Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2 IP for Suarez. Was sitting 94 on his FB. Quick innings. Not the big velo jump we were hoping but has two really quick innings. This dude is just a pro. 

Yeah, definitely took care of business, but it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t see any data, but by my eye test he didn’t miss a ton of bats. It might just be that my hopes for him are a little too elevated. We will see.

4 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Yeah, definitely took care of business, but it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I didn’t see any data, but by my eye test he didn’t miss a ton of bats. It might just be that my hopes for him are a little too elevated. We will see.

Agreed, but he missed bats as a starter so there’s no reason he shouldn’t do it as a reliever.  He also touched 96-97 as a starter so I eventually expect that or better as a reliever.   It’s a new routine and a new role.  I’m hoping and expecting more.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

The baseball fan’s version of first world problems.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Agreed, but he missed bats as a starter so there’s no reason he shouldn’t do it as a reliever.  He also touched 96-97 as a starter so I eventually expect that or better as a reliever.   It’s a new routine and a new role.  I’m hoping and expecting more.

That new routine includes getting himself warmed up differently and more quickly than as as a starter. These nuances are why no one can assume a starter can just become a great reliever and automatically get a bump in velocity. 

We also don't know how quickly he can rebound to be able to pitch again. Now, he hadn't pitched in a week yesterday so he should been fresh, so perhaps the new warmup routine did not see him fully warmed up. Or maybe a lack of adrenaline pitching late in a 6-0 game was why we saw about a MPH difference in his velocities?

Suarez didn't miss many bats and actually missed none with his fastball. His fastball has typically gotten a lot of whiff. 

The good news is he didn't allow any hits or walks, and needed only 24 pitches to get through 2.1 innings. 

image.thumb.png.20c6787e2907979ef852095d51834a8d.png 

I didn’t like his arm slot yesterday. Seemed to be coming more 3/4 than over the top. Also there is a theory when you try to throw harder instead of trusting your mechanics , you throw slower.

Posted (edited)

Didn't really get much hard contact so I see no reason to complain or worry about him right now. The Red are a swing-happy team that made a TON of quick outs all series and Suarez did the right thing and threw his fastball for contact. Certainly looked a lot better than Baumann did. 

Edited by interloper

He was put in a "mop up" situation and he "mopped." Not going to extrapolate too much cause of the length of time off between pitching, the new routine, and the game situation. He did what he had to do. Then along came Baumann

The best case scenario was that he's a late inning strikeout guy. But even if he's not quite that, he's still more useful than Baumann or maybe even Tate if we assume that his poor peripherals eventually catch up to him (they kinda have so far in AAA). 

I think the CL/SU potential is there with Suarez. Maybe we need to get him adjusted to going for more K’s with our analytics/pitching lab. He’s got the tools. He’s just got to prepare for shorter, more frequent stints, and to shrink down the pitch arsenal while going for K’s. 

He was back to getting a bunch of whiffs last night and I think he was actually throwing harder in his second inning than his first. He was hitting some 96s then. Possibly he just needs to get acclimated to getting warmed up more quickly?

Even if he never gets a big velo jump out of the pen, I think he’ll be a good RP. Throws strikes, misses bats and has a very unique fastball that should play well the first time through an order. Whether he can up his velo further is probably what will determine whether he’s more of a solid middle/long RP or a potential late inning RP. 

I knew his brother pitched for the Padres but I had no idea he threw so hard.

Robert Suarez just finished off a 4-0 win over the Dodgers.   Of his 22 pitches, 9 were over 100 MPH and 10 more were 99.

• Upvote 2