Colton Cowser 2024

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cowser has looked very good defensively this year, so we might not be losing as much as we might have thought when he plays CF.

I keep coming back to this thought.  If he's adequate in CF, that gives us so many options.  It would be much easier to move on from most/all of the 28+ year old position players to bring up the four in Norfolk and eventually Basallo and others.

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Most teams looking to trade controlled pitching (are there any?) would be contenders looking for an established stud bat. Pretty rare to see prospect for prospect trades.

Luzardo would probably be the biggest trade deadline want for most teams if the Marlins keep this up.

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m told by someone with very good scouting chops that Bradfield has more range than either Mullins or Jones in their primes.   

As to Cowser, it’s an offense vs. defense tradeoff.   But Cowser has looked very good defensively this year, so we might not be losing as much as we might have thought when he plays CF.

I think he'd be okay, but we'd miss Mullins range and ability to lay out for balls. Seems like Cowser tries to play stuff in front of him. If he keeps hitting you have to play him, I do think there is a defensive drop off from him compared to Mullins or Hays, my opinion only.

46 minutes ago, deward said:

Trading Kjerstad is what we're talking about, in this scenario. For Kjerstad, I would expect a top young guy, either already in the bigs or close to it. If that's not out there, then my plan would change to keeping Kjerstad to replace Santander. 

Understood.

36 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Most teams looking to trade controlled pitching (are there any?) would be contenders looking for an established stud bat. Pretty rare to see prospect for prospect trades.

Agreed, it wouldn't be the easiest trade to pull off. I'm just laying out the parameters where I'd consider extending Santander. If there's no dance partner for the trade I'd want, then Kjerstad is the O's starting RF in 2025. It works either way.

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m told by someone with very good scouting chops that Bradfield has more range than either Mullins or Jones in their primes.   

As to Cowser, it’s an offense vs. defense tradeoff.   But Cowser has looked very good defensively this year, so we might not be losing as much as we might have thought when he plays CF.

As far as Bradfield goes, I most certainly believe you! The kid has an 80 speed and defense scouting grade.

Cowser has look very good in LF. I understand that there could be an offensive upgrade. But there will be a serious defensive downgrade IMO. Cedric Mullins is one of the few elite defensive CFs in baseball. Not only will be downgrading defensively to Cowser bu then we will be downgrading in LF from Cowser to Kjerstad. IMO that trade off is not worth it especially in an OF as big as Camden from left to center now.

2 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

In the past we had very little talent. today we have too much. what a problem to have.

I feel bad for Hays because in any other time except for right now he would be a valuable player for the Orioles. Hays is now what McKenna was the last few seasons for this team.

I hope Hays can land on a new team where he will get the chance to play everyday.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

As far as Bradfield goes, I most certainly believe you! The kid has an 80 speed and defense scouting grade.

Cowser has look very good in LF. I understand that there could be an offensive upgrade. But there will be a serious defensive downgrade IMO. Cedric Mullins is one of the few elite defensive CFs in baseball. Not only will be downgrading defensively to Cowser bu then we will be downgrading in LF from Cowser to Kjerstad. IMO that trade off is not worth it especially in an OF as big as Camden from left to center now.

I doubt Kjerstad is ever allowed to play LF in Camden in anything other than a one-game emergency. They barely let him put a glove on when he was up last year. 

23 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Especially with our park we need a plus guy in LF along with a true CF. Sounds like Cowser can at least be the LF guy.

5 minutes ago, deward said:

I doubt Kjerstad is ever allowed to play LF in Camden in anything other than a one-game emergency. They barely let him put a glove on when he was up last year. 

I doubt doubt you, but if that's the case why would we be itching to play Cowser in CF? So that Hays can replace Mullins in the lineup? That makes ZERO sense on multiple levels.