Craig Kimbrel 2024

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Zero concern right now. I’m sure he will be who we think he is. A slightly above average closer who will have some ups and downs.

Was unlucky last night in terms of results.

I noticed the velo down as well. I’m just going to chalk it up to rust at the moment and he may have been a little nervous.(first outing with new team)

I thought Hyde should have gotten him in one of the first 3 games, especially the ninth on OD. Big lead, could ease into it, etc…

The O's are his seventh team, why would he be nervous?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's are his seventh team, why would he be nervous?

8th actually.  Wow.  I had no idea he had moved around so much.   Future Immaculate Grid legend.

To say I wasn’t impressed is an understatement.  First K he fooled the guy who was looking slider.  Bad hitting approach.  I was not expecting gas, but was caught off guard by 92-94.  I will say, it did look like he was hitting spots for the most part.  It wasnt an encouraging outing But I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and am not gonna write him off after one game.  

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t break it down like Tony just did, but I was pretty satisfied with Kimbrel’s outing other than his inattention to the baserunner.  Two strikeouts, a fly out with a .000 xBA and a 70 mph bloop that probably should have been caught.  Not bad, especially considering his last action was a spring training game 12 days before.  The fastball was a bit slow, but he threw harder in spring training so I’m not that concerned.   

The baserunner thing did bother me, and could be an issue all year.  Runners went 12-0 against him in 2023.   

If Adley’s throw to 2nd was on the right side of the bag it would have been very close.  He made a great throw to 3rd.  A better tag by Urias and they may have had him.  Just saying, the runner didn’t swipe them standing up or anything.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

If Adley’s throw to 2nd was on the right side of the bag it would have been very close.  He made a great throw to 3rd.  A better tag by Urias and they may have had him.  Just saying, the runner didn’t swipe them standing up or anything.

?  Unless I’m misremembering, Adley didn’t even throw to 2B because the runner had too big a jump.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

?  Unless I’m misremembering, Adley didn’t even throw to 2B because the runner had too big a jump.  

You’re correct. He must have been thinking of a different play. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My bad.  Must have been thinking of a Witt SB earlier in the game.

I think it's a little silly to be concerned about a blown 1-run save in today's game. You need a fast baserunner with less than 2 outs and you're almost a lock to tie it up. The rules have made it harder to hold runners and easier to steal bases, so manufacturing that 1 run isn't as difficult as it used to be. I think the disengagement stuff should be suspended in a save situation, personally, but MLB wanted more drama, and now they have it. I think this is a big reason why Mateo would have to go hitless for 2 months to get kicked off the team. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Tony’s info is worth watching but no concern is needed right now.

We all know it’s a big drop off from Bautista, which was always an overall concern to go along with other pen issues.

Being nearly 3 ticks down on your fastball is concerning no matter who it is. Kimbrel can still be effective with reduced velo given the VAA from his release point and his very good curve, but that’s a big drop. Being down ~1 mph early in the season isn’t too alarming but more than 2 mph is when the alarm bells start going off for me. It means either there’s some underlying injury or that velo is very unlikely to come back all the way. I know he was working through some lower body issue earlier in Spring Training. Hopefully he looks more like vintage Kimbrel soon.

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

If I remember correctly Kimbrel is a build up guy. He usually takes a month or two to get his arm in full shape. I believe we will see the 94-96 by end of May.

So he's a build up guy that fades late in the season?

Cool.

While I wish he was throwing harder, it's clear his fastball is still tough on hitters. No one really squared one up despite the lack of whiffs. I really hope he throws that change up, but I feel like he's hesitant to bust it out in games. 

In general, it seems like velo is down across the board, almost. Tate and Webb are down a couple ticks, Kremer was really only hitting 94 and at times last year he hit 97. Cano was topping out at 95 when you hope to see 96-97. Hopefully just guys easing in early in the season. 

Edited by interloper