Colton Cowser 2024

Cowser has a wRC+ of 99 against LHP this year. That’s huge. With his defense, he only needs to be passable against LHP to not be relegated to being a strict platoon player. 

His K and BB rates are worse against LHP, as would be expected, but not so bad that they’re unplayable. And importantly he’s only hitting for slightly less power against LHP (.168 ISO vs. 228 against RHP). 

If Cowser is a legitimate CF defender (and he definitely has been this year) that can hold his own against LHP, that erases almost all of the knocks against him in his prospect scouting report. He still has a lot of whiff and struggles against offspeed, but his power has been so much better than was generally assessed as a prospect that cancels a lot of that out. 

9 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

OK, so if Cowser finishes top two, does that mean the O's get a late 1st draft pick or is it just if he wins ROY? If Cowser can finish strong he has a pretty good shot at winning.

You have to win ROY to get the draft pick. It’s going to be a good race. I still think Miller is going to win it if he comes back quickly and pitches on the same level the rest of the season, but if Cowser or any others end up 4+ WAR it’s pretty hard to give it to a RP.

Top 2 get a full year of service time (if they didn’t already, which Cowser does). 

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Cowser has a wRC+ of 99 against LHP this year. That’s huge. With his defense, he only needs to be passable against LHP to not be relegated to being a strict platoon player. 

His K and BB rates are worse against LHP, as would be expected, but not so bad that they’re unplayable. And importantly he’s only hitting for slightly less power against LHP (.168 ISO vs. 228 against RHP). 

If Cowser is a legitimate CF defender (and he definitely has been this year) that can hold his own against LHP, that erases almost all of the knocks against him in his prospect scouting report. He still has a lot of whiff and struggles against offspeed, but his power has been so much better than was generally assessed as a prospect that cancels a lot of that out. 

He looks the part. Mason Miller is entrenched in people's mind due to the media. Cowser needs to get read hot and finish with a great defensive rating to get past Miller IMO. With that said, doesn't the top 2 ROY finalists net a first rounder, or is that the one fewer year before hitting arbitration that I am thinking of?

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

You have to win ROY to get the draft pick. It’s going to be a good race. I still think Miller is going to win it if he comes back quickly and pitches on the same level the rest of the season, but if Cowser or any others end up 4+ WAR it’s pretty hard to give it to a RP.

Top 2 get a full year of service time (if they didn’t already, which Cowser does). 

IMG_5754.jpeg

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I think it is Luis Gil in the driver's seat.

Austin Wells has been running rings around Adley Rutschman a good month - a Yankee catcher batting cleanup leading them to a division win is also a strong profile.

Ceddanne Rafaela at the bottom of the Red Sox order getting a lot of counting stats if they are a surprise wildcard.     The Boston votes I believe will go to him over Wilyer Abreu no matter what fWAR says.

It is very nice to see Cowser leveling up in a hot race.     

A closer in Oakland swimming upstream against Bats and SP in the AL East.

11 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I also think some of these young guys need to be playing everyday.  Cowser is better against lefties than Pache.