Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

If this is what Mike Elias says to Jake Rill on July 13th, it may be he is playing out his Ramon Urias asset all the way through July 30th.    What else would "the right moment" given Coby Mayo's career accomplishments the last four years be?    I guess the right moment could be Mayo's agent agreeing on Elias' version of a fair price point for club options on free agent seasons.

BP's midseason Top 50 published this morning, integrating draftees.    Even with Condon and Bazzana in their top tier ahead of Basallo, they have Hollday 2, Mayo 5 and Basallo 13 overall.

Part of the Mayo comment is I think the first time I've read something about right field being too much of a stretch due to lack of foot speed, so I hear it as a big compliment to his bat they still peg him that high.    1B only profiles I am used to seeing get heavily dinged relative to guys who can defend.

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

BP's midseason Top 50 published this morning, integrating draftees.    Even with Condon and Bazzana in their top tier ahead of Basallo, they have Hollday 2, Mayo 5 and Basallo 13 overall.

Part of the Mayo comment is I think the first time I've read something about right field being too much of a stretch due to lack of foot speed, so I hear it as a big compliment to his bat they still peg him that high.    1B only profiles I am used to seeing get heavily dinged relative to guys who can defend.

Probably also suggests BA hasn't eliminated 3b from Mayo's future.

On 7/17/2024 at 7:54 AM, Just Regular said:

Who was the #1 prospect?

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Who was the #1 prospect?

They went Caminero.     It seems (driven in big part by Holliday) there's kind of a lull after Skenes graduating, as Caminero isn't really having what you would call a great year.

If Bazzana or even Mayo or Basallo go nuts the next 2 months...

Their editor wrote a companion piece about the affiliated Minors game de-evolving as the league has happily put more development load on Driveline, the SEC, etc.

During the pandemic we did a senior staff roundtable, discussing what we thought the knock-on effects would be. Jarrett pretty accurately predicted the increasing limits on amateur talent entering the game, the capped minor league rosters, the affiliate contraction. He suggested that baseball might just get a little bit worse, but in ways you probably really wouldn’t notice unless you were paying very close attention. Well, we pay very close attention. And yeah, it’s starting to not feel good.

Mayo has made two errors this weekend, one at 3B, one at 1B.  Today, with the bases loaded, he made a bad throw from 1B and all three runners scored.   Oops.  On Friday at 3B, Mayo flubbed a grounder and a runner scored from 3B.   That’s 14 errors on the year, 4 at 1B in only 13 starts there, 10 at 3B in 53 starts.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mayo has made two errors this weekend, one at 3B, one at 1B.  Today, with the bases loaded, he made a bad throw from 1B and all three runners scored.   Oops.  On Friday at 3B, Mayo flubbed a grounder and a runner scored from 3B.   That’s 14 errors on the year, 4 at 1B in only 13 starts there, 10 at 3B in 53 starts.  

I have a hard time wrapping my head around that high a prospect ranking for a pure bat RH hitter.  Just like I had trouble with Torkelson going 1-1.  The bat just has to be so good to make up for everything else.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really wish he had played a lot more 1B this year.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around that high a prospect ranking for a pure bat RH hitter.  Just like I had trouble with Torkelson going 1-1.  The bat just has to be so good to make up for everything else.

Mayo at least has an elite arm. Tork wasn’t good at anything in the field. 

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It’s useful at third or RF.  

Has he given any indications that he's capable of playing third or right at the ML level?

Or is he Torkelson with a better arm?

Because Torkelson with a better arm is Torkelson.

(Obviously I'm not comparing bats right now)