Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

On 6/1/2024 at 12:45 AM, Hallas said:

I'm still trying to figure out how this guy is out of the majors for 7 years and somehow manages to pick up 2 MPH on his fastball, at the age of 34.  But hey, I'm not complaining.

Statcast loves him so far this year.  Statcast thought he was a little unlucky in his last stint in the majors, and unsurprisingly they think he's getting a little lucky now, but even accounting for his good luck he's still in great pitcher territory.

The Elias regime, man. Their analytics and advanced scouting is ace.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In the second inning, I really thought this was a night where he didn’t have it.  But he pulled himself together.  

As good as he's been he cant continue to be "adequate" if we lose Bradish...were in a mess of trouble with pitching if Bradish is out...and he may be.

19 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

As good as he's been he cant continue to be "adequate" if we lose Bradish...were in a mess of trouble with pitching if Bradish is out...and he may be.

Maybe, bit that’s got nothing to do with Suarez, who been far more than adequate.  

20 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Bradish missed like a month and a half and we survived. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Losing Bradish is more of a potential post-season issue, should that happen. This team is plenty good enough to make it through the regular season without him.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, deward said:

Losing Bradish is more of a potential post-season issue, should that happen. This team is plenty good enough to make it through the regular season without him.

I would hope if they know he's not available, they will bolster the rotation, who knows, Povich might just find it and be a guy, stranger things have happened.

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Roy , are you saying that if Suarez continues to be “adequate “ , they should take him out of the rotation ?

what does Suarez has to do with Bradish ?   Please elaborate 

7 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Roy , are you saying that if Suarez continues to be “adequate “ , they should take him out of the rotation ?

what does Suarez has to do with Bradish ?   Please elaborate 

Oh, no.Perhaps I wasn't clear. Suarez has been solid and an "adequate " starter. I was just saying he cant be the dominant , elite pitcher Bradish is, as good as Suarez has been. I think if we lose Bradish it's going to be a struggle to win against the best teams..But Suarez belongs in the rotation for as long as he pitches well, and he HAS pitched well.

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Oh, no.Perhaps I wasn't clear. Suarez has been solid and an "adequate " starter. I was just saying he cant be the dominant , elite pitcher Bradish is, as good as Suarez has been. I think if we lose Bradish it's going to be a struggle to win against the best teams..But Suarez belongs in the rotation for as long as he pitches well, and he HAS pitched well.

Thanks for your clarification. Yes if Orioles lose Bradish for the  year , that would be a massive blow to team .  He would be difficult to replace . Nonetheless, Elias & staff  need  plan for trade for pitching reinforcements up to the deadline 

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

As good as he's been he cant continue to be "adequate" if we lose Bradish...we’re in a mess of trouble with pitching if Bradish is out...and he may be.

He has a 1.83 ERA and a 1.02 WHIP. Where would we be without this dude?  He’s been a Swiss Army knife for us. He probably solves the bullpen issue when Kremer comes back. 

He's kind of a Yennier Cano sequel, and with the higher volume role he is now to 40% of Cano's Orioles innings total.

40 innings of 1.83 vs. 100 innings of 2.25, discarding the distortion of Cano's 2022 results before player development had an offseason and spring with him.

I'm glad he's here, interested to see where it goes.     His numbers now are probably shinier as the league hasn't adapted to the adjustment the Orioles helped him make, and I wouldn't count on it being all year sticky, but especially this month the opportunities for a lot of work are present.

Cano and Suarez are our Robert Stephenson successes - are they good or we good?    What human resources rate the real money for the Orioles getting this to the field?   It is only Sunday that was the 1st anniversary of the Stephenson to Tampa trade, one of the openers in 2023 reliever trades.

• Upvote 1

Not including tonight, Max Fried has thrown 73 innings for a 1.6 WAR.

Not including tonight, Our boy Albert has 1.3 WAR in 39.1 innings. His ERA+ is an acceptable 203, his FIP is 2.71, his WHIP is a hair over one.

He’s not bad. Do it for another 160 innings, please?

38 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Suarez just keeps cooking. What a great find. 

This years "Bautista "in a different role of course...I give a ton of credit to Elias and his staff...Albert Suarez has been a real find...for as long as it lasts...One of baseball's great stories..