Chayce McDermott 2024

Frobby

Love McDermott and Povich leaning into the cutter at the AAA level. I think both their fastballs are good enough, but not plus, so they really benefit from a second hard offering with a wrinkle that they can more reliably throw for strikes than their offspeed.

For both pitchers the cutter is a better choice than the sinker because it will help them out more with the platoon matchups, and while Povich has the change and McDermott the split, neither are their best/primary offspeed pitches. 

The cutter in particular is VERY interesting for McDermott because of his elite ability for spin on his breakers. He should hopefully be able to develop that into a pretty wicked cutter. I’m hoping that is the key to getting him in the zone more. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Thursday 6/13

6.2IP 4R 3ER 4H 4BB 3K 

57/99 for 57%

Two of the runs were allowed after McDermott left the game with two outs in the 7th.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2024 at 11:08 AM, Tony-OH said:

While true, it does not mean quality stuff does not get major league hitters to chase, and McDermott's two breaking balls are quality major league offerings. 

I share the concerns about uncompetitive pitches, but McDermott does throw enough pitches in the zone and has the quality of the breaking balls to at least work in relief in my opinion. Now ill it work as a starter, I just don't know yet. I do think he could be an asset in the pen this year though. Maybe not in high leverage right now, but I'd put him in that two inning 5th or 6th inning role and see how he looks for a bit.

What percentage of his misses are uncompetitive in your opinion?  Is he just completely missing where the catcher is setting up?  

I haven’t seen him pitch this year so curious what folks who see him consistently are seeing.  

1 hour ago, Philip said:

So, is the clock ticking on his promotion?

Is there a reason it should be? He’s still walking 5.5+ batters per 9. He’s still got things he can work on. No rush to get him up unless it’s as a reliever down the stretch or a spot start. 

13 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Is there a reason it should be? He’s still walking 5.5+ batters per 9. He’s still got things he can work on. No rush to get him up unless it’s as a reliever down the stretch or a spot start. 

I agree that he's not done nearly enough to legitimately earn a promotion as a starter.  However, we're getting so thin with starters and relievers I'm willing to bet he gets promoted at some point as a reliever.

On 6/14/2024 at 8:40 PM, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

What percentage of his misses are uncompetitive in your opinion?  Is he just completely missing where the catcher is setting up?  

I haven’t seen him pitch this year so curious what folks who see him consistently are seeing.  

That's really hard to say without looking at the data. Similar to Povich, just a few too many pitches that are balls out of the hand.