Best Opening Day ever? I say yes.

Frobby

Just now, Philip said:

Most hopeful, without a doubt.

it is revealing that JAngelos remained in his lofty tower while Rubenstein hung out with the plebes.

I wonder if, at any point, JA said to himself,”I shoulda done that.”?

I disagree.  The spotlight belonged to Rubenstein today and JA had the good taste to stay out of it. 

I completely agree with the contrast you're trying to draw, however.

2 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I just checked and that is, in fact, the record!

Amazingly Orioles 3B Wayne Gross hit 11 HR in 1985 and drove in 18 RBI's.   That's just as amazing/depressing...

Gross misconduct?

2 hours ago, DocJJ said:

I just checked and that is, in fact, the record!

Amazingly Orioles 3B Wayne Gross hit 11 HR in 1985 and drove in 18 RBI's.   That's just as amazing/depressing...

Gross misconduct?

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I did not watch this game and I don't doubt the atmostphere was electric. However, I would go with 1989 (which I attended). Cal had a three run homer off Clemens, O's win in extras. I believe the winning play was one of those unusual situations (1st and 3rd, 1 out, game on the line) where the Sox went with a six man infield but Worthington was able to get a ball in the outfield to win the game. Was also significant because we started '88 with the Other Streak and this started us off as winners which carried through into a miraculous season.

https://www.mlb.com/video/ripken-s-home-run-off-clemens

THIS is my answer too. Clemens was dominant, and the O's beat him after the dreadful 1988 season. 

Not sure what to think of the idea that they didn’t do anything to honor Angelos’ death outside of showing his name with everyone else who passed away.

Worried he would get booed?  Didn’t want to do anything to take any shine off of the new owners?

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure what to think of the idea that they didn’t do anything to honor Angelos’ death outside of showing his name with everyone else who passed away.

Worried he would get booed?  Didn’t want to do anything to take any shine off of the new owners?

I am pretty sure they didn’t want him to get booed.  It would have been a bad look.

• Upvote 1

I do think today hit on all cylinders — a lot of exciting Opening Days, but this one does feel different. It’s a vibe I felt in Sarasota 10-days ago. Prior years O’s fans have displayed a well earned sense of cynicism, be it bad drafts, budget constraints, horrific signings or no signings, etc.

Ed Smith Stadium was like an amusement park. Fans were….happy. Happy in line for food, happy in the stand, happy buying anything with B-More stamped on it in an overcrowded, cheap T-Shirt inventory fan shop. The place sold out again (both games I attended) versus the half empty ballpark I experienced the last time I visited Sarasota.

New cool ownership group, a team coming off a 101-win AL East title year, competitive spring, tough roster choices, an Ace on the hill, a chance to have financial support for all levels of operations (stadium to the roster) and a GM who seems to be getting warmed up — all seem to be contributing to my unreasonable optimism and enjoyment of today’s launch into 2024.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

I disagree.  The spotlight belonged to Rubenstein today and JA had the good taste to stay out of it. 

I completely agree with the contrast you're trying to draw, however.

Thanks, but I think you misunderstood me.

my point was that John did what he always does, which was stay in his lofty tower. The fact that it was discreet to do so today doesn’t change that. He would’ve done it anyway. 
John is not the kind of guy who rubs  elbows with the common folk

I'm glad to see so much optimism and satisfied Orioles fans here. And it's always fun to win in the way the Orioles won today at home.

With that said, I'm alot more even keel about it. I'm not going to get too high and I'm not getting too low because it's just one game of 162 and I've got my eyes set on the real prize at the end of the season: A World Series Championship.