Craig Kimbrel 2024

Just thought it was a little strange that he hadn't been in a game since March 20th. Thought they would have let him pitch an inning against the Angels. . I guess simulated and side sessions. As someone said he will probably be in the game tonight. Especially since the other two against the Royals look shaky to get played.  I don't think the Orioles want to give him two weeks off between games.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Just thought it was a little strange that he hadn't been in a game since March 20th. Thought they would have let him pitch an inning against the Angels. . I guess simulated and side sessions. As someone said he will probably be in the game tonight. Especially since the other two against the Royals look shaky to get played.  I don't think the Orioles want to give him two weeks off between games.

If you look at the relief pitcher usage for the last 4 or 5 games in spring training, none of the primary relievers pitched at all.   They either piggy backed starters or used guys out of the pen who weren't going to make the team almost exclusively, starting around March 21.   I thought it was kind of odd.   I expect they were getting all the key relievers regular work in that last week between March 21 and the start of the season.

• Like 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Craig Kimbrel 2024

This is not an overreaction to his tough blown save last night (Hays absolutely should have called Gunnar off on that pop up), but I did not see closer stuff from Kimbrel last night.

image.thumb.png.a38a16ac82781ed1adf3678cb59a6416.png

His fastball is down 2.7 MPH from last year when it was the lowest average velocity of his career up until then. He got zero whiffs on his 92.2 to 93.8 MPH fastball and batters were able to foul it off even when he was able to hit his spots. 

The lack of command of his knucklecurve could have been the rust of not pitching since Mar 20th in a game, but he only threw one for a strike and got one whiff on a chase by Bobby Witt on the K.

Now the only good news is that I looked over his career and he traditionally throws slower in Mar/Apr and then ramps up by May, but the bad news is as far as I can see, that's the slowest average velocity that he's ever thrown in a big league game. 

Now let's add in the fact that he couldn't hold a runner to save his life last night allowing that bloop single to turn into a triple. As was noted in the game thread, neither could 6-foot-8 Bautista, but Bautista of course have an otherworldly strike out rate and he actually got better at holding runners through the year last year.

Now maybe Kimbrel will improve, but let's be honest here, there is no way anyone is going to feel secure with him coming in and pitching in one run games for the save right now.

• Upvote 2

Zero concern right now. I’m sure he will be who we think he is. A slightly above average closer who will have some ups and downs.

Was unlucky last night in terms of results.

I noticed the velo down as well. I’m just going to chalk it up to rust at the moment and he may have been a little nervous.(first outing with new team)

I thought Hyde should have gotten him in one of the first 3 games, especially the ninth on OD. Big lead, could ease into it, etc…

I can’t break it down like Tony just did, but I was pretty satisfied with Kimbrel’s outing other than his inattention to the baserunner.  Two strikeouts, a fly out with a .000 xBA and a 70 mph bloop that probably should have been caught.  Not bad, especially considering his last action was a spring training game 12 days before.  The fastball was a bit slow, but he threw harder in spring training so I’m not that concerned.   

The baserunner thing did bother me, and could be an issue all year.  Runners went 12-0 against him in 2023.