Luis De Leon 2024

Sports Guy

19 hours ago, Malike said:

Tony, do you have any idea what type of extension he gets to the plate? Average? Elite?

It's to say since I don't have extension numbers for the minors, but due to his size and the way he kinda flings the ball up there I'm guessing it's above the 6-2 average.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The babip vs DeLeon is 289…yet the BA against him is 180 and the OpS against him is 501.

His K rate is over 14. His BB rate is just over 2.

He has a 6:1 k/bb ratio.

Westburg and Gunnar will defend the dirt better than he's getting now.

De Leon is 1st of almost 1000 affiliated pitchers who have cleared 70 innings in 2023-2024 in GB%.

Sure as scientific method I would bet he shares some attributes with Framber Valdez that the Orioles would like to keep as private as possible.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Westburg and Gunnar will defend the dirt better than he's getting now.

De Leon is 1st of almost 1000 affiliated pitchers who have cleared 70 innings in 2023-2024 in GB%.

Sure as scientific method I would bet he shares some attributes with Framber Valdez that the Orioles would like to keep as private as possible.

High GB% and high K rate is such a wonderful combo.  His swingstr% could use some improving but it’s not too far from very good.

On 5/4/2024 at 10:31 AM, Sports Guy said:

High GB% and high K rate is such a wonderful combo.  His swingstr% could use some improving but it’s not too far from very good.

He gets a lot of weak ground ball and Baltimore chops which allows him on occasion to get a quick out. He can miss bats when he needs to but he also is not afraid to pitch to contact this year because of the movement of his pitches.

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Maybe his last start in Delmarva?

I hope so. They are being very cautious with his pitch count still, but he's ben very consistent. Time to see how his stuff plays against High-ball hitters. I think he will do just fine there though he may give up a little more louder contact at first.

I'd wondered if Braylin Tavera could take the Gunnar-Mayo-Basallo baton, but maybe the lens just needed a wider focus.

De Leon looking good to be 2024's guy that any Club could have had who is having a big breakout year.

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He gets a lot of weak ground ball and Baltimore chops which allows him on occasion to get a quick out. He can miss bats when he needs to but he also is not afraid to pitch to contact this year because of the movement of his pitches.

I saw his swingstr% is 17%. MLB average is around 20% although that includes relievers too, so starters are probably a little worse than that.

He’s not far off but certainly would like to see more.

The ceiling is so high with this guy.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I saw his swingstr% is 17%. MLB average is around 20% although that includes relievers too, so starters are probably a little worse than that.

He’s not far off but certainly would like to see more.

The ceiling is so high with this guy.

I love that we have him because he's a true SP prospect, and a lefty to boot. That said, I'm not sure what his actual ceiling is. The stuff is good, but not dominant, right?

I'm thinking his ceiling is a #2/3 starter at this point. I certainly like that, but he's not in the Grayson Rodriguez level of prospect is he?

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I love that we have him because he's a true SP prospect, and a lefty to boot. That said, I'm not sure what his actual ceiling is. The stuff is good, but not dominant, right?

I'm thinking his ceiling is a #2/3 starter at this point. I certainly like that, but he's not in the Grayson Rodriguez level of prospect is he?

Maybe Zach Britton? 

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Probably not quite that high but if he’s going to be a big K guy, miss bats, keep the walks down and throw a ton of GBs, that’s basically the dream profile.

Now, he obviously has a ways to go and personally, I agree with Tony that he needs to go Aberdeen but the profile is what you want.

It'll be interesting to see how far they let him go this year.

2022 was 250 game pitches, 2023 was 650 game pitches.

FG had him at 327 this morning, so now at 389 with this afternoon's 62.

Orion Kerkering and AJ Smith-Shawver were a couple super young guys last year where Win Now teams just let them go.

29 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

My dream for Grayson is HOF good.  My dream for DeLeon is Alcantara/Framber-esque.  Neither are probably fair, but it's my dream!

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Probably not quite that high but if he’s going to be a big K guy, miss bats, keep the walks down and throw a ton of GBs, that’s basically the dream profile.

Now, he obviously has a ways to go and personally, I agree with Tony that he needs to go Aberdeen but the profile is what you want.

For some reason I wasn't seeing him as a K guy. I guess that's just not how I think of ground ball pitchers. He is currently at 14k per 9 though, so that's awesome.