Chayce McDermott 2024

Frobby

31 minutes ago, Conway12 said:

68% Strike Rate (sorry if this upsets anyone, lol). Needed 105 pitches pitches to get through 5 innings though. 

I'll take this outing all day. 1 walk is all I really care about. Keep cookin. 

1 hour ago, Conway12 said:

68% Strike Rate (sorry if this upsets anyone, lol). Needed 105 pitches pitches to get through 5 innings though. 

It's kind of unusual to throw 105 pitches in 5 innings while only allowing 5 hits and one walk, and throwing 68% strikes.  There must have been a ton of foul balls.   

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

It's kind of unusual to throw 105 pitches in 5 innings while only allowing 5 hits and one walk, and throwing 68% strikes.  There must have been a ton of foul balls.   

Looks like he had 30 pitches that were fouled off. I don't really have any reference if that is high or low, but sounds high to me. 

3 minutes ago, Conway12 said:

Looks like he had 30 pitches that were fouled off. I don't really have any reference if that is high or low, but sounds high to me. 

That’s a ton.  An average major leaguer throws 63.9% strikes and 27.8% of those are fouled off.  So maybe 18% of pitches are fouled off.  McDermott probably had 8-9 more foul balls than you’d normally expect. 

• Thanks 2

Dominant start continuing a string of 3 great starts, most importantly completely reversing the walk problem. 21 whiffs is a huge number, good to see after the start with all the foul balls.

Maybe the back issue is under control now or he’s made some mechanical tweaks? He’s back to looking like a guy who may be ready to contribute down the stretch this year.

13 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Dominant start continuing a string of 3 great starts, most importantly completely reversing the walk problem. 21 whiffs is a huge number, good to see after the start with all the foul balls.

Maybe the back issue is under control now or he’s made some mechanical tweaks? He’s back to looking like a guy who may be ready to contribute down the stretch this year.

Dominant start in which he allowed 4 ER on 8 hits (including a homer and three doubles) in 5 innings?   Relevant facts omitted by On the Verge in their tweet.  

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It’s great to see the low walks and high strikeouts but the boxscore says 8 hits and 4 runs in 5 innings.  Unless I’m just being Billy Boxscore that’s not dominant but it does look like he’s on the right track and might help at some point.

Haha, I’ll admit I did not check how he did outside of that tweet, but yeah quite an omission and not fair to call that start dominant. But with McDermott I’m very much focused on the BB rate, and the K/whiff rates since he’s going to be a higher BB guy even with improvements so he will need to offset that with K’s.

So the 27 K / 3 BB in 16.2 IP and piling up the whiffs are the only factors I’m really paying attention to anyway. Those are the most predictive, and on the season (even with the terrible walk rates) he hasn’t had an issue with hard contact and an ERA out of line with his peripherals (it’s been the exact opposite, he’s been well ahead of his FIP/xFIP). 

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Haha, I’ll admit I did not check how he did outside of that tweet, but yeah quite an omission and not fair to call that start dominant. But with McDermott I’m very much focused on the BB rate, and the K/whiff rates since he’s going to be a higher BB guy even with improvements so he will need to offset that with K’s.

So the 27 K / 3 BB in 16.2 IP and piling up the whiffs are the only factors I’m really paying attention to anyway. Those are the most predictive, and on the season (even with the terrible walk rates) he hasn’t had an issue with hard contact and an ERA out of line with his peripherals (it’s been the exact opposite, he’s been well ahead of his FIP/xFIP). 

I think there were positives to take from that outing, for sure.  Overall, McDermott has been trending in a better direction the last few outings.  I just am amused at how On the Verge always spins things in the most positive way possible without even mentioning the negative.   

It seems like the last few starts McDermott is now pounding the zone, but letting up some home runs. Maybe they told him, hey just chuck it in there. He still gets a lot of whiffs. I'll take some home runs over a bunch of walks. Let's see if he can find the sweet spot. 

Edited by interloper

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

From the video, it looks like he really gets on top of the ball and drives it down.  Giving him that "heavy fastball".  He's not the closer that we need, but he most certainly looks to be an option as a middle relief impact arm for the MLB team later this season.  

Edited by sportsfan8703