Gunnar Henderson 2024

23 hours ago, Just Regular said:

B-Ref this morning has Gunnar's 5.4 rWAR decimals ahead of Judge's 5.4, and it also now gives him a 12.5-12.4 career edge on Adley even with Rutschman's half season head start.

Both are just a couple rWAR away from entering the Top 100 active players, regardless of career length.     They both have a chance to catch Adam Frazier this season.

fWAR has Gunnar jumping ahead 5.5 to Judge 5.1. Maybe separating from Soto and Witt's 4.5.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1.  I really don’t think he protests that often.

2.  He’s getting WAY more calls this year than he did last year.  So clearly, any protesting he’s doing isn’t hurting him with the umps.   

3.  I never noticed that constant whining by Jeter or Ortiz ever hurt them with the umps.  

Totally overblown topic IMO.   Nothing to see here.  

I came here to say all this.  He’s got a TON of calls this year.  So many that he’s likely expecting more.  He’s doing nothing to embarrass himself and obviously the little complaint isn’t hurting anything.  He’s competing and I love the controlled emotion. 

WHO CARES!  

Celebrate the man and try to enjoy one of the best single season performances you’ll ever see. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

2.  He’s getting WAY more calls this year than he did last year.  So clearly, any protesting he’s doing isn’t hurting him with the umps.   

3.  I never noticed that constant whining by Jeter or Ortiz ever hurt them with the umps.  

Totally agree. Also, there is a difference between jawing and a quick look back/head shake/civil conversation/premature move toward 1B. I've never seen anything from Gunnar that crosses the line to actually disrespect the umpire. Should he do it? No, but he's an intense kid and that's part of what drives him to greatness.

• Upvote 1

I said this last year when he was called up for the first time. 

He shows ELITE all over the place.  Athletic ability.  Not just great at baseball but elite athleticism.  Speed.  Power.   Makes spectacular plays in the field look routine.   Has  a HUGE drive to compete and win.

IMO if he can stay healthy?  He will go down as one of the greatest players of all timezzzz.

Yes I said it. :)

17 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I said this last year when he was called up for the first time. 

He shows ELITE all over the place.  Athletic ability.  Not just great at baseball but elite athleticism.  Speed.  Power.   Makes spectacular plays in the field look routine.   Has  a HUGE drive to compete and win.

IMO if he can stay healthy?  He will go down as one of the greatest players of all timezzzz.

Yes I said it. :)

He was called up for the first time two years ago.  Maybe you weren't playing attention?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agree on all points. We are out here criticizing just for the sake of criticizing… a 22 year old kid who some could argue, is the best player in the sport right now. At just 22 years old. 

Gunnar’s production could fall off of a cliff (I think that’s unlikely but it could happen for any number of reasons) and he could fade into the ether and all of this critiquing would fade with him.

I think that it’s very easy for us to forget what it’s like to be 22. What was I doing at 22? Hanging onto my own professional aspirations and doing dumb shit on a daily basis. Certainly nothing remotely close to performing at the most elite level in MLB, in front of tens of thousands of people everyday.

What most folks don’t realize is that a big separator of athletes from average Joes is their obsession with their craft. I’ve known and played alongside and against many many extremely talented ball players who had every physical tool that one would need to make it and they fell short (for many reasons but mostly) due to their lack of drive and commitment. Gunnar has oodles of it which is why he can be fiery on the field. Catching some of the podcast with Gunnar, Adley and Cowser, shows a softer side of Gunnar off of the field. I’m perfectly fine with the kid being utterly obsessed with being good and caring about what he does.

Also, someone recently posted a great explanation of why the robot umps initially weren’t going to work and how the strategy of the strike zone had to be altered. The strike zone that we see on tv and even in the pitch tracking is only so good. What some of these folks who are criticizing Gunnar for his response to borderline pitches are failing to realize is that the strike zone isn’t always black and white. If the umpire is giving the outside corner for the entire game then randomly doesn’t call it in a particular AB, then I have no issue with someone not liking it. And vice versa. You called that a ball all night yet when I’m up in a pressure situation you rang me up on the same borderline pitch.

I have zero issue with the way that Gunnar handles himself at the plate. I believe that these ball players mostly have a better feel for the strike zone than the majority of the umpires who call games. I don’t care if a ball an inch off the plate is being called a strike, so long as it’s called that way consistently. But we have some folks who just want something to complain about. Get out of here. The kid is a generational talent who gives a shit about what he’s doing. I’d much rather have that player than an Anthony Rendon. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was called up for the first time two years ago.  Maybe you weren't playing attention?

YOU

JUST

CAN'T

RESIST

I wasn't a member here 2 years ago.  When I posted that I said it, I meant that I said it to my friends/wife/dog when he was first called up that fall....2 years ago.

And then when I joined here last year, I said it then as well.   That he impressed me as far as elite traits.  And the home run he where his hair was flying all over and his helmet flew off?   I said this guy has 'it'.  Whatever 'it' is.   

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

Why does it seem like all the pundits pick Witt over Gunnar, when Gunnar is younger and already measurably better right now?

Anti-Baltimore bias. It’s a real thing whether people want to admit it or not. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hard to keep track when you're participating in the PBA tour, PBR tour, Olympic trials, Mr. Universe, and ATP Tour all at the same time. Give the guy a break, okay?

Just now, spleen1015 said:

Hard to keep track when you're participating in the PBA tour, PBR tour, Olympic trials, Mr. Universe, and ATP Tour all at the same time. Give the guy a break, okay?

And here we go......

You guys always have to go personal.  

YOU

JUST

CAN'T

RESIST

You want to talk pro?  Here is a PRO tip.  Don't talk about me.  Talk about the Orioles.  

19 hours ago, Malike said:

Take your own advice and enjoy him instead of shitting all over him when he doesn't come through with the bases loaded and act like he's garbage. There are receipts, I'm not going to get them.

There's a difference between a reaction in a game thread and your take about him having some kind of emotional problems because he potentially mean mugged an umpire after striking out.

And I'm also pretty sure the worse thing I've ever said in a game thread about him was something like, "That was a rare poor PA". So no, I never have ever made him out to be "garbage."

19 hours ago, Malike said:

You're literally the guy saying Gunner is complete garbage when he doesn't do something in high-leverage situations and "he's the last player you want to see" "he comes up small when the bases are loaded like clockwork".

What? I've never said those things, even in the game threads. Which by the way, YOU know we don't bring game thread stuff into the rest of the board. What's wrong with you?

19 hours ago, accinfo said:

This was a quote in the game thread the other night.  It is like Oriole fans criticizing Frank Robinson in 1966.  I just don’t understand what people are watching.  Of course Gunnar the free swinger is leading the team with 40 walks.

We don't bring quotes from the game threads into the main board. The game threads are for the initial reactions, many of which are irrational. Everyone in the game threads knows this. 

The game threads are supposed to be the place where people can just react in the moment and not have them brought over into the main board like those are your rational thoughts after having time to cool down.