Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

Saw someone on socials say that Cowser was shaking his arm a bunch and might have been hurting?

Hyde didn’t mention that in the postgame presser. 

I did see him bending his right arm earlier. I think he’s probably fine. 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm usually a Hyde defender...and I really don't care, I'm going to defend him in a little bit here.  But tonight was pretty awful, all around.  Going by the book, being a slave to matchups all the time...it's a bit much.  I get it, you've gotta see what you've got in Soto (to see if he's really that bad, it looks like he is) but Burch Smith has been excellent.  Cowser has been hitting great lately, Holliday is hitting piss missiles all of a sudden like it's batting practice....I don't care about the matchups, I don't care about lefty/lefty or whatever the hell...gotta ride with the hot hands.  Cowser looks to be a piece of the future, he's gotta hit lefties eventually.  Holliday is in the same boat.

So I get the Hyde criticism tonight, I really do.  But if those moves work out, no one here is saying anything.  I've said it before, I'll say it again, the easiest things "fans" can do is grumble when a move is being made that they don't like and then pile on when that move doesn't work out.  Yeah, it's easy to say that he shouldn't have brought Soto in when we all know that a lefty/lefty matchup is advantageous, so don't pretend that the matchup couldn't favor Soto (especially against Varsho who isn't a great hitter).

Soto has been terrible, though. Defensible move down 5-0 or up 5-0. But not 1-0 with a runner on. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It’s Steve Melewski asking the hard hitting questions. Soooooooo…….

Melewski DID actually sort of ask him the question. Good for him!!!!! Complete non answer from Hyde but good for Melewski for asking the question. 

Yup basically said “ took a chance it didn’t work out”

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Soto has been terrible, though. Defensible move down 5-0 or up 5-0. But not 1-0 with a runner on. 

I’m more whipped up about pinch hitting for Holliday. You’re down 5-1 with the bases loaded and nobody out. Give the kid a chance…

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Eh, if Soto executes Hyde looks fine. He had to get one guy out, he didn't do it and the whole thing snowballed out of control.

Who could’ve guess that the guy who’s given up 8 ER in 1 2/3 IP wouldn’t execute. 

• Upvote 1

One question for Hyde in PC on platoon split.  "went with Austin who worked a big walk,"  "took a shot with Mayo and the bases loaded and it didn't work out."     No one question why PH for the potentially better hitters in JH and CC.     Focus was Grayson being evaluated and Suarez coming up big.   Seems like Hyde went in thinking the game was a loss, team didn't hit much.  

8 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

If Mayo hit a GS, we would all be hitting these boards differently. But Hyde WTF, do not pull this is the playoffs. I get the playoff testing and will digress for now…

Get what you are saying but playoffs are far from a lock given the injury situation we have and lack of good play the last 1.5 months. Yeah I know we are still like -5000 to make it but if this GRod injury is anything serious we may be in real trouble. 

8 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

One question for Hyde in PC on platoon split.  "went with Austin who worked a big walk,"  "took a shot with Mayo and the bases loaded and it didn't work out."     No one question why PH for the potentially better hitters in JH and CC.     Focus was Grayson being evaluated and Suarez coming up big.   Seems like Hyde went in thinking the game was a loss, team didn't hit much.  

Mayo isn’t even proven. Doesn’t have a hit, yet. It’s such a weird sequencing. PHing Mayo for Urias would at least make sense because Urias can’t hit lefties. But Cowser?

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It’s Steve Melewski asking the hard hitting questions. Soooooooo…….

Melewski DID actually sort of ask him the question. Good for him!!!!! Complete non answer from Hyde but good for Melewski for asking the question. 

Not even a non-answer sadly. Just an abject falsehood.

He said he went with Slater, who has “been really good against lefties this year.”

Well…the only problem with that is that Slater has a .505 OPS against LHPs this year. Maybe he just misspoke, because Slater of course has been good against LHPs in his career — but I’m not in the mood to let him off the hook for that right now.

I wonder when anyone will ask them to address why they care so much about platoon matchups in a very general sense — but they don’t care at all about specific players’ long-term platoon splits (e.g., why Ramon Urias and his career .667 OPS against LHPs is the only one you would let hit against Cabrera, who himself has no discernible platoon differential). 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If you're going to bring a LH into a 1-0 game then Cionel Perez has to be the first choice, not Soto. 

Cionel is a late inning lefty not a 6th inning left hander.  So you bring in Perez then in 8th you have Soto to face those same guys then what.  If it was 8th inning then yes CIOnel first choice not 6th inning because it is lower leverage situations.