Best Opening Day ever? I say yes.

Frobby

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Does it really need to be explained that better talent that is young and has all their service time is a better bet than aging middling players that are going to be expensive and on the wrong side of 30?

It doesn’t mean they will be better..it just means that it’s a smarter bet to make.

That sounds a little different from what you said before.  You were talking about who’s more talented, not who’s older or more expensive.  Honestly, this is a better argument than the one you made previously.   

My point is that guys who appear very talented when facing minor league competition sometimes turn out to be not as talented as people thought when their flaws are exposed in the majors.   And it’s tough to predict which guys it will be.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That sounds a little different from what you said before.  You were talking about who’s more talented, not who’s older or more expensive.  Honestly, this is a better argument than the one you made previously.   

My point is that guys who appear very talented when facing minor league competition sometimes turn out to be not as talented as people thought when their flaws are exposed in the majors.   And it’s tough to predict which guys it will be.   

Disagree with a lot of what you are saying here. Your love for guys like Hays clouds your judgement of the legit talent the Os have imo.

But we agree that talent doesn’t mean production will occur..but I’ll take my chances with the level of talent these guys have.

And btw, age, service time and salary ALWAYS is part of any of these discussions. It’s like saying, “if you get enough in trade….”  That should go without saying.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

In my mind, how the rest of the season goes has nothing to do with how good Opening Day was.  How the season is expected to go does have a lot to do with it, however.  

I have to say, I wasn’t alive for 1954, but having a new franchise had to make that OD awfully hard to top.  

I get that... but several have mentioned that the memorable 1989 Opening Day was great.   Beating Clemens after being so awful the year before.   But I'll bet it would be a lot less remembered if we had gone out and had another 100 loss season in 1989 instead of the Why  Not turnaround.

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I haven't read through the whole thread, but the one opening day that's always stood out to me was '82. Really good team, I was 11, and on the first day of the season rookie Cal Ripken and Eddie both homer in a 13-5 win.

But yesterday was up there...

Yep, that was a great one.   Went with a bunch of high school friends, snuck out of school early.   Beautiful day out in the LF bleachers.   And Cal and Eddie homered, I think Dan Ford and maybe Roenicke too?   And one of them was a grand slam.   The first Opening Day I ever went to.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Oh man, don't get me started on Rob Long. He's fine on his radio shows, but the man cannot spit out a sentence to save his life on live TV. It's abysmal. I like the guy, but he is objectively bad at pre- and post-game duties. It's shocking. 
    • I don't expect that from national broadcasts either, but I do expect that the delivery at least be enjoyable, and I don't find them to be. All a matter of taste, of course.
    • Pre, Post, "sideline" stuff, she's fine, no issues. Calling games? Oh hell no. I tried, i really, really tried, but she's horrible. Please, MASN, no more. 
    • I wonder if she read this board. The standard is so very high for orioles broadcasts—both TV and radio. I know everyone loves Jon miller, but for my money Joe Angel had the best set of golden pipes in history. Melanie carries the company water and is better than Mike Bordick and Jim Hunter. So there’s that. She’s done well making a name for herself. I at least  know her name and voice. The other two in the radio broadcast. I seriously have no idea what their names are. They’re comply nondescript and without any personality. I know one has a punchy voice and another is very nasally.    
    • I am not a fan of Melanie except for pre and post game.   Another mistake last night, Nats down by 2, I believe in the 11th inning the first batter hit a grounder to the right side and the runner that was placed on 2nd advanced to 3rd on the out.  Melanie said the batter did his job by advancing the runner?  You are down by 2, what in actually being accomplished by making an out?? That is the stuff that tells me that she doesn't understand the game enough to be doing PBP in the majors.
    • I didn't say they were great.  But I also think people here have different expectations from local broadcasters and what you get on a national broadcast.   I don't know if I've seen anyone on here be complimentary of a national broadcast crew no matter the situation (playoffs, in-season broadcast, etc).  Like, a national broadcast team is supposed to talk about things at a general level.  They're not supposed to be super in depth about the Orioles, they'll know a few things that they'll have found on some simple research, but overall they're really not here for us...and when I say us, I mean the die hard Orioles fans who are aware of what side Connor Norby leans when he farts in the Tides dugout.   So, I don't expect great things from the Apple TV broadcast crew tomorrow night because they're not here to cater to people like me.  And I'll enjoy not listening to Kevin Brown.
    • Well based off the last half season of baseball, lots of players are better than Hays. He has literally been a below replacement level player. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now