Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

Westburg to Hyde before the final AB.  “Do you want me to try for a hit or go the other way to move the runner over”

Hyde:  “Mullins and Mateo are coming up next.  Can you do both”?

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

He reminds me a lot of JJ Hardy...but hes better

He’s a much better athlete, much more foot speed, much more of a threat on the base paths. Much better hitter, uses all fields. Hardy was a better defender and hit for more power, but almost an exclusive pull hitter. Westburg has a much better overall approach at the plate.

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

JJ has been my loose comp for JW for a couple years now. He’s not going to play SS in MLB (could, in a pinch) but his game is just so steady like JJ’s was. 

33 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Sacrilege!

1st and 3rd and one out, I can't think of anyone who I would rather have a ground ball hit to them than Hardy. Except maybe Belanger. 

Westburg's closest comparison is Cal Ripken.  Not saying he'll have the overall body of work as Cal or insane 8-11 WAR peak seasons, but he is very similar of a player.  Westburg will have several seasons better than Cal's down years.  Consistent, fundamental, clutch.

40 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We are very fortunate to have him. He does everything well. Obviously everyone talks about extending Gunnar and rightly so… but I wouldn’t sneeze at a Westburg extension either.

He'd definitely be cheaper. He reminds me a bit of Zobrist, the guy can just do everything. Solid as a rock.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, banks703 said:

JJ has been my loose comp for JW for a couple years now. He’s not going to play SS in MLB (could, in a pinch) but his game is just so steady like JJ’s was. 

He's a much faster, stronger and bigger guy than J.J. Hardy. Hits the ball much harder. If he's not a Boras guy, I'd start the extension conversation with this guy. I thought he was just going to be a decent utility guy and maybe a lower end regular in time but he's much more than that.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

He’s a much better athlete, much more foot speed, much more of a threat on the base paths. Much better hitter, uses all fields. Hardy was a better defender and hit for more power, but almost an exclusive pull hitter. Westburg has a much better overall approach at the plate.

I mentioned it in the game thread that Westburg reminds my of Ryne Sandberg. Both big 2B that can hit for power and have speed. Sandberg is obviously better being a hall of fame player, but Westburg has been very impressive this season.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Hardy is and was a fantastic athlete.  I don’t think I’d say Westburg is better.  But he’s a better hitter, and faster.  

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

He can play anywhere too. I wouldn't hesitate to put him in the outfield in an emergency.

This has been one of his biggest assets.  And when you think back to when he was at AAA, all we heard about was how his arm wasn't strong enough for 3B and his range wasn't good enough for either 2B or SS.  He's a plus defender now at both spots and there is no danger in him being relegated to 1B/DH/LF/RF in a move that would reduce the offensive advantage he brings.

Thinking back to all the Westburg concerns makes me wonder if Norby might be able to play passable defense at either 2B or 3B where his bat would provide significant value.