Bullpen 2024

13 minutes ago, dystopia said:

2014 was only his third year as a reliever. I don’t like fwar for pitchers. He had a higher K/9 and lower BB/9 than Scott does. 

Wonderful.

Andrew Miller threw a total of 71 innings in 2012 and 2013 combined.

Tanner Scott threw 78 in 2023 alone.

Edited by RZNJ

17 hours ago, dystopia said:

I’d like to get Hunter Harvey, we don’t need another LHP out of the pen especially once Coulombe gets back 

Harvey has been good, but not dominant this year and has had an up and down June. Would I be ok acquiring him for the pen? Sure, he's better than Baker, but I'm not giving up more than a Conner Norby or Trace Bright kind of prospects for him. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, Hyde was managing for the series win last night. Four game sweeps are tough. Cano, Webb, and Perez should be off limits today. We do have an off day on Monday. 

And Kimbral too, at least we got 3 so far, need Irvin and so more offense today.

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Andrew Miller had more reversion risk when we got him but ok.  It's going to take someone in our 6-10 prospect range, I think.

Scott is a rental since he's a free agent in 2025 but he is an impact arm that can get right-handers and left-handers out. 

I'd absolutely send a guy like Beavers or Norby to acquire him for the stretch run.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Scott is a rental since he's a free agent in 2025 but he is an impact arm that can get right-handers and left-handers out. 

I'd absolutely send a guy like Beavers or Norby to acquire him for the stretch run.

Right.  One of those two or Bradfield.

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Kimbrel seems to be gaining some confidence back; but man, there are times where he is Full Pack revisited.

Kimbrel was shaky in that one stretch through April for sure, but he's been very good since May. He's blown one save and has that walk off loss in Toronto when he made the throwing error.

image.thumb.png.4cbb40eeda6c1a65f1fac8130f26ef48.png

He's 11 for 12 in save situations and batters are OPSing .417 off him over that period. 

Kimbrel is doing the job he was asked to do. Now we need to add one or maybe two impact setup guys. When I mean impact set up guys, they are guy you don't need to take out when the opposite hand batter is coming up. 

Webb, Cano, Akin and Perez have done the job more times than not, but none of their FIPs are under 3. We need that "2nd closer" type that when he's on the mound in the 8th, you feel confident it's going to the 9th still ahead or tied.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Right.  One of those two or Bradfield.

I'm not saying Bradfield is untouchable in any way, but I want to see him in AA before getting too down on him. Lots of guys playing well in the majors right now for the Orioles had poor or below average numbers in Aberdeen. 

I think Beavers with maybe a guy like Armbruster or Strowd could potentially get it done. Scott is a rental so Elias is not going to give up to much, but I do think Scott would look very good in this pen and when Coulombe comes back, assuming he looks like the same guy, now we have a couple weapons late in the game.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Something stood out to me last night about Kimbrel. The Os needed an out in the 8th inning and there doesn’t seem like there was a consideration to have Kimbrel get a 4 out save.

Now I can’t say I blame Hyde for that, just that it could be an issue come playoff time.  Most teams are able to ask their closers to do that and I’m not sure the Os will do that with him or even trust him to do that.

They would do that with Felix at times.

Just have to get multiple high leverage relievers this deadline.

I don’t know how much it is from not trusting Kimbrel, or him only being comfortable coming in a clean inning because he’s been doing it his whole career, or just not wanting to push him too much regular season. But a big factor just from an effectiveness point of view is that Kimbrel is prone to throw a ton of pitches. Feels a lot less reliable that he can get 4 outs before running out of gas and his effectiveness falling off. Kimbrel’s age and earlier season minor injury woes, and apparent large benefit from more rest are also distinguishing factors.

Bautista also throws a lot of pitches of course, but he’s so unhittable it hardly seems to matter.  But he also blew out his arm while carrying a very high workload and a lot of multi-inning regular season appearances, so it could also simply be that the Orioles are recalibrating toward not wanting to risk their best RP that way in the regular season, especially with all the other considerations.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

With a leadoff walk and stolen base! Sure looked like he might blow another one. Fortunately the Rangers didn't bunt and Kimbrel got a popup. The leadoff man is incredibly important for Kimbrel in these one run games. I almost want to use Cano or someone else in the one run games. 

I have no confidence in Cano in these situations. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'm as concerned with Kremer as I am with Irvin. Both havent exactly looked stellar lately....Hope Kremer isn't hurting...

I am concerned about Kremer and Irvin . Hopefully they both make adjustments and make strides.  But either way, they need a #2 or# 3 starter from the deadline. Along with relief upgrades . 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Kimbrel was shaky in that one stretch through April for sure, but he's been very good since May. He's blown one save and has that walk off loss in Toronto when he made the throwing error.

image.thumb.png.4cbb40eeda6c1a65f1fac8130f26ef48.png

He's 11 for 12 in save situations and batters are OPSing .417 off him over that period. 

Kimbrel is doing the job he was asked to do. Now we need to add one or maybe two impact setup guys. When I mean impact set up guys, they are guy you don't need to take out when the opposite hand batter is coming up. 

Webb, Cano, Akin and Perez have done the job more times than not, but none of their FIPs are under 3. We need that "2nd closer" type that when he's on the mound in the 8th, you feel confident it's going to the 9th still ahead or tied.

Fair enough, but it "feels" like he has struggled getting the third out.  He'll get one or two, seem to miss wildly for a batter or two, and then get it together.  Maybe that's not exactly the way each time, but when he leads with a ball to a batter, I start to feel the need a of cigarette. ;)

4 hours ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Fair enough, but it "feels" like he has struggled getting the third out.  He'll get one or two, seem to miss wildly for a batter or two, and then get it together.  Maybe that's not exactly the way each time, but when he leads with a ball to a batter, I start to feel the need a of cigarette. ;)

Trust me, I get it. I'm not saying I'm sitting there all confident when Kimbrel has guys on base in one run games, but I do know that he can strike guys out and get them to pop up. He's not easy to barrel.

• Upvote 1