Cionel Perez 2024

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

So, Mr Perez has a team option for next year of 2.2 million…they’ll probably pick it up.

Momma, teach your kids to throw a fastball…

Yuck.  He has been terrible this season.  He isn't even very effective against lefties because he can't throw strikes.  O's need to trade for Sam Moll or another reliable lefty--there is nobody out there right now that I trust in a matchup situation.  

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

So, Mr Perez has a team option for next year of 2.2 million…they’ll probably pick it up.

Momma, teach your kids to throw a fastball…

And throw that fastball left handed southpaws bounce around forever. T.J. McFarland has been in MLB for a decade now.

I’m hoping Elias gets a couple bullpen arms next week so Perez doesn’t have pitch in many high leverage situations. 

Perez is fine in the 6th inning when you need a groundball, but he's just not very clutch. Batters are slashing .381/.458/.524/.982 off him with 2 outs and RISP.

Saying that, he's actually been pretty good until last night when he was putrid. 

Now, he was rusty last night after not pitching for 6 days, but prior to this outing he hadn't allowed in a run in his last 9 games covering 8 innings. I'm not ready to throw him away, and it's always tough when a reliever blows a tie or close game late, but let's face it, this offense wasn't scoring against Miami's bullpen anyways. 

• Upvote 1

Perez picked up the win today.  It rare the official scorer doesn’t pick the guy by the letter of the law but apparently the homer Webb gave up took his win from him and he gave it to Perez, that or Perez tossed him a few bucks.  

Count me as someone who likes having Perez on the team.  He can be inconsistent, but he competes his butt off.  That roar he let out when he closed out Miami in the 10th on Thursday was classic.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

Perez picked up the win today.  It rare the official scorer doesn’t pick the guy by the letter of the law but apparently the homer Webb gave up took his win from him and he gave it to Perez, that or Perez tossed him a few bucks.  

I wondered about that all the way home.  Can't think of the last time the official scorer made such a decision.  

Anyone?

Webb recorded the 3rd out in the 5th without incident.  Then he gave up a 2-run HR in the 6th.  But he finished the 6th. 

Perez comes on in the 7th.

I gotta think that the Official Scorer will change this.  Just doesn't make sense..

Edited by ChipTait

8 hours ago, ChipTait said:

I wondered about that all the way home.  Can't think of the last time the official scorer made such a decision.  

Anyone?

Webb recorded the 3rd out in the 5th without incident.  Then he gave up a 2-run HR in the 6th.  But he finished the 6th. 

Perez comes on in the 7th.

I gotta think that the Official Scorer will change this.  Just doesn't make sense..

I wish official scorers exercised their discretion like that more often.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Count me as someone who likes having Perez on the team.  He can be inconsistent, but he competes his butt off.  That roar he let out when he closed out Miami in the 10th on Thursday was classic.  

I like guys who compete and are good.  They don’t need to yell for me to like them..they need to get guys out.

Perez is another guy who you can’t reasonably believe if he comes into the game in a tough situation that he is going to be successful. 

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I like guys who compete and are good.  They don’t need to yell for me to like them..they need to get guys out.

Perez is another guy who you can’t reasonably believe if he comes into the game in a tough situation that he is going to be successful. 

Interesting.  He’s 2-0, has 2 saves and 13 holds, and hasn’t blown a save all year.  He’s allowed 26% of inherited runners to score, well below league average.  He has a .451 OPS against in high leverage situations.  He’s pitched in 14 games where the O’s had a 1-2 run lead or the game was tied, and has allowed a run exactly one time.  So, I’d say he’s been pretty damned successful in tough situations.  

• Upvote 3