Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I would not say the bar is set at elite.  He has to be major league average, or close.  It’s not clear that he is.   

Theoretically. So far in the Elias era we tend to trot out elite defense all around the IF. Even Joey Ortiz. Part of that is because we’re young too. 

I’d love to see Mayo up, but we get mad when our bullpen gives up a run. Imagine errors. 

On 7/6/2024 at 9:16 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Theoretically. So far in the Elias era we tend to trot out elite defense all around the IF. Even Joey Ortiz. Part of that is because we’re young too. 

I’d love to see Mayo up, but we get mad when our bullpen gives up a run. Imagine errors. 

Yet he went almost a whole year with Frazier at 2B when Ortiz would have been a clear upgrade defensively. 

Mayo's throwing accuracy can be shaky at times, but so can Henderson. Now Henderson has improved a lot at the major league level with his accuracy, can Mayo? Don't know.

But I do know his bat his going to be elite. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yet he went almost a whole year with Frazier at 2B when Ortiz would have been a clear upgrade defensively. 

Mayo's throwing accuracy can be shaky at times, but so can Henderson. Now Henderson has improved a lot at the major league level with his accuracy, can Mayo? Don't know.

But I do know his bat his going to be elite. 

I’ll take the growing pains/mistakes/errors all day to get Mayo in the lineup. We just gotta find a taker for Urias.  Mayo has well earned the promotion. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’ll take the growing pains/mistakes/errors all day to get Mayo in the lineup. We just gotta find a taker for Urias.  Mayo has well earned the promotion. 

I agree, except for the 'gotta find a taker for Urias'.  We should NOT refuse to improve the team just because we can't unload Urias on someone.  Sure, I'd MUCH rather trade him and get some value for him.  But if no one wants him or isn't willing to give us anything for him, I'm not keeping Mayo in the minors just because I'm not willing to cut Urias.  Trade him IF we can, cut him if we must.  But let's get Mayo's bat in the lineup.  

• Upvote 1

With the current roster, where do you play him? Id hate them to call this kid up and play him 2 times a week. 

ME needs to make some moves to open playing time for this guy. 

• Upvote 1