Cionel Perez 2024

Tony-OH

If we are talking about options...think about Cade Povich, a hard throwing lefty who today had 7 strikeouts in 4 and 2 third innings for Norfolk..He now has 33 K's in 21.2  innings.His WHIP is 0.74. He still throws too many pitches, but he MIGHT be the young, shot in arm pitcher this rotation could use. Or he might help us in the pen. Either way,he's knocking on the door.

Edited by Roy Firestone

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

If we are talking about options...think about Cade Povich, a hard throwing lefty who today had 7 strikeouts in 4 and 2 third innings for Norfolk..He now has 33 K's in 21.2  innings.His WHIP is 0.74. He still throws too many pitches, but he MIGHT be the young, shot in arm pitcher this rotation could use. Or he might help us in the pen. Either way,he's knocking on the door.

When did he become "hard throwing"?

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Are you talking Ramirez or Baumann?

As bad as Baumann is Ramirez threw a pitch that was so short of the plate that when Brown asked McDonald if he had ever done anything like that said he couldn’t remember ever doing so. 

14 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

When Roy said so, duh.

Anyway, I'm hoping Perez can look more like the 2nd half guy he was last year.  Not sure how they corrected him, but he was way better in the 2nd half last year.

33 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

According to Statcast, Povich's hardest fastball this season (not including today as it's not available yet) was 94.3 mph. I'd say that's decently hard for a lefty. 0.2 more mph and that'll get rounded up to 95 on the gun.

Edited by interloper

It is fun that if Tyler Wells' "injury" is one of the steps in the growing process from being Raysian to being Dodgers-ian that in a week if Elias feels it is his A team he could have Means, Cionel, Wells and Bradish back on his roster.

I'm sure he'll go slower than that but personnel management for the Yankees series could be illuminating.

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

According to Statcast, Povich's hardest fastball this season (not including today as it's not available yet) was 94.3 mph. I'd say that's decently hard for a lefty. 0.2 more mph and that'll get rounded up to 95 on the gun.

He sits 92, max. Slightly below average for a LHP.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Why do you feel it's your job to troll Roy? "Hard throwing" is subjective, and besides, you are adding nothing to the board unless you can give statistical evidence to change an existing opinion. But you know that, don't do that, and particularly like to troll Roy.

Since this is a Perez thread I won't continue this conversation about Povich.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

As bad as Baumann is Ramirez threw a pitch that was so short of the plate that when Brown asked McDonald if he had ever done anything like that said he couldn’t remember ever doing so. 

Ramirez is who he is with no upside. He's got decent stuff, but is never consistent enough to put together a series of good outings that he can be used in anything close to a small margin game unless it's an emergency. Sounds like Baumann, doesn't it? At least Baumann has a little upside, but at 28, he's basically who he as a well, but he can give you a little length on occasion which is why I'd move Ramirez first.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ramirez is who he is with no upside. He's got decent stuff, but is never consistent enough to put together a series of good outings that he can be used in anything close to a small margin game unless it's an emergency. Sounds like Baumann, doesn't it? At least Baumann has a little upside, but at 28, he's basically who he as a well, but he can give you a little length on occasion which is why I'd move Ramirez first.

I actually like Ramirez's stuff more than Baumann's, but Baumann definitely has the better control (which says a lot about Ramirez's control LOL). Ramirez you just never know if he's going to hit 2 guys, walk one, and then throw one in the dirt for a wild pitch. When he doesn't do that stuff, he's pretty intriguing. 

That said, to me he's still the obvious first choice for DFA. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd definitely DFA Ramirez first vs Baumann, but Baumann may not be far behind.

Ramirez and Baumann are easy DFAs for me. And I wouldn't care whatsoever if Webb gets DFAd also. 

I'd much rather see Albert Suarez given a long look in the pen - whenever his run as a starter ends - than any of the above 3 righties. I'd also rather see Charles than those 3 guys, even if he's a longshot to stick. And by the end of the season, hopefully Povich and McDermott are options.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Why do you feel it's your job to troll Roy? "Hard throwing" is subjective, and besides, you are adding nothing to the board unless you can give statistical evidence to change an existing opinion. But you know that, don't do that, and particularly like to troll Roy.

Since this is a Perez thread I won't continue this conversation about Povich.

Sorry

image.jpeg.ba6e923145eb6bcbaaca4e0ce45397d9.jpeg

Since we are asking the question of who to remove so we can add Perez, I'll just leave this post right here from the other thread...

On 4/24/2024 at 10:20 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Players that can be DFA (in order, from quickest to trying to hold on to them longer)...

1. David Benuelos

2. Jonathan Heasley

3. Yohan Ramirez

4.Kaleb Ort

5. Toss up after that and you'd prefer not having to expose the other guys to waivers. Although some long time names in the organization do become vulnerable at this point in the list.