Holliday called up!

jcaponio

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I said I doubt that Rubenstein interfered but I’m just saying it’s something that can’t be completely ruled out. Also I think @Sports Guy made a good point maybe Rubenstein simply told Elias don’t worry about the finances like you have in the past, if he’s ready bring him up and we will get him extended. Which if that’s the case then that’s amazing. 

Even with no explicit direction from Rubenstein, the world has to look a whole lot different to Elias now that JA isn't in the driver's seat.  That has to change his thinking even if we can't identify exactly how.  I do think that extension talk is a little premature, although others will no doubt disagree.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Here's hoping there's a deal in the works to announce on Friday.

Well that would be great news and the time to strike is probably now before Holliday puts up some huge numbers. It could happen I'm just not expecting it. 

11 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Urias has been a good player for us but it's Mayo time.  A lotto ticket trade is fine.  Keep the bus moving.  I'd still move ROH for Kjerstad.  If Hays doesn't get going, Norby and Stowers are waiting.   I want all the kids in Baltimore.  Uncle Dave has plenty of money for extensions.

If the goal is to win a WS in 2024, there's no promise that Kjerstad can match or exceed ROH with the bat as a rookie (at least vs RHP). I expect him to be better eventually, but I can understand not wanting to make that move when Elias is trying to win now. I was all in favor of moving ROH in the off-season, but I'm starting to come around on the idea that he really has turned into a good hitter. 

1 minute ago, Orioles West said:

Even if an extension of some kind is in the works, which would be cool — Boras isn’t going to include bonus years of control, unless it is money at a level we’ve never seen the O’s throw at a player.

its up to the player not Boras. But agree on the surface an extension looks difficult.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Do people really believe this? I'd love that, but I'm struggling to make the connection between his call up and an extension. 

I've been saying it wasn't about the service time, and it turns out it wasn't. 

The thinking is Elias wouldn’t concede the year of service time unless he had an extension in hand.   Without an extension, the service time manipulation angle goes out the window for good.

Here's another wrinkle that Elias I'm sure thought of. Look at the coverage today. This is Jackson's day. He gets to be showcased across the nation, all eyes on him. This skyrockets his brand and push for ROY. If he would have come up with the club originally, not only would he have faced many many lefties, making it tough for him to really debut and get going, but you would also be competing with the Opening Day storylines that would for certain dominate the headlines. 

This is a tremendously savvy move by Elias and the FO and will likely, if he has a great year, secure the team with another year of service time and yet another first round pick. Elias is extending the window of championship level baseball in Baltimore as far as he possibly can. What a tremendous tactician.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

EVER! So funny how people are influenced by GM speak. We don't really understand why the change of heart, so the only thing that made sense was they didn't want him to face series of left-handers early in the year. It still doesn't make any sense why they signed Kemp when they had Wong and Maton if this was the plan all along.

I still can't see this organization being influenced by small sample sizes of PAs in AAA either.

I guess the significance of the timing was so he would have a better chance for the Rookie of the year award with most other rookies off to a slow start, but not sure why they wouldn't have waited the 4 days unless they plan to sign him long term.

Perhaps the new ownership finally had time to discuss this and they have a plan to sign Holliday long term, and bringing him up now is a gesture of good will. That's what I'm going with.

Why’s it funny when it proved what he said was more true than it being about service time?

Just now, jabba72 said:

its up to the player not Boras. But agree on the surface an extension looks difficult.

Absolutely, but most of his clients take his advice of hitting the open market for best value. And, I think JH and family are still bummed he didn’t move north with the team — I think they understand this weird two week delay less than we do (other then the LHP gauntlet Tony mentioned).

1 minute ago, Orioles West said:

Absolutely, but most of his clients take his advice of hitting the open market for best value. And, I think JH and family are still bummed he didn’t move north with the team — I think they understand this weird two week delay less than we do (other then the LHP gauntlet Tony mentioned).

I disagree completely and all this extension talk is asinine.

2 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Here's another wrinkle that Elias I'm sure thought of. Look at the coverage today. This is Jackson's day. He gets to be showcased across the nation, all eyes on him. This skyrockets his brand and push for ROY. If he would have come up with the club originally, not only would he have faced many many lefties, making it tough for him to really debut and get going, but you would also be competing with the Opening Day storylines that would for certain dominate the headlines. 

This is a tremendously savvy move by Elias and the FO and will likely, if he has a great year, secure the team with another year of service time and yet another first round pick. Elias is extending the window of championship level baseball in Baltimore as far as he possibly can. What a tremendous tactician.

How does a great year secure the team with another year of service time?

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The thinking is Elias wouldn’t concede the year of service time unless he had an extension in hand.   Without an extension, the service time manipulation angle goes out the window for good.

Yeah, I just feel like that's a weird stretch. I mean, didn't we do this with Adley?