Holliday called up!

jcaponio

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The other odd thing was that Kemp was already plan B, as we had Kolton Wong in camp and he was going to be the Holliday placeholder.   They must have seen something over the course of the spring that made them think that Wong was SO bad that he was not even adequate for that role, so they went out and got Kemp.

I think it was just that they liked Kemp's ability to play both the IF and OF, which Wong can't do. Or McKenna for that matter. 

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The other odd thing was that Kemp was already plan B, as we had Kolton Wong in camp and he was going to be the Holliday placeholder.   They must have seen something over the course of the spring that made them think that Wong was SO bad that he was not even adequate for that role, so they went out and got Kemp.

No, it was Kolten that refused to be demoted to AAA. As he has been in the league for ten years, it was his right to opt out.

15 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

The thought of Rubenstein making the call for Holliday? Look, I doubt that happened but this move also goes against everything we have seen Elias do in the past.  The difference between now and the past is Rubenstein. 

Again — until we see evidence to contrary, I’m taking David Rubenstein at his word. Why would he describe his method of leadership to allow his baseball experts make the call and then change that two weeks in?

With excess like Urias (gold glove) or Hays (all-star) to shop around, comps that come to mind are Gerardo Parra (for Zach Davies) and Travis Snider (for Steven Brault). So yeah, we should be able to net a deal like that (in reverse, for the O's).

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No GM would admit that it's about service control.  Ever.  

He still hasn't faced a lot of Triple-A quality pitching, two or three weeks later.

EVER! So funny how people are influenced by GM speak. We don't really understand why the change of heart, so the only thing that made sense was they didn't want him to face series of left-handers early in the year. It still doesn't make any sense why they signed Kemp when they had Wong and Maton if this was the plan all along.

I still can't see this organization being influenced by small sample sizes of PAs in AAA either.

I guess the significance of the timing was so he would have a better chance for the Rookie of the year award with most other rookies off to a slow start, but not sure why they wouldn't have waited the 4 days unless they plan to sign him long term.

Perhaps the new ownership finally had time to discuss this and they have a plan to sign Holliday long term, and bringing him up now is a gesture of good will. That's what I'm going with.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os sitting Holliday on Friday because Hall is pitching would be the ultimate troll job.

They are giving away a Jackson Holliday debut t-shirt Friday.   I doubt he sits.

Just now, Orioles West said:

Again — until we see evidence to contrary, I’m taking David Rubenstein at his word. Why would he describe his method of leadership to allow his baseball experts make the call and then change that two weeks in?

To that point as well, the other potential rookies of the year are scuttling. I think, the O's are true believers in Jackson's talent to attain one of the top two spots in ROY. So it actually does fall in line with what Elias believes. It's a bit of a gamble, but that's like holding a full house and expecting to win the pot. Sure, there are a couple of possible hands to beat ya, but the odds are very much in your favor.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Orioles West said:

I said I doubt that Rubenstein interfered but I’m just saying it’s something that can’t be completely ruled out. Also I think @Sports Guy made a good point maybe Rubenstein simply told Elias don’t worry about the finances like you have in the past, if he’s ready bring him up and we will get him extended. Which if that’s the case then that’s amazing. 

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I said I doubt that Rubenstein interfered but I’m just saying it’s something that can’t be completely ruled out. Also I think @Sports Guy made a good point maybe Rubenstein simply told Elias don’t worry about the finances like you have in the past, if he’s ready bring him up and we will get him extended. Which if that’s the case then that’s amazing. 

I just think you're stirring a pot that's ice cold man. Quite frankly, it's a silly assertation all things considered.

• Upvote 2

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I said I doubt that Rubenstein interfered but I’m just saying it’s something that can’t be completely ruled out. Also I think @Sports Guy made a point maybe Rubenstein simply told Elias don’t worry about the finances like you have in the past, if he’s ready bring him up and we will get him extended. Which if that’s the case then that’s amazing. 

I agree it seems unusual to call him up now and not wait the extra 3 days. I just hope the O's are in an equally strong position in 6 years so that Holliday potentially leaving wont be a big issue. 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

EVER! So funny how people are influenced by GM speak. We don't really understand why the change of heart, so the only thing that made sense was they didn't want him to face series of left-handers early in the year. It still doesn't make any sense why they signed Kemp when they had Wong and Maton if this was the plan all along.

I still can't see this organization being influenced by small sample sizes of PAs in AAA either.

I guess the significance of the timing was so he would have a better chance for the Rookie of the year award with most other rookies off to a slow start, but not sure why they wouldn't have waited the 4 days unless they plan to sign him long term.

Perhaps the new ownership finally had time to discuss this and they have a plan to sign Holliday long term, and bringing him up now is a gesture of good will. That's what I'm going with.

Here's hoping there's a deal in the works to announce on Friday.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm going with that too Rubenstein gave the go ahead to start working on contract extensions with players who open to signing right now.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Do people really believe this? I'd love that, but I'm struggling to make the connection between his call up and an extension. 

I've been saying it wasn't about the service time, and it turns out it wasn't. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even if an extension of some kind is in the works, which would be cool — Boras isn’t going to include bonus years of control, unless it is money at a level we’ve never seen the O’s throw at a player.