Chayce McDermott 2024

Frobby

Chayce McDermott had kind of an archetypical evening in the season opener, allowing only 1 run on 1 hit (a ground single), but walking 5 guys, throwing only 4.1 innings, and throwing only 46 of 85 pitches for strikes.  He did strike out 6 batters, so he was pretty dominant when he actually threw the ball over the plate, but he didn’t throw it over the plate often enough.  The one run he allowed was a leadoff walk in the fifth inning that scored after he left the game.  So, I’d call the game both encouraging and discouraging.   

He got to one of the two true outcomes ~60% of the time to bore his fielders to death.     Savant credited him with the most swings and misses in AAA, but it was also near the worst K-bb performances in the league.

Pitching up 8-0 starting in the 3rd inning, a little more fill up the strike zone proficiency would have been in order. 

• Upvote 1

image.thumb.png.368303088607136e8727e5fc0012e7ab.png

Great WHIFF rate and a 64% zcontact rate on his 4-seamer is really impressive and show how even with a 93.4 MPH avg, it plays up.

Still, it took him 85 pitches to get through 4.1 innings. As someone said, it was very much a DL Hall like start. 

With a 26% oSwings% he did not get a ton of chase, but nothing really got hit hard off him either. 

When you watch McDermott, you definitely see a guy who will have success at the major league level, but similar to Hall (With the Orioles), it will be in the bullpen if he doesn't get the ball in the zone more or garner more chase.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I guess they want to learn the hard way that D.L. Hall isn't a starting pitcher.

You, me, and the next guy think that’s likely the role. I’m pretty stoked the kid is getting a chance.  Easy guy to pull for.  I’m 💯 go Hall!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Hall went 4ip 2BB 1K 2 ER 45/73 today for Mil

I was blacked out on mlb.tv but on Gameday I don’t think one fastball registered above 93 mph which basically aligns with what I saw during two ST starts.  He’s got 4 pitches and if he throws strikes he can succeed but it’s curious that the velo is down again.

8 hours ago, emmett16 said:

You, me, and the next guy think that’s likely the role. I’m pretty stoked the kid is getting a chance.  Easy guy to pull for.  I’m 💯 go Hall!

I hope he makes the best of this chance and has a great career. But he's five (if you're lucky) and dive as a starter and likely an inconsistent one. I think he'll be a very good reliever. I think we're going to miss him more than Joey Ortiz.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I was blacked out on mlb.tv but on Gameday I don’t think one fastball registered above 93 mph which basically aligns with what I saw during two ST starts.  He’s got 4 pitches and if he throws strikes he can succeed but it’s curious that the velo is down again.

Did he not get his off season weight lifting program in? That was the excuse for his poor velo last year.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Another 5 walk effort tonight but this time, he couldn’t get through 4 innings.

Real disappointing start to the season for him.

Don’t love the right center field angle of the camera but his stuff looked Meh as well. The gun had him 92-93 and I couldn’t get good read on off speed break.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Don’t love the right center field angle of the camera but his stuff looked Meh as well. The gun had him 92-93 and I couldn’t get good read on off speed break.

His curve ball looked like it had a lot of 12-to-6 break to it and the speed dropped a lot from the FB.  He just had a rough time locating it.