Craig Kimbrel 2024

10 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The larger problem is this bullpen is a dumpster fire .. and it all starts with not having any real shutdown arms.. nobody throws 99-100 .

I said this in the other thread but the O's are probably going to need to think outside the box here and have someone else pitch the 9th in a save situation every 1 out of 3 times to give Kimbrel a break.  He is never going to last a full year pitching this much.

DL Hall would have been a great guy for that but obviously that is a no go.   Cano I really don't trust in a 9th inning situation.

This was a reason I was surprised they got rid of Fuji after the season.  At least he threw near 100.  It seemed a shame that they gave up on him. 

What about a Suarez?  I have a feeling he could do very well in that role.

11 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I said this in the other thread but the O's are probably going to need to think outside the box here and have someone else pitch the 9th in a save situation every 1 out of 3 times to give Kimbrel a break.  He is never going to last a full year pitching this much.

DL Hall would have been a great guy for that but obviously that is a no go.   Cano I really don't trust in a 9th inning situation.

This was a reason I was surprised they got rid of Fuji after the season.  At least he threw near 100.  It seemed a shame that they gave up on him. 

Fuji has opened the season in Syracuse with 11 walks, 3 wild pitches and 8 earned in 5.1 innings. He has also hit two batters. I do not know if that one is salvageable.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Would you have preferred that we kept DL Hall and been without Burnes? That would probably be a great way to have way less save opportunities...lol

But yes I agree Kimbrel cannot hold up under this kind of load and unfortunately our middle relievers (in particular) aren't good enough to keep most games from tightening up and then forcing us to rely upon the closer role.

Given our options for the rotation and the lack of options that we have in the pen, we really aren't going to have much of a choice right now but to try Suarez in a late inning/high leverage role. 

20 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Oh one more thing that I forgot, Fuji is terrible 100 or not. He is not a Major League pitcher. Definitely not one on a good team. 

11 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Fuji has opened the season in Syracuse with 11 walks, 3 wild pitches and 8 earned in 5.1 innings. He has also hit two batters. I do not know if that one is salvageable.

Yeah I saw that.   Fuji is just too wild.   Shame because he has the arm.

I do think Suarez in short stints could be an option.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Would you have preferred that we kept DL Hall and been without Burnes? That would probably be a great way to have way less save opportunities...lol

But yes I agree Kimbrel cannot hold up under this kind of load and unfortunately our middle relievers (in particular) aren't good enough to keep most games from tightening up and then forcing us to rely upon the closer role.

Given our options for the rotation and the lack of options that we have in the pen, we really aren't going to have much of a choice right now but to try Suarez in a late inning/high leverage role. 

No no.  I am totally fine with the trade.  I just meant that he would have been a good guy to have for this kind of situation.  But everything being equal  I would rather have Burnes and try to figure something else out. 

I really think Saurez has the stuff to work for this.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

No no.  I am totally fine with the trade.  I just meant that he would have been a good guy to have for this kind if situation.  But everything being equal  I would rather have Burnes and try to figure something else out. 

I really think Saurez has the stuff to work for this.

I hope so. 

He gets a lot of swing and misses at 95/96 if he could maybe be at 98 as a one inning reliever I think he may do just fine.

34 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You don't trust Cano but you do trust Fuji???

34 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

They need to give up prospects for an actual closer . .. we gave up Eduardo Rodriguez for Andrew Miller.. something similar 

Just now, tntoriole said:

They need to give up prospects for an actual closer . .. we gave up Eduardo Rodriguez for Andrew Miller.. something similar 

Too early to trade right now. We are going to have to make it work with in house options until late June/July.

If Wells could get healthy he could be the answer. His changeup makes him matchup proof and he throws strikes. He will give up some crushing HR sometimes but I would generally trust him as a backup closer when Kimbrel isn't available. 

Has there been any word on if Kimbrel is actually injured or was it just a dead arm sort of thing?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

If Wells could get healthy he could be the answer. His changeup makes him matchup proof and he throws strikes. He will give up some crushing HR sometimes but I would generally trust him as a backup closer when Kimbrel isn't available. 

Has there been any word on if Kimbrel is actually injured or was it just a dead arm sort of thing?

If he has a dead arm in April that's a problem.