Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

I like Buck and am grateful for what he did here.  But he basically admitted that he pushed to make one final run with that core and that it was a mistake.

That was the roster that he chose to take into battle, then he deserved to be massacred.

I lost count, but I think they had four guys on the roster who were useless except at DH or first base. Trumbo “back up and play it on a hop,” and a collection of calamities.

5 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

A team is supposed to anticipate problems, that’s why you don’t want to have five good starters you want to have six or eight good starters.
Of course, even when you anticipate problems there are going to be problems you can’t deal with, and the problem with that situation is that that’s where we are now and so far the problems have not been dealt with in any meaningful way. We’ve tried out an extra four or five relievers, and none of them has had staying power, nor would any of them have been expected to based on their track record.

I have no problem with drafting position players and trading for pitching, but that comes with the knowledge that you’re going to pay a premium for your pitching acquisitions.

cake is not to be simultaneously had and eaten.

I can’t quite tell what you are saying here.  I think Elias came into the spring with very good starter depth, even considering that he knew that Means would start the season a bit late and that Bradish had a sprained UCL that might or might not be fixed with PRP and rehab.   He still had Burnes, Rodriguez, Krener, Wells, Irvin, Suarez, Povich and McDermott.  That’s much more depth than most teams have.  But a ton of things have gone wrong and eaten away at our depth.   We need reinforcements now but I certainly can’t fault the collection of starters we began the year with.  

As to the pen, I did go into the season wishing we had one more quality back end guy.  Right now, we’re really short two with Coulombe out.   

I’ll close by saying I think our existing staff is better than it’s performed in July.  We do need reinforcements but the guys already here can and will do better, IMO.

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t quite tell what you are saying here.  I think Elias came into the spring with very good starter depth, even considering that he knew that Means would start the season a bit late and that Bradish had a sprained UCL that might or might not be fixed with PRP and rehab.   He still had Burnes, Rodriguez, Krener, Wells, Irvin, Suarez, Povich and McDermott.  That’s much more depth than most teams have.  But a ton of things have gone wrong and eaten away at our depth.   We need reinforcements now but I certainly can’t fault the collection of starters we began the year with.  

As to the pen, I did go into the season wishing we had one more quality back end guy.  Right now, we’re really short two with Coulombe out.   

I’ll close by saying I think our existing staff is better than it’s performed in July.  We do need reinforcements but the guys already here can and will do better, IMO.

What I’m saying is that the reinforcements that Mike started the year with were inadequate in quantity and quality. Burnes was only a lateral move, and Mike knew about Bradish and Means, at least, in time to do something. His attempts to redress the issue have been pretty dreadful. Why hire Thiago Vieira, for instance?

And it was unwise to expect to get a full seasons quality from Suarez and Irvin. Povich and McDermott are not assets right now 

23 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

What I’m saying is that the reinforcements that Mike started the year with were inadequate in quantity and quality. Burnes was only a lateral move, and Mike knew about Bradish and Means, at least, in time to do something. His attempts to redress the issue have been pretty dreadful. Why hire Thiago Vieira, for instance?

And it was unwise to expect to get a full seasons quality from Suarez and Irvin. Povich and McDermott are not assets right now 

Well, I disagree. Please show me the teams that have better options 6-10 for their rotation.  

As to Vieira, I know you jumped all over the guy because he was bad in his one appearance in Baltimore in a game we won 11-3.  I wonder if you’re aware that he then landed in Arizona, where he has a 2.87 ERA in 11 games.  Not so obviously incompetent!  Bottom line, every single team shuttles guys through the last bullpen spot or two. You seem to have this fantasy that contending teams have 20-25 good major league pitchers and can just replace injured guys with other guys who are equally good, but it ain’t so.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he rode Jim Johnson (2012-2013) like a rented mule.

He didn’t pitch him near as hard or for as many multi-inning outs.  He also didn’t get guys up 3 times without pitching them. Generally, if they got up, he pitched them. His bullpen management was better. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I disagree. Please show me the teams that have better options 6-10 for their rotation.  

As to Vieira, I know you jumped all over the guy because he was bad in his one appearance in Baltimore in a game we won 11-3.  I wonder if you’re aware that he then landed in Arizona, where he has a 2.87 ERA in 11 games.  Not so obviously incompetent!  Bottom line, every single team shuttles guys through the last bullpen spot or two. You seem to have this fantasy that contending teams have 20-25 good major league pitchers and can just replace injured guys with other guys who are equally good, but it ain’t so.  

Well as Malike tells me all the time you are ruining my ignore button but now I can’t unsee this.  Hindsight is always 20/20 with these guys that have some kind of agenda.  This guys is to prove that Elias or “Mike” as he always addresses him as is just not that good of a GM.   To have anticipated Means would have to have a second Tommy John surgery would make Elias clairvoyant.  Much less Wells, who also who was a very successful pitcher a year ago.  To say acquiring Corbin Burnes is just a lateral move is just wrong.  Burnes would have been an upgrade to ANY pitching staff in baseball and we gave up a top talented prospect to do it.  A move they should have made and I don’t doubt he will do it again.   Bottom line is to date the team and pitching staff Elias has put together had the Orioles with the best record in the AL through 102 games even with three top end starters needing TJ surgery.  How many other pitching staff’s could endure that with the results we have had so far?  Maybe the very rich Dodgers.  It is also not fair to judge Elias on what he can accomplish with John Angelos as an owner versus what he may be able to accomplish with this new ownership.  I guarantee he has more assets at his disposal today then he did any time before opening day.  Lets let the season and the trade deadline play out.  

7 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

You are speaking in past tense as if the season is over. We had enough depth to claim first place in July. It does not look like enough to win a championship as it is but we still have the trade deadline to fill holes. 

