Colton Cowser 2024

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’d like to know if it takes account of where the fielder is positioned when the ball is hit. 

Judging from some of the clips Malike has shown, I'd say fielders positioning for some reason isnt factored in.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

I feel like Chevy Chase should be SG

The problem is, there’s no one mean one there.  I was going to put a photo of the Three Stooges Up.  SG is an easy one as Moe.  It just didn’t seem fair to Malike and Frobby to make one of them Curly and the other one Larry.

image.jpeg.2c2047b906b35960d7ef530f7f78200f.jpeg

Edited by RZNJ
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’d like to know if it takes account of where the fielder is positioned when the ball is hit. 

Are we talking about Ststcast catch probability, or whatever this X account is producing?  The former absolutely takes initial position into account.  Their calculation is primarily distance from the fielder’s initial position and hang time, with some adjustment for direction of the ball in relation to the fielder and whether the play is near the wall.  How good the adjustments are, I don’t know.  

11 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

I'm trying to find it on the Baseball Savant site and have been unsuccessful. I think I found the right page, but it doesn't look like tonight's game is in included yet.

It's updated now.   Last night's catch was ranked 60% catch probability, 50 feet in 3.6 seconds.   Sounds about right.

• Upvote 1

Cowser’s defense and baserunning have been outstanding and last night was another example how both those are contributing to winning baseball.  Baseball savant currently showing Cowser as 89th percentile for baserunning value and 99th percentile for fielding run value.  I must admit that my expectations were colored by scouting rep that was he was solid/average all around ball player, but Cowser’s D and baserunning are flashing elite levels.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's updated now.   Last night's catch was ranked 60% catch probability, 50 feet in 3.6 seconds.   Sounds about right.

Can you share where you found it? Catch probability has come up a few times and I would like to know where to find it.

10 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Can you share where you found it? Catch probability has come up a few times and I would like to know where to find it.

It’s a complete pain in the butt.  On Baseball Savant (desktop version), go to the player’s page.  Then on the shaded banner about 1/4 down the page, click on “fielding.”  Then scroll to the graph near the bottom that shows the shaded “green rainbow” with circles representing the various balls hit to the fielder, the shades correlate to degree of difficulty of the plays.  From there, you have to take educated guesses as to which circles might represent the play you’re looking for.   If your cursor is hovering over the circle, it will show the catch probability, opportunity time and distance needed for the play.  If you click on the circle, a video replay will come up and it will confirm whether it’s the play you were looking for.  But it’s not easy to find the right play.  They ought to make it much easier, and could.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

This is a great article.  Looks can be deceiving when it comes to this statistic - a sensational looking play doesn't necessarily make it a low percentage catch.  Also, I found it really interesting that a player's initial positioning could be detriment to "earning" a 5 star catch.  Good positioning cuts down on the distance to the ball and the time required to get there.

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s a complete pain in the butt.  On Baseball Savant (desktop version), go to the player’s page.  Then on the shaded banner about 1/4 down the page, click on “fielding.”  Then scroll to the graph near the bottom that shows the shaded “green rainbow” with circles representing the various balls hit to the fielder, the shades correlate to degree of difficulty of the plays.  From there, you have to take educated guesses as to which circles might represent the play you’re looking for.   If your cursor is hovering over the circle, it will show the catch probability, opportunity time and distance needed for the play.  If you click on the circle, a video replay will come up and it will confirm whether it’s the play you were looking for.  But it’s not easy to find the right play.  They ought to make it much easier, and could.  

Ok, this is where I was looking. I'll look again. I was using the distance from the tweet to try to find this catch. Thanks Frobby.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The problem is, there’s no one mean one there.  I was going to put a photo of the Three Stooges Up.  SG is an easy one as Moe.  It just didn’t seem fair to Malike and Frobby to make one of them Curly and the other one Larry.

image.jpeg.2c2047b906b35960d7ef530f7f78200f.jpeg

Sorry if I misunderstand but are you saying that Mr Chase isn't mean?  He has quite the poor reputation.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry if I misunderstand but are you saying that Mr Chase isn't mean?  He has quite the poor reputation.

Go sniff somewhere else.  I’m busy now.

54 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

This is a great article.  Looks can be deceiving when it comes to this statistic - a sensational looking play doesn't necessarily make it a low percentage catch.  Also, I found it really interesting that a player's initial positioning could be detriment to "earning" a 5 star catch.  Good positioning cuts down on the distance to the ball and the time required to get there.

Statcast has refined its methodology twice since publishing that article, once to account for the direction of the ball, and then to account for plays near the wall.  Not sure if they’ve got it completely right, but they’re trying.  

https://www.mlb.com/news/catch-probability-updated-to-include-direction-c232532408

https://www.mlb.com/news/catch-probability-updated-to-account-for-walls-c269814542

• Thanks 1