually felt Burnes didn’t have his best command or breaking stuff yesterday.  But when you’re a top level pitcher, you manage through that kind of stuff.  That’s the biggest difference between Burnes and our younger pitchers.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

A friend of mine was asking why the run Jackson scored on his homer was unearned and I explained it.  It is kind of an arbitrary rule though.  Jackson could just have easily hit a homer leading off the next inning.   

I actually felt Burnes didn’t have his best command or breaking stuff yesterday.  But when you’re a top level pitcher, you manage through that kind of stuff.  That’s the biggest difference between Burnes and our younger pitchers.  

I thought he looked pretty bad the first two innings but he looked very sharp the rest of the game. 

Burnes is amazingly consistent.  Reminds me a lot of how Mussina was.  Mussina had great stuff but not insane stuff like Johnson or Pedro, but he was really consistent.  He also seemed like he was never going to blow out. Burnes feels the same. Would love to sign him but am afraid other teams will offer way more. 

Edited by baltfan

I heard Brown today mention Corbin and his wife have more kiddos on the way.    Obviously life will be way more important whenever that occurs.   If Brown only had the news because it is close, Father's Day on a day you start and before an off day would be about as good as it gets.

Just curious but why is Erick Fedde worth 3.3 WAR and Corbin Burnes only worth 2.0 WAR?  Their stats are more or less the same but Burnes has more wins, more quality starts, lower WHIP and an ERA about a run lower. 

59 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

Just curious but why is Erick Fedde worth 3.3 WAR and Corbin Burnes only worth 2.0 WAR?  Their stats are more or less the same but Burnes has more wins, more quality starts, lower WHIP and an ERA about a run lower. 

Baseball Reference adjusts for quality of offenses faced, park factor, and team defense.

Orioles team dWAR is 1.0; White Sox is -4.7. First guess is Fedde is getting a lot of credit for achieving the same run prevention in front of inferior fielders.

Burnes has faced KCx2, Was, Mil, Tam, Sea, Torx2, Bosx2, Oak, Chw, NYY, LA.

Fedde has faced KCx2, Was, Mil, Tam, Sea, Tor, Bal, Min, CLEx2, Ari, STL, and Det. Doesn't seem like a huge difference there.

So it's probably the fielding adjustment. Is the White Sox stadium especially hitter-friendly?

• Upvote 3