Craig Kimbrel 2024

6 hours ago, G54377 said:

It's still weird Kimbrel is on our team. He was on ATL forever and then Boston, just hasn't gotten use to this yet.

I was busy with first one thing then another so missed todays game for the most part.  Does anyone know why Baumann was pitching rather than Kimbrel ,  very late in the game?    

Just now, Oriole1940 said:

I was busy with first one thing then another so missed todays game for the most part.  Does anyone know why Baumann was pitching rather than Kimbrel ,  very late in the game?    

He had already pitched.

I already felt that way, but having seen a few outings it is more confidence this Elias pick is going to be fine for the job Elias wants him to do in the usual Lyles-Gibson kind of ways.     If we get to October, he'll still be in the mix, but Kimbrel's been to a bunch of those dances and I don't think there will be major problems if other relievers leapfrog him by then.

I am sorry we didn't also pay for some Phil Maton, Ryne Stanek type people this winter.

26 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Still haven't figured it out.  Not sure why he is on the team other than he is out of options.  Not really a ringing endorsement on using a guy in the highest leverage situation there is.

3 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

Then could we say, at least second guessers, that Hyde made some managerial mistakes?

It’s pretty typical to use your closer in the bottom of the 9th in a tie game, as Hyde did.  

Meanwhile, another good outing for Kimbrel.  In 3 innings of work, he’s allowed only one baserunner while striking out 5.   The only baserunner was that bloop that fell between Gunnar and Hays.   

Kimbrel continues to throw 2.6 MPH slower than last year, but his vertical movement is the best of his career so far. His curveball has been unhittable this year and has the most horizontal movement of his career. His command has been outstanding on both of his offerings.

Maybe Kimbrel has found that he has more command at this velocity or maybe he just needs warmer weather to "warm up" but for now, the results have pretty amazing since the blown save.

• Upvote 1