Gunnar Henderson 2024

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No doubt….but I also think he thought he would get him, which he would have if the throw was accurate.

I think Tellez not sliding made it a very hard play.   I don’t think Gunnar anticipated Tellez wouldn’t slide and didn’t have time to put it in his pocket. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Where we disagree is the bolded part, that's all. 

If you have never seen Gunnar make a tougher throw then you must listen to the games on the radio.  Would have been a great play.  I have a BIG problem with you saying it never had a chance.  Like he doesn’t make that play 10 of 10 times or something.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If you have never seen Gunnar make a tougher throw then you must listen to the games on the radio.  Would have been a great play.  I have a BIG problem with you saying it never had a chance.  Like he doesn’t make that play 10 of 10 times or something.

Well he clearly doesn't, or he would have made that play. 

I'm just saying when I watched it with my own eyes, I knew it had no chance. Now did I assume he'd make a good enough throw for Mounty to catch it? Definitely, yes. But it was never going to make it in time. So why risk it?

Edited by interloper

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well he clearly doesn't, or he would have made that play. 

I'm just saying when I watched it with my own eyes, I knew it had no chance. Now did I assume he'd make a good enough throw for Mounty to catch it? Definitely, yes. But it was never going to make it in time. So why risk it?

I’m not saying he makes it 10 of 10.  You’re talking like he makes it 0 of 10.  I think he probably makes it better than 50% of the time.   No way to prove it but I paused on replay when the ball is 5 feet from Mountcastle and the runner just takes his last lunge.  I think the throw beats him if on target.  

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m not saying he makes it 10 of 10.  You’re talking like he makes it 0 of 10.  I think he probably makes it better than 50% of the time.   No way to prove it but I paused on replay when the ball is 5 feet from Mountcastle and the runner just takes his last lunge.  I think the throw beats him if on target.  

After watching it a few times just now, I will concede he probably should attempt it. It's do or die and he's kind of off-balance and hucking it side arm. Just not his best throw. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

After watching it a few times just now, I will concede he probably should attempt it. It's do or die and he's kind of off-balance and hucking it side arm. Just not his best throw. 

Someone can probably do better.  Here’s a shot of the ball just before the runners foot hits the bag.  Keep in mind, if the throw is on target Mountcastle is probably catching it right now.

image.thumb.png.a0035808b109f1cc477f388b5be72acd.png

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Do you think if Gunnar doesn't throw it ,that the runner from second would have tried to score?Would have been a tough throw and he would have to get up and make an accurate throw home at a tough angle 

Man, watching that play live, my first thought after Gunnar managed to field the ball was "Holy sh-t! Dude just won this game with a play like that!"

I'm still shocked it turned out as it did.

No way I'm asking Gunnar to put that in his pocket. Had he, there'd be folks on here criticizing him for that.

27 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Man, watching that play live, my first thought after Gunnar managed to field the ball was "Holy sh-t! Dude just won this game with a play like that!"

I'm still shocked it turned out as it did.

No way I'm asking Gunnar to put that in his pocket. Had he, there'd be folks on here criticizing him for that.

Agree 100 percent. As a great man once said: “you play to win the game.”