Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He couldn’t get much going in the first 2 innings but he turned it on after that. I have noticed in a lot of his starts that he doesn’t miss bats or get many Ks early but he really starts to rack those up as it gets deeper into his outing.

I feel like he is making a conscious effort this year manage his pitch count early by hunting for contact early in the game. He's alluded to such in interviews.  Later when he knows he only has 1-2 innings he goes back to try and rack up Ks.

1 minute ago, Mendoza Line said:

I feel like he is making a conscious effort this year manage his pitch count early by hunting for contact early in the game. He's alluded to such in interviews.  Later when he knows he only has 1-2 innings he goes back to try and rack up Ks.

That's what pitchers say when they aren't missing bats. It doesn't keep your pitch count down if you turn an 0-2 count into a walk or extra base hit.

• Upvote 1

Last night it looked like he was just trying to get a feel of all his pitches the first few innings.  He couldn’t locate the breaking balls and either were balls out of his hand or center cut.  After the 3rd or 4th inning it looked like he gave up on them and went primarily fastball up in the zone and change up down.  I think he needs to do more of that early in games with establishing the fastball instead of trying to mix every pitch in the first time through.  

• 2 weeks later...

Grayson had a win and a quality start today but honestly I was a little disappointed with his outing.   He seems to have mental lapses that cost him.  I was particularly frustrated when he walked Varsho (.681 OPS) and Berger (.557) in the 6th after being staked to a 9-3 lead.  

Overall, he’s a good not great pitcher, but he still has the potential to be great.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Grayson had a win and a quality start today but honestly I was a little disappointed with his outing.   He seems to have mental lapses that cost him.  I was particularly frustrated when he walked Varsho (.681 OPS) and Berger (.557) in the 6th after being staked to a 9-3 lead.  

Overall, he’s a good not great pitcher, but he still has the potential to be great.  

Barger really beat him today. He cost himself today on a bad walk prior to the Barger double.

He gets into an overthrow tendency at times. Gets in love with trying to throw as hard as he can. He needs to mature more mentally and that is what will get him to the next level.

• Upvote 1

I loved the first few innings with pounding the fastball in the zone the first time through.  He needs to establish the fastball early in the game more which will keep his pitch count down.  The breaking balls are not swing and miss quality so he gets lots of fouls on those in games and that raises his pitch count early on.  

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

I loved the first few innings with pounding the fastball in the zone the first time through.  He needs to establish the fastball early in the game more which will keep his pitch count down.  The breaking balls are not swing and miss quality so he gets lots of fouls on those in games and that raises his pitch count early on.  

Agree with you on establishing the fastball early (although noteworthy that full game stats showed 50% fastball which was just slightly above 46% season average).  TBD if that was just outing vs blue jays (IIRC on the broadcast KB/Big Ben mentioned that Blue Jays did not rate highly vs heaters) or this will be new pattern for GRod.  I also think GRod did not have a feel early for the changeup, he was elevating/hanging quite a few it seemed.  Would love to see a start where GRod had the command of more than one of his pitches…IMO that is the unlock to ace status.

I think he stuck with the fastball-heavy approach a shade too long today. His fastball seems to be one of those pitches where it's effective until suddenly it's not. 

Otherwise, you won't see me complaining about 6 innings and 3 runs. Just keep rolling.