Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

It's an interesting thought to try to acquire or develop another two-way catcher. I've always thought that's exactly why Basallo is so highly regarded by this FO. I'm sure he's a good prospect in a vacuum, but the handcuff to AR as an insurance policy and double dip at an offensively challenged position puts him under the magnifying glass for us.

16 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

So what does this stat tells us ?  

Exactly what you said: it's a big split. Of course, we should still be aware of sample size and the difference between correlation and causation, etc. Would be interesting to see if the DH split is more powerful than his platoon split (which now favors LHP) but there appears to be a case for DHing more and catching less. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly what you said: it's a big split. Of course, we should still be aware of sample size and the difference between correlation and causation, etc. Would be interesting to see if the DH split is more powerful than his platoon split (which now favors LHP) but there appears to be a case for DHing more and catching less. 

That what was what I thought . It seems to show quite a difference between his catcher/DH . The question is why . Since Adley is switch hitter, he can change side based on pitcher matchups ?

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

They really aren’t riding him that hard.  He ranks 13th in innings caught.  Last year he was 11th.   Yeah, he DH’s almost every game where he doesn’t catch.  I’d say DHing requires maybe 10% of the physical and mental exertion that catching does.   I don’t expect the O’s to back off him in the second half, any more than they’ve already done.  

Understand. But the end result was that, in my opinion, he did not have a great series against the Yankee$ and watching him go through his pregame prep the first two days he appeared to be much less energetic than he has been in the past. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. He just didn't look like the same Adley I watched last year. It could just be confirmation bias on my part.

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Understand. But the end result was that, in my opinion, he did not have a great series against the Yankee$ and watching him go through his pregame prep the first two days he appeared to be much less energetic than he has been in the past. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. He just didn't look like the same Adley I watched last year. It could just be confirmation bias on my part.

It’s just been super hot and humid this week.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Except he’s not a good enough hitter do that over a full season.

Well I’ve never seen him play a full season of strictly DH with NO playing at catcher, but I have a feeling we’re both being at least a little facetious here.

In much the same way that he hit much better lefty in 2022 than he is now, I have a feeling that his C/DH splits are more of a statistical oddity rather than being able to conclusively say that he’s significantly better hitting either way/while playing either position.

On 7/15/2024 at 12:06 PM, Sports Guy said:

The thing no one talks about with this is that he mostly bats right handed when he DH’s and the right side is his stronger side. 

If you don’t feel he can hit as a catcher, trade him and get a lot of value for him while everyone thinks hes the best catcher in baseball. 

The fact that he’s actually hitting better from the right side while he’s catching than he is while DH’ing tells me this is probably just statistical noise.

• 3 weeks later...

Been waiting a while to posts this, but today was the straw that broke the camels back. 

Adley’s receiving is lazy and approaching  pathetic.  He gave so many pitches away on borderline pitches for Burnes today that should have been called strikes.  Just poor mechanics and laziness.  Thats the receiving…. 

Moving forward it’s going to be a track meet when he’s behind the plate, because he has no chance of throwing runners out.  Poor arm strength and even poorer accuracy.  

He needs to figure out a way make his defense a priority and make some fundamentally substantial changes for the better.  

I’m not impressed.  

20 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Been waiting a while to posts this, but today was the straw that broke the camels back. 

Adley’s receiving is lazy and approaching  pathetic.  He gave so many pitches away on borderline pitches for Burnes today that should have been called strikes.  Just poor mechanics and laziness.  Thats the receiving…. 

Moving forward it’s going to be a track meet when he’s behind the plate, because he has no chance of throwing runners out.  Poor arm strength and even poorer accuracy.  

He needs to figure out a way make his defense a priority and make some fundamentally substantial changes for the better.  

I’m not impressed.  

This is interesting and something to monitor. Has a he regressed defensively over a larger sample? 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

26 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I’m not impressed.  

Every stolen base today was 100% on Corbin Burnes, who sucks at that aspect of the game. 

As to framing, I’m simply not seeing what you’re seeing.  

• Like 1

Offense looks to be coming around finally, which is great.  Agree that he's a bit less crisp defensively.  I do wonder if he's nursing an injury.

As for the throws, he works with a staff that does him no favors. Why did Burnes keep throwing over twice today? That's just giving them a monster lead.