Cedric Mullins 2024

DirtyBird

Mullins has always been like this. VERY streaky.   Remember when he first got called up how hot he was and then a few  months later he had to be sent all the way down to AA ball because of how bad he was?

And he has gone through other streaks like this as well.   I actually think this could work to the Os benefit as they are winning without him playing well.   Like a beaten down stock with an RSI near 15, he is bound to rebound at sometime here in the near to midterm future. 

Mullins has a .432 OPS since April 16, covering 74 PA.   His K rate isn’t terrible in that span (24.3%) but he seems to be hitting a ton of grounders to 2B and pop-ups.  Hopefully he’ll snap out of it soon.   

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mullins has a .432 OPS since April 16, covering 74 PA.   His K rate isn’t terrible in that span (24.3%) but he seems to be hitting a ton of grounders to 2B and pop-ups.  Hopefully he’ll snap out of it soon.   

The odd thing about him is he has a pretty compact and easy to replicate swing.  He shouldn't have these massive up and down streaks that he does.   But he has had them since he was a rookie so we can't say its just an age thing.

Hard to explain how he can be so good and then so bad with not much in between. 

Unless it is all in his head.  But even then he seems like a pretty calm, cool, and collected guy.

Maybe he doesn't feel confident batting in the 8 or 9 slot.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Think we can get a good deal on that Mullins extension right about now?

If I wasn’t sure before, I am now. As much as I appreciated our OF on the other side of 2021, I don’t see the O’s extending Mullins, Hays, or Santander.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Think we can get a good deal on that Mullins extension right about now?

Never wanted one and he’ll probably end up with a .700+ OPS but he looks lost right now.

18 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I wonder if two straight days of Cowser in CF is prepping for less of Mullins? 

It’s not complicated.  If Mullins starts hitting well, he’ll play almost every day.  If he continues to hit poorly, he won’t. 

Still love Mullins' glove.  The dude can cover so much ground in center field.  He reminds me of Paul Blair with his ability to look graceful while expending maximum effort.  Having a strong defense up the middle is never something to take for granted.

On 5/11/2024 at 3:38 PM, OnlyOneOriole said:

The odd thing about him is he has a pretty compact and easy to replicate swing.  He shouldn't have these massive up and down streaks that he does.   But he has had them since he was a rookie so we can't say its just an age thing.

Hard to explain how he can be so good and then so bad with not much in between. 

Unless it is all in his head.  But even then he seems like a pretty calm, cool, and collected guy.

Maybe he doesn't feel confident batting in the 8 or 9 slot.

I've wondered the same thing you would think Mullins could avoid really bad slumps because of his short compact swing. Hitting a baseball is probably the hardest thing to do in sports and even if your fundamentals are good you can mentally cause yourseld to fail at hitting the ball.

On 5/12/2024 at 1:08 PM, Aristotelian said:

Cedric's offense is really becoming a problem. He really hasn't been good since July of last year. I would like to see him go opposite field once in a while.

Since July 1 (not including tonight), Mullins has 338 PA. His slash line is 200/247/371/618.  70 wRC+.