Brandon Hyde 2024

5 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Pulling him for Rortvedt as if Rortvedt is Juan Soto - while Suarez was pitching his career best game and cruising - was incredibly stupid. 

Hyde gets away with terrible managing because he has so much talent that bails him out. Anyone that points to the team's record and can't see how bad he is and refuses to accept this team would have an even better record with an average manager has low baseball IQ. 

Thank You. Well said

12 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah really, really poor to pull Suarez there.  If he'd been on the ropes or even a dangerous lefty was coming up I'd sort of get it.  But Suarez was rolling.

Yeah, I hated that decision.  He deserved the chance to finish the inning.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Pulling him for Rortvedt as if Rortvedt is Juan Soto - while Suarez was pitching his career best game and cruising - was incredibly stupid. 

Hyde gets away with terrible managing because he has so much talent that bails him out. Anyone that points to the team's record and can't see how bad he is and refuses to accept this team would have an even better record with an average manager has low baseball IQ. 

As much want to lay blame here on Hyde, he does manage according to Os analytics books…meaning LH/RH matchups both hitting and pitching, pulling starters at certain pitch counts regardless of game situation, etc.  like if Hyde deviated from these in house probabilities he would not be current manager.  So I get fans frustrations when moves don’t work, but Os (Elias/Sig) philosophy believes they do at higher winning probabilities, so that’s where frustrations should be directed as well. 

Edited by Say O!

10 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

This. 

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

That’s the thing. He didn’t have to use the crappy bullpen at all in that situation. 

Exactly.  Yeah the bullpen has been bad.  So let your starter who is cruising go on and face that #8 batter.  

I was surprised to see Al start the 7th. Hyde got about as much as he could out of him and pushed him to a season high pitch count. I have no problem pulling him with a LHB coming up and asking the bullpen to get ONE out. Hyde out Perez in a position where you would expect him to succeed. Perez just didn't do the job and that is on him. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Well I am proud then to stand up for my low baseball IQ.  He managed this team to the best record in baseball coming into today with 4 starters missing significant time.  He has also managed this team to this record with his closer in a collapse the second half of the season.  If you think any other manager would have a better record losing Bradish, Means, Wells, Columbe, GRod and allstar Jordan Westberg then you need a new gauge for your baseball IQ.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was surprised to see Al start the 7th. Hyde got about as much as he could out of him and pushed him to a season high pitch count. I have no problem pulling him with a LHB coming up and asking the bullpen to get ONE out. Hyde out Perez in a position where you would expect him to succeed. Perez just didn't do the job and that is on him. 

This. Perez might be the #3 option out of the pen now with Webb out, and #1 and #2 were unavailable today. He inherited a 2 out, none on situation and he needs to be able to turn that into a zero, even if that wily Kevin Cash can pinch hit a righty with a 90 OPS+ and a switch hitter with a 63 OPS+.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I hated that decision.  He deserved the chance to finish the inning.

I think it was clearly a pitch count decision, which it seems like a lot of teams are slaves to these day.

Suarez was two pitches away from his season high of 97.   So facing one more batter would be pretty much committing to a new season high.   And he was on "normal" four days rest -- every other time he has been over 90, was on e 5+ days of rest.   He hadn't thrown more than 89 on normal rest all season.

So I thinkt he decision was based on pitch count.  A lot of people thought he was done after 6.   I'm sure THAT waswhen the decision was actually made.   Hyde could have taken him out after 6, and would have been overjoyed to get 18 shutout outs from Suarez.   But he probably decided at that point to let him start the 7th and get up to about 95 pitches.   So maybe he'd only have to get 7 or 8 outs from the bullpen instead of 9 outs.

And to get the 7, or 8, or 9 outs out of the pen, he basically only had available Perez, Kimbrel, Baker, Akin, and Smith.   I think he was probably pencilling in Smith for the 9th (which says somehting about our pen when you consider that we were going to try to close a 1 run road division game with a guy the Marlins released 8 weeks ago!).   So Perez was an obvious choice to get some of those outs, given the alternatives.   Tampa's lineup had 6 righties, a switch hitter, and 2 lefties.   So there weren't a lot of places to use Perez to maximize his matchup potential.  But given the alternatives, it was pretty much a given that Perez was going to pitch.

So bringing him in to face a lefty (or force a bench move) when your starter was basically at his season high pitch count, seems pretty reasonable given what Hyde was working with.

The sad thing is what he ahs to work with in the bullpen right now.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Well I am proud then to stand up for my low baseball IQ.  He managed this team to the best record in baseball coming into today with 4 starters missing significant time.  He has also managed this team to this record with his closer in a collapse the second half of the season.  If you think any other manager would have a better record losing Bradish, Means, Wells, Columbe, GRod and allstar Jordan Westberg then you need a new gauge for your baseball IQ.  

Well said. 

25 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

This. Perez might be the #3 option out of the pen now with Webb out, and #1 and #2 were unavailable today. He inherited a 2 out, none on situation and he needs to be able to turn that into a zero, even if that wily Kevin Cash can pinch hit a righty with a 90 OPS+ and a switch hitter with a 63 OPS+.

Yes, Perez failed not Hyde, used 2 PH ( O'Hearn and Adley) with runners in Scoring position, the absolute moves to make both times, but no execution. Not to mention Coby fell on his ass with 2 in scoring position. It's hard to win when you only score one run. At some point the players have to do better.

This game was more on the offense and the Rays pitching was just better than them today.  It happens ad you can’t expect to score 4+ runs every game like they do lots of nights.  Even the best offenses get shut down at times so it is what it is.  Day off after tough road trip in Toronto and late flight into Tampa Friday so taking 2 out of 3 is great job.