Samuel Basallo 2024

Just Regular

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I appreciate your update and observations, but I'm surprised your questioning Basallo's toughness. Minor League managers don't take any chances with big prospects and are under strict rules when it comes to taking guys out or not playing them. I don't think anybody who catches professional lacks toughness. 

Let's hope nothing was broke. I didn't see the injury but I don't like the reaction that you stated. 

Yeah, putting on the pads and sitting in the squat position on a 100 degree day wasn’t for me.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I appreciate your update and observations, but I'm surprised your questioning Basallo's toughness. Minor League managers don't take any chances with big prospects and are under strict rules when it comes to taking guys out or not playing them. I don't think anybody who catches professional lacks toughness. 

Let's hope nothing was broke. I didn't see the injury but I don't like the reaction that you stated. 

The Nick Markakis hammate injury still pops in my head when I see that.  That cost him being in the playoffs in 2012 and he never had the same power.  

On 8/13/2024 at 8:05 AM, luismatos4prez said:

Caminero has been promoted today giving Basallo a clear path to our fourth straight offseason #1. Who could challenge him now? Maybe Carson Williams, Dylan Crews, or Jordan Lawlar in some publications.

Seems like Basallo would need to go on a heater to take #1 prospect. 

On 8/15/2024 at 2:08 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

The Nick Markakis hammate injury still pops in my head when I see that.  That cost him being in the playoffs in 2012 and he never had the same power.  

Check the numbers his decline in power predates the injury.

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2024 at 1:04 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Check the numbers his decline in power predates the injury.

Do you think power is going to be an issue for him?  He has 15 homers coming off of a stress fracture in his elbow and a hand injury.  Don’t think there is much to worry about for a guy that has been 19 most of this season. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Do you think power is going to be an issue for him?  He has 15 homers coming off of a stress fracture in his elbow and a hand injury.  Don’t think there is much to worry about for a guy that has been 19 most of this season. 

I was talking about Markakis.

Sitting on an even .800 OPS currently.

Is it an "out there" take, to think that Basallo might not have the same adjustment period that our other rookie hitters have had simply because he might be a better pure hitter, and just quite frankly hasn't been in the system with gym shorts/analytics style coaching?  

Thoughts?  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is it an "out there" take, to think that Basallo might not have the same adjustment period that our other rookie hitters have had simply because he might be a better pure hitter, and just quite frankly hasn't been in the system with gym shorts/analytics style coaching?  

Thoughts?  

I wouldn’t go as far to say better pure hitter. My personal ETA for him is June 1st 2026 and that would be 5+ years in our system. College coaches jobs are to win games first and foremost. Pro coaches jobs are to develop players. He should be the most developed hitter in the Elias era.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thoughts?  

He’s already been in the system longer than guys like Cowser and Holliday, and almost as long as Kjerstad, Westburg, and Mayo.

By the time he comes up, he’ll almost certainly have been with the Orioles organization longer than any of the current young guys were when they debuted. I don’t think there is much reason to think he will be less affected by the Orioles’ development process than the others — he will probably be more of a product of our system than the others, because we’re the only coaching he’s had since the age of 16. All the rest of them will have had high school and (in many cases) college coaching that’s been part of their development since age 16.

I don’t have any specific data on how much work he does in gym shorts, though.

• Upvote 1