Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

8 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Yeah I feel pretty confident his career will settle somewhere in the middle of utility infielder and 600 homers. 

A lot of posters here seem to have perfect crystal balls that are never wrong. Pretty cool. You could  sell them for a lot of money to some of the owners.

3 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

A lot of posters here seem to have perfect crystal balls that are never wrong. Pretty cool. You could  sell them for a lot of money to some of the owners.

You want to buy one?

One opinion on the extent of his success - BP refreshed its dynasty rankings recently, which mesh quality and years of control for gamers in somewhat the same way as we care about here.

The three Top 100 MLB-wide players who were 100+ spot climbers in the first third of 2024 were Westburg, Jared Jones and Mason Miller.

Royce Lewis, Bryson Stott and Oneil Cruz are the other infielders near him.

There has been talk of DFA-ing Urias around here lately.  Who else plays 3B on the team?  Do they move Hendetson to third and put Mateo at SS if Westburg is injured or needs a day off?  That seems highly unlikely to me.   There is no other option on the roster to play 3B.  You have to promote a 3B or claim one off waivers if you let Urias go.

2 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

There has been talk of DFA-ing Urias around here lately.  Who else plays 3B on the team?  Do they move Hendetson to third and put Mateo at SS if Westburg is injured or needs a day off?  

Yes

17 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

There has been talk of DFA-ing Urias around here lately.  Who else plays 3B on the team?  Do they move Hendetson to third and put Mateo at SS if Westburg is injured or needs a day off?  That seems highly unlikely to me.   There is no other option on the roster to play 3B.  You have to promote a 3B or claim one off waivers if you let Urias go.

Yes or I think Westburg could handle short in a pinch and you bring up Mayo or Norby. Nobody thought Mookie Betts could play short before this year. 

Why does Westburg move to 2B for Urias to play 3B?

Westburg is establishing himself as an everyday player at 3B. Urias is a part time player who can play 2B and actually played a better 2B than 3B according to some analytics last season.

Doesn't make sense.

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why does Westburg move to 2B for Urias to play 3B?

Westburg is establishing himself as an everyday player at 3B. Urias is a part time player who can play 2B and actually played a better 2B than 3B according to some analytics last season.

Doesn't make sense.

The team obviously feels Urias plays third better than second and that Westburg is equal in either.  

I mean, Urias won a GG at third!!  🤣

On 5/28/2024 at 3:01 PM, Yossarian said:

Yes, the whole point of DFA'ing Urias is to make room for Mayo or Norby. Between Mateo, Gunnar, and Westburg you would be able to cover 3B/SS with an extra guy on the bench. If there is an injury Gunnar can slide over for a game or two. We've also got Holliday, Maton, and Vavra in AAA. Plenty of depth to cover infield. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

The team obviously feels Urias plays third better than second and that Westburg is equal in either.  

I mean, Urias won a GG at third!!  🤣

You laugh, but the advanced stats show that Urias fully deserved that GG.   He hasn’t played as well defensively in 2023-24, though.  

Urias had another hit yesterday and has a 1.007 OPS over his last 10 games.  He had a terrible April but has hit well since then, though only seeing occasional action.  

• Upvote 1

Have 9 of Westburg's 10 HR's been opposite way? I thought I saw during the game yesterday that he was one of the leaders in baseball with 8 opposite shots (before his HR). Thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me at all, though 90% of your HRs being opposite shots is pretty wild, I thought more than one had been pulled. 

2 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Have 9 of Westburg's 10 HR's been opposite way? I thought I saw during the game yesterday that he was one of the leaders in baseball with 8 opposite shots (before his HR). Thinking about it, it wouldn't surprise me at all, though 90% of your HRs being opposite shots is pretty wild, I thought more than one had been pulled. 

I thought they said on the broadcast that 5 of his 10 had gone the other way. I could be mistaken though. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I thought they said on the broadcast that 5 of his 10 had gone the other way. I could be mistaken though. 

It was a graphic of leaders in the MLB for opposite field HRs, I think during a Mountcastle AB, and Westburg was up there with 8. Could've sworn 8 was the number but I'm sure there's a way to find this out? 

9 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

It was a graphic of leaders in the MLB for opposite field HRs, I think during a Mountcastle AB, and Westburg was up there with 8. Could've sworn 8 was the number but I'm sure there's a way to find this out? 

There probably is but I’m too lazy. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Even though I said I was too lazy, I can now hear @Tony-OH going “MOOSE, STATCAST!!!!!!”

You can see his spray chart here:  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jordan-westburg-676059?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Not a lot of homers to the left side, certainly nothing down the LF line. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1