Gunnar Henderson 2024

20 hours ago, interloper said:

I just disagree with this. He didn't have his feet under him at all, there was never a chance that throw was going to work. 

There is no way any player is not going to try and win the game when they have a chance. A good throw there and the game is over and they win. I don't fault him at all for trying to make that play.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is no way any player is not going to try and win the game when they have a chance. A good throw there and the game is over and they win. I don't fault him at all for trying to make that play.

Yeah, later on in the thread I came around to agree with this after watching the play a few times. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I’m not sure if a good throw would have beaten the runner, but I’m not going to blame Gunnar for trying.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure if a good throw would have beaten the runner, but I’m not going to blame Gunnar for trying.  

Definitely agree with this.  It wasn't like when Gunnar threw it I thought there was no way the throw could possibly be on time. I was actually surprised regarding how quickly he got down the line.

• Upvote 1

Very nice play to get a fast runner Rafaela on a groundball towards the hole.    It felt like the kind of play where Holliday and Westburg's arms would have been short, thus the puzzle seeming to drift into place Gunnar's got the six.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

I just had to mention this:

That line drive triple Henderson hit to center in Fenway last night was a laser.  What was the EV on that?  I feel bad for that ball. 

He hit at least one other at 110+. He was actually unlucky last night. 

Being spoiled by Gunnar's talent, one dimension of it for me last night was the sure thought "that's a triple" the instant I saw where it was going.

Triples by reputation are baseball's most exciting play because they usually involve a fair contest between a fast runner and a strong arm.

He's 95th percentile early at Fangraphs BsR (counting stat) because of course he is.