Brandon Hyde 2024

Just now, LGOrioles said:

Great call by Hyde to throw Kimbrel in the 8th. Hey, nothing is his fault though. No questioning sir Brandon.

He is a manager of the year candidate this year.  He will be the manager here as long as sigbot  is gm. 

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Tonight showed off part of Hyde's bullpen management that I don't like--he won't let his relievers throw more than one inning, even if their pitch count is low.   In a tie game where Hyde had already used two previous relievers, Gregory Soto only needed 10 pitches to get through the sixth--yet Hyde replaced him in the seventh, with another lefty.   Then when Perez struggled, Cano only needed 8 pitches to get out of the seventh--yet Hyde replaced him in the eighth, with Kimbrel.  Who promptly gave up two runs, one that followed a stolen base.   

This game was a war of attrition, and Hyde needed to be willing to let Soto and Cano get more outs.  Kimbrel might have had to come in eventually (in extra innings), but he should not be trusted to come into a tie game in the eighth inning if there are other options.  

Hyde really lost me tonight. Early exit by your starter, you had some reasonably rested guys. Why not let Akin go another full inning? Why the quick hook on Cano when Kimbrel is terrible and can’t be trusted late? Just completely unnecessary quick hooks. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mendoza Line said:

Glad folks are coming around on this.  This is an issue that has been brought up several times.  Unfortunately this is not a new thing, and aside from the head scratching use of Bowman the other day, I don't see it changing.

I have asked people to justify that kind of bullpen usage, and nobody can, but they are quick to castigate those who complain about it.
Kimbrel lost the game, but it was Hyde who gave him the chance.

• Like 1

We need to DFA Kimbrel. Otherwise, Hyde will keep throwing him out there in high leverage situations. Why he didn’t keep Cano in there is mind boggling, but he doesn’t appear to ever change that thinking. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

If Elias doesn't want Kimbrel used, he shouldn't be here. What is he, a Rule 5 pick we're trying to hide on the roster?

He pitched Akin, Smith, and Cano a combined 2.1 IP. That’s completely idiotic. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Hyde really lost me tonight. Early exit by your starter, you had some reasonably rested guys. Why not let Akin go another full inning? Why the quick hook on Cano when Kimbrel is terrible and can’t be trusted late? Just completely unnecessary quick hooks. 

How much is it Hyde or the Sigbot/analytics dictating the bullpen usage? If the Orioles replaced Hyde I don't think the bullpen usage would look much different. I'm not going to act like changing the manager will change how the bullpen is managed.

I place more blame on Elias the Orioles need to upgrade their bullpen talent if they want to get serious about building a team for the postseason.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

How much is it Hyde or the Sigbot/analytics dictating the bullpen usage? If the Orioles replaced Hyde I don't think the bullpen usage would look much different. I'm not going to act like changing the manager will change how the bullpen is managed.

I place more blame on Elias the Orioles need to upgrade their bullpen talent if they want to get serious about building a team for the postseason.

The postseason is not going to last long enough for us to worry about building a team

4 minutes ago, iiiput said:

We need to DFA Kimbrel. Otherwise, Hyde will keep throwing him out there in high leverage situations. Why he didn’t keep Cano in there is mind boggling, but he doesn’t appear to ever change that thinking. 

The biggest flag is the velocity drop.  He started the season 95-96 and was throwing 91 tonight.  But the most infuriating thing is the in ability to hold runners.  It is just beyond embarrassing when literally every team is turning a single or walk into a double. And a double into a triple.  I've never seen anything like it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was talking about next year. Coulombe and Webb if they return could help, but Elias should have done more last offseason and at the trade deadline.

Yes, not upgrading the pen in the offseason was the biggest mistake by Elias.  It was a clear and obvious need and now especially with the injuries, he's just throwing darts at the dart board trying to keep this thing together.  

• Upvote 1

Where were all our 18 coaches when our hitters were swinging at ball after ball the last couple of innings?  I feel like someone should have told our hitters don't swing at the ball unless it's over the middle of the plate.  I know that's bad baseball strategy or whatever, but I feel like pitchers around the league know you don't have to throw strikes to most of the Orioles.  Would the Orioles be better off with a lot less coaches?  Not really aimed at Hyde, but didn't feel like starting another thread.