Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

6 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

It is funny that it is Bench, as a last name. Anyone else? I’m still looking 

Realmuto tops out at 139 games. I think Bench and Adley are anomalies. It is not a standard fora Catcher to play 150+ games a season.

Most catchers can’t hit so they are not rotating at DH on a regular basis. The NL only recently got the DH so that wasn’t an option for a lot of the good hitting catchers back in the day. It’s not really an apples to apples comparison in many ways. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gary Carter was the first that came to mind, the Expos and the Mets put an absurd amount of wear and tear on him.

That wear and tear really shortened his career. 😎🤣

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

image.thumb.png.2a053dc9fb54f6746a353590c99c57de.png

Is that enough? I only scrolled halfway down the page.

No it is not! Show me a 230 IP starting pitcher and you will not get the same sample, except for a few anomalies or from before the 1990 era of baseball. Not one season in The last 24 years.

Edited by Since1984

Speaking of Adley, I found myself in a debate with Orioles fans on Facebook who criticized him for throwing down with runners on first and third Sunday.

Several seemed to think I was crazy for arguing you don't just give up stolen bases in the majors. Has the game changed the last few years or are people confusing the majors with high school catcher who give up steals of second with winners on third?

OK, rhetorical point is out of the way.  Now to whether Adley is being overused by current standards.  I say no.  He caught 104 games last year, and is on pace for 102 this year.  That’s a pretty light catching workload for a starting catcher.  Yes he DH’s most other days, but that’s not that heavy a lift, and Hyde bumped up the number of monthly full days off in the summer months last year.  I’m sure he’ll do that again.  

By the way, the O’s are now 9-1 when Adley catches, 1-5 when he doesn’t.  Going into tonight, the staff had a 2.73 ERA with Adley catching, 5.43 when he didn’t.  (Admittedly, 6 of the 9 wins were with Burnes or GRod on the mound, while McCann only caught Burnes once and hasn’t caught GRod.)

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would not call what I am seeing slappy. Looks locked in to me hitting everything hard, mostly up the middle.

Perhaps I’ve missed it (I missed the HR yesterday) but from what I’ve seen he doesn’t seem to be doing a lot of damage and the bat looks like it’s sluggish through the zone and disconnected from his body. Hopefully just a timing thing but I’m concerned about an injury. 

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would not call what I am seeing slappy. Looks locked in to me hitting everything hard, mostly up the middle.

Perhaps I’ve missed it (I missed the HR yesterday) but from what I’ve seen he doesn’t seem to be doing a lot of damage and the bat looks like it’s sluggish through the zone and disconnected from his body. Hopefully just a timing thing but I’m concerned about an injury. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

OK, rhetorical point is out of the way.  Now to whether Adley is being overused by current standards.  I say no.  He caught 104 games last year, and is on pace for 102 this year.  That’s a pretty light catching workload for a starting catcher.  Yes he DH’s most other days, but that’s not that heavy a lift, and Hyde bumped up the number of monthly full days off in the summer months last year.  I’m sure he’ll do that again.  

By the way, the O’s are now 9-1 when Adley catches, 1-5 when he doesn’t.  Going into tonight, the staff had a 2.73 ERA with Adley catching, 5.43 when he didn’t.  (Admittedly, 6 of the 9 wins were with Burnes or GRod on the mound, while McCann only caught Burnes once and hasn’t caught GRod.)

I remember your similar analysis last season+ and agree with your take. For me, I’m not used to seeing such usage of any Oriole catcher during my fandom, but will digress.

28 minutes ago, joelala said:

He's in the 80th percentile for hard hit %.

43 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

No it is not! Show me a 230 IP starting pitcher and you will not get the same sample, except for a few anomalies or from before the 1990 era of baseball. Not one season in The last 24 years.

Okay, I'll show you 230 IP starting pitchers too.

image.thumb.png.c7a8f4e7d1d411c9819ccdb364d9aeaf.png