Gunnar Henderson 2024

Love Gunnar, but.

Guy's gotta learn to hit lefties. 
Guy's gotta learn when to make the more conservative defensive play depending on the game situation (i.e., tie game with no throw vs. walkoff loss with the rushed/awkward throw). 

Edited by interloper

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Love Gunnar, but.

Guy's gotta learn to hit lefties. 
Guy's gotta learn when to make the more conservative defensive play depending on the game situation (i.e., tie game with no throw vs. walkoff loss with the rushed/awkward throw). 

- Yes, he does

- There is no way that he should not try to make that play.

• Upvote 4

Career .885 OPS vs RHP.   (580 PA)

Career .582 OPS vs LHP.   (213 PA)

That is a pretty striking differential.   Not saying he can't improve against lefties eventually and I'm NOT saying he should be a platoon player.

But idk...........maybe............just maybe.............. he shouldn't be leading off vs LHP right now?

Just now, Aglets said:

Career .885 OPS vs RHP.   (580 PA)

Career .582 OPS vs LHP.   (213 PA)

That is a pretty striking differential.   Not saying he can't improve against lefties eventually and I'm NOT saying he should be a platoon player.

But idk...........maybe............just maybe.............. he shouldn't be leading off vs LHP right now?

I don’t like him batting lead off at all.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

- Yes, he does

I just disagree with this. He didn't have his feet under him at all, there was never a chance that throw was going to work. 

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

- Yes, he does

Correct.  We would have been in bad shape if they just tied it in the 9th.  Gunnar went for it.  He’s a winner.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just disagree with this. He didn't have his feet under him at all, there was never a chance that throw was going to work. 

Zero issue with him believing in his arm And ability to go for that. Thats the attitude I want from my best player. It didn’t work. It happens.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Ha.  You’ve never seen Gunnar complete a throw without his feet being set?   To say “never a chance” is complete hogwash.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Zero issue with him believing in his arm And ability to go for that. Thats the attitude I want from my best player. It didn’t work. It happens.

I do get this take. I just think you can be both confident and smart. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ha.  You’ve never seen Gunnar complete a throw without his feet being set?   To say “never a chance” is complete hogwash.

I haven't seen him make a play like that, no, not when the positioning and momentum is that out of whack. It's fine to disagree! I would have liked him to put it in his pocket. I'm not blasting the guy or anything. 

Certainly your opinion seems to jive with Hyde, who agrees with you. So I understand it's not a popular take. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I do get this take. I just think you can be both confident and smart. 

Smart = not trying to win the game with a throw you can make versus settling for a tie (Pirates could have still won it in the 9th) going into extras on the road with 2 of 3 best relievers unavailable and Cano probably spent?

I was honestly surprised the runner got down the line so fast. The ball was hit hard and Gunnar fielded it pretty clean. If the throw beats the runner we win the game. If not, you still trust your 1B to make the stop. The throw was worth the risk. The risk just showed up.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Smart = not trying to win the game with a throw you can make versus settling for a tie (Pirates could have still won it in the 9th) going into extras on the road with 2 of 3 best relievers unavailable and Cano probably spent?

Where we disagree is the bolded part, that's all.