We don't know how much Elias was given to sign free agents and more importantly it is really hard to stockpile infinite veteran guys when you have to worry about the 26 and 40 man rosters. 

We actually still have a backlog of minor league depth at most positions, so you are really talking about pitching. Even so, McDermott and Povich are legit prospects who should be getting looks. 

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I understand that and I don’t disagree. My point is that Mike knew the problems he was facing as far back as last December and didn’t adequately address them. Even at the time of the Burnes trade, it was understood that the move only compensated for the loss of Bradish so was only a tread water move.

Im not saying he didn’t try, because I have no idea. But results are more important than effort.

And going back to his draft strategy, the downside of not drafting pitching is that you’ve got to trade for it, the price will be high, and Mike isn’t showing any willingness to pay that price.

@accinfo sometimes I say Mike, sometimes ME, sometimes Elias, as does everyone here. Nothing wrong with any of that. What would you prefer?

Mike knew in December that Means and Bradish had problems, and the severity.

Bradish was down by the time he traded for Burnes, so yes it was a lateral replacement, even though Burnes is a superior pitcher. The result was a better pitcher, but only one pitcher. I don’t know recall the Wells injury was a surprise or not.

There have been some unexpected unpleasantries, but even with the surprises, the theme is that Mike didn’t deal with the depth problem despite pursuing a draft strategy that exacerbates the issue.

And there’s nothing snarky or hyperbolic about this take. Anticipating and addressing problems is the GM’s job. Sometimes problems are overwhelming, and this sure seems like one of those times, but so little has been done that a little frustration is entirely warranted.

@Frobbyand if Vieira went somewhere and found success, God bless him. He was beyond awful here, his stats were blue, and I was glad to see him at the exit door.

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

I understand that and I don’t disagree. My point is that Mike knew the problems he was facing as far back as last December and didn’t adequately address them. Even at the time of the Burnes trade, it was understood that the move only compensated for the loss of Bradish so was only a tread water move.

Im not saying he didn’t try, because I have no idea. But results are more important than effort.

And going back to his draft strategy, the downside of not drafting pitching is that you’ve got to trade for it, the price will be high, and Mike isn’t showing any willingness to pay that price.

He traded for Burnes pre-season. We have no idea what he will do at the trade deadline this year under new ownership but the Burnes move (and Kimbrel) is an indicator it won't be the same as last year.

I am guessing we would need a Skubal/Crochet level guy to trade any of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo/Kjerstad and his inclination will be to trade from Stowers/Norby/Beavers level guys. We can still get someone good for that: either a #3 with a year of control, or a rental #2. 

4 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

@accinfo sometimes I say Mike, sometimes ME, sometimes Elias, as does everyone here. Nothing wrong with any of that. What would you prefer?

Mike knew in December that Means and Bradish had problems, and the severity.

Bradish was down by the time he traded for Burnes, so yes it was a lateral replacement, even though Burnes is a superior pitcher. The result was a better pitcher, but only one pitcher. I don’t know recall the Wells injury was a surprise or not.

There have been some unexpected unpleasantries, but even with the surprises, the theme is that Mike didn’t deal with the depth problem despite pursuing a draft strategy that exacerbates the issue.

And there’s nothing snarky or hyperbolic about this take. Anticipating and addressing problems is the GM’s job. Sometimes problems are overwhelming, and this sure seems like one of those times, but so little has been done that a little frustration is entirely warranted.

@Frobbyand if Vieira went somewhere and found success, God bless him. He was beyond awful here, his stats were blue, and I was glad to see him at the exit door.

Elias knew Means and Bradish were possibly coming back sometime early in the first half.  

He started the year with Burnes, GRod, Kremer, Wells, and Irvin.  Presumably, Wells and Irvin would go to the bullpen and be replaced by Bradish and Means.   To acquire another proven starter at that point would have blocked Bradish or Means.

As badly as Suarez and Irvin are pitching now, they both went about a month of pitching great and propelling us to a great start.   They almost got us to the deadline.  Well, they did get us to the deadline and now we have a chance to address our weaknesses.

A perfect plan?  Maybe not but it’s certainly not the worst plan I’ve ever seen.

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He traded for Burnes pre-season. We have no idea what he will do at the trade deadline this year under new ownership but the Burnes move (and Kimbrel) is an indicator it won't be the same as last year.

I am guessing we would need a Skubal/Crochet level guy to trade any of Holliday/Mayo/Basallo/Kjerstad and his inclination will be to trade from Stowers/Norby/Beavers level guys. We can still get someone good for that: either a #3 with a year of control, or a rental #2. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias knew Means and Bradish were possibly coming back sometime early in the first half.  

He started the year with Burnes, GRod, Kremer, Wells, and Irvin.  Presumably, Wells and Irvin would go to the bullpen and be replaced by Bradish and Means.   To acquire another proven starter at that point would have blocked Bradish or Means.

As badly as Suarez and Irvin are pitching now, they both went about a month of pitching great and propelling us to a great start.   They almost got us to the deadline.  Well, they did get us to the deadline and now we have a chance to address our weaknesses.

A perfect plan?  Maybe not but it’s certainly not the worst plan I’ve ever seen.

@RZNJI was hoping for someone like Bassitt, but the Jays aren’t trading him. I also expected Kikuchi, who would be a positive addition, but not the solid #3 we need.

@Aristotelian I don’t disagree with your point. Getting more starters before the season was less important than getting reliable relievers, which are more plentiful, usually cheaper, and with which the GM(or Mike, Elias, or ME, pick one) has had good success. So try for both, because a good starter bumps Irvin to the pen, and a good reliever bumps Heasley or Baumann or whomever is the #7 at the time.