Luis De Leon 2024

Sports Guy

The Orioles signed De León for a $30,000 bonus in December two years ago. That makes him something of an unusual signing in that he did not get signed on January 15 with most of the other prospects of that type. The O’s found De León a little later. He was already 18 when they signed him, again unlike the typical Dominican signings who can be as young as 16.

Camden Chat

$30,000 is crazy cheap for Tony's #12 prospect in a great system. He's ahead of Jackson Baumeister who went to FSU, got drafted in the 2nd round, and got a 1.6M bonus.

It happens though. Elly de la Cruz signed for only $65,000. This stuff happens when you participate in this market.

16 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Camden Chat

$30,000 is crazy cheap for Tony's #12 prospect in a great system. He's ahead of Jackson Baumeister who went to FSU, got drafted in the 2nd round, and got a 1.6M bonus.

It happens though. Elly de la Cruz signed for only $65,000. This stuff happens when you participate in this market.

He was a late bloomer who was came on after most of his age group had agreements. This happens often in this market because not everyone shows a ton of promise at 14-15 years old when most of these agreements are made. 

Josh Hader was barely touching 70 MPH when he was 14-15 years old. 

15 hours ago, Bird Lady said:

The broadcaster also said today that he has never given up a home run, which is interesting.

He throws bowling balls up there. I'd love to see his statcast data in his power sinker.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Camden Chat

I believe the Astros entire starting rotation signed for less than 100k combined. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I believe the Astros entire starting rotation signed for less than 100k combined. 

Sounds right because none were signed at 16.  Some were signed at the “advanced” age of 21-22.    Hats off to those scouts and their development team.  Luis García, Christian Javier, Framber Valdez, and the no hit kid.  Pretty amazing.

• Upvote 1

Great start for De Leon.  61 pitches in 4 innings is pretty efficient, especially at that level. He’ll be one to watch closely.   

I always like to know how unearned runs scored.   In this case, De Leon got two outs after the second double without the runner advancing.  But then the runner stole 3B and scored on a throwing error by the catcher.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Sounds right because none were signed at 16.  Some were signed at the “advanced” age of 21-22.    Hats off to those scouts and their development team.  Luis García, Christian Javier, Framber Valdez, and the no hit kid.  Pretty amazing.

Also JP France was a 14th round pick and signed for 1k.  No, I’m not missing a digit there. 

Ok, went back and watched him. Showed a nice three pitch mix and as usual, was death on left-handers after the 1st hitter (Lefty) ambushed the 1st pitch of the game for an oppo double. Hard to get a read on velocity since the FredNats broadcast MPH was all over the place. I did see a 94 once, but hitters did not hit him hard after the first inning, and even then they were two oppo doubles.

He didn't seem to have a ton of feel for the changeup on this day, so was pretty heavy sinker/slider combo most of the time though he did throw a couple decent changeups. His delivery looks more compact and repeatable and the really good thing was he was able to make quality pitches in he few three ball counts he got to.

That was his 10th Delmarva start and he turns 21 this week so a few more nice starts like this and we could see him get moved to Aberdeen. Saying that, let's not get ahead of ourselves and see if he can string 3 or 4 good starts together.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ok, went back and watched him. Showed a nice three pitch mix and as usual, was death on left-handers after the 1st hitter (Lefty) ambushed the 1dst pitch of the game for an oppo double. Hard to get a red on velocity since the FredNats broadcast MPH was all over the place. I did see a 94 once, but hitters did not hit him hard after the first inning, and even then they were two oppo doubles.

He didn't seem to have a ton of feel for the changeup on this day, so was pretty heavy sinker/slider combo most of the time though he did throw a couple decent changeups. His delivery looks more compact and repeatable and the really good thing was he was able to make quality pitches in he few three ball counts he got to.

That was his 10th Delmarva start and he turns 21 this week so a few more nice starts like this and we could see him get moved to Aberdeen. Saying that, let's not get ahead of ourselves and see if he can string 3 or 4 good starts together.

Was he missing a lot of bats?

46 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Saying that, let's not get ahead of ourselves and see if he can string 3 or 4 good starts together.

Too late, Tony. I'm at a point where I want him to skip Aberdeen altogether!