Observations from tonight's blowout

DocJJ

24 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

lol

lmao even

I like Mullins  However I don't think he has been particularly good the past 2 years and he probably is not part of the future.

Can we agree on that?

So if he hasn't been good.  Isn't good now.  And isn't part of the future.

Why should he play over someone who at the very least can provide the same and who potentially can be here in the future?

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

11 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I like Mullins  However I don't think he has been particularly good the past 2 years and he probably is not part of the future.

Can we agree on that?

Why should he play over someone who at the very least can provide the same and who potentially can be here in the future?

Mullins has been worth 7.1 rWAR/5.8 fWAR since the start of 2022. Teams generally do not cut ~3 WAR guys who play premium positions like CF.

Thankfully I do not believe Mike Elias will consider your "cut Mullins" suggestion.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

On Wells, have people forgotten that he looked like th8s all of the sudden midseason last year?  The hope was that it was a blip, but maybe the first half of last year was the blip. 

It's definitely the latter. He's a home run machine. And how can a guy that big have such a weak fastball? I have a lot more confidence in Kremer at the back end of the rotation.

And I realize it's too early to be in panic mode with Hays but we need to find a  way to have a roster filled with our best players NOW. Holliday needs more seasoning at AAA. That's clear. Urias can be moved. We need to find a way to bring up Kierstad, Norby, Stowers and Mayo sooner rather than later. 

Finally we need to trade for a legit quality starter. Should have done that once Means and Bradish went down. A big mistake for Elias that hopefully can be rectified soon.

One bad loss and we need to change things. Every team has a few bad losses a year. People were really upset when Holliday didn't make the team out of spring training and now he needs more seasoning. Not sure how good this team is going to be. Many comeback wins that are tough to do every night. Pitching and injuries will play a big role and inevitably one of the other starters will be injured at least for a little while. 

Hays is the one that scares me. The worst he plays and the less he plays and harder to get out of his slump. One hit can really help him.

Paul Blackburn is someone the Orioles need to go after at the trade deadline if available. We have the prospects to trade. .He has not been great and might not cost alot in prospects but maybe he has a career year and not a free agent till 2026.

Edited by Going Underground

3 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Can we agree on that?

No one we have can provide the same. Mullins is pretty locked into the lineup because no one else can play center anywhere near his level. And we don’t have anyone ready in the minors anywhere near that level either. Cutting Mullins right now would be ridiculously stupid. 

3 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Mullins has been worth 7.1 rWAR/5.8 fWAR since the start of 2022. Teams generally do not cut ~3 WAR guys who play premium positions like CF.

Thankfully I do not believe Mike Elias will consider your "cut Mullins" suggestion.

Most of that plus war was accumulated in 2022 and 40 days in 2023.   He ended up hitting .233 last year.  For your CF and former leadoff guy?  Who more than likely won't be here much longer?

Nah.  I'm good.

As for Holliday imo he should stay here and take his lumps.   Who else do we want here?  Kemp.

Again nah.  I'm good.

I would much rather suck with our guys who will be here for the next 5 years rather than suck with guys who won't.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

One of my worst baseball viewing experiences. 45 min early and they had already ran out of shirts. Rainy cold windy and a game that gave me horror visions of 2018. fights were breaking out down 9-1. Miserable and embarrassing. Left after 6 innings. Hope they can bounce back and this isn’t a sign of things to come.

1 minute ago, baltimoriole said:

One of my worst baseball viewing experiences. 45 min early and they had already ran out of shirts. Rainy cold windy and a game that gave me horror visions of 2018. fights were breaking out down 9-1. Miserable and embarrassing. Left after 6 innings. Hope they can bounce back and this isn’t a sign of things to come.

Fight as in the stands?  Last night?  Or do you mean in 2018?

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

People seem to think that it’s a given that Irvin is the one to move to the bullpen when Means comes back but I’m not sure why that is. Wells certainly is a contender, he’s been pretty bad. 

We hope Means can come back and be Means. But that doesn’t look like a given. 

As far as Wells and Irvin are concerned, can they both go? Lol

It’s not like either is any good.

• Upvote 1

I'm generally a pessimist, but some of the stuff in this thread is a bit over the top. Everything about last nights game was embarrassing...the only decent takeaways would be Tate and Cowser. The fact that it happened during a broadcast where more non O's and Brewers fans were watching just compounds it a little bit more.

Hays will get a plenty of chances to fix things, but he's as lost at the plate as he can be right now.

Cut Mullins...lol. He's currently on a pace for a 3.5 WAR season according to Baseball Reference. That's with him being a bit mediocre at the plate. I'm sure he's going to warm up a bit as long as he stays healthy.

Holliday, they seem committed to letting him take the 2B job. I think once he gets his first bloop hit or however it comes, he'll relax a bit. He literally has everyone and his brother watching his every move right now. Cal looked like a young fan watching his AB last night. That's an inordinate amount of pressure. 

The team needs a couple of pitchers. That's going to be an issue until the deadline and getting healthy. Wells just seems to be better suited for the BP. As soon and gloom as I feel sometimes, they're right on pace with their winning percentage from last year. They'll be ok.

25 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Fight as in the stands?  Last night?  Or do you mean in 2018?

When I said fights I meant benches clearing. And 2018 I was referring to regularly getting stomped by double digits. When you’re getting hammered by 10-runs the other team can woof. If you don’t like it play better. Oh and bench hays.

4 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm generally a pessimist, but some of the stuff in this thread is a bit over the top. Everything about last nights game was embarrassing...the only decent takeaways would be Tate and Cowser. The fact that it happened during a broadcast where more non O's and Brewers fans were watching just compounds it a little bit more.

Hays will get a plenty of chances to fix things, but he's as lost at the plate as he can be right now.

Cut Mullins...lol. He's currently on a pace for a 3.5 WAR season according to Baseball Reference. That's with him being a bit mediocre at the plate. I'm sure he's going to warm up a bit as long as he stays healthy.

Holliday, they seem committed to letting him take the 2B job. I think once he gets his first bloop hit or however it comes, he'll relax a bit. He literally has everyone and his brother watching his every move right now. Cal looked like a young fan watching his AB last night. That's an inordinate amount of pressure. 

The team needs a couple of pitchers. That's going to be an issue until the deadline and getting healthy. Wells just seems to be better suited for the BP. As soon and gloom as I feel sometimes, they're right on pace with their winning percentage from last year. They'll be ok.

Yeah I shouldn't have said consider cutting him.  That was an over reaction on my part.  I don't think he should be cut.   I do think he is much better suited hitting lead off.  He seems most comfy there.  And if he still doesn't really produce?  At the very least start playing him less. 

3 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

When I said fights I meant benches clearing. And 2018 I was referring to regularly getting stomped by double digits. When you’re getting hammered by 10-runs the other team can woof. If you don’t like it play better. Oh and bench hays.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

4 hours ago, baltimoriole said:

He did it with Holliday who is 4 years younger and only <150 AAA ABs.

Oh boy. Do we really need to go down that road? Are we going to compare Povich & Holliday and get into the weeds of why their situation is not the same?