Holliday optioned, McKenna recalled

Brian88

23 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

You think the shirt thing was already in the works before the sale was concluded?  I think it was planned to get a huge gate on an otherwise sleepy day in April.  And i don't think it was wise at least in hindsight.  The kid didnt need the added pressure but its hard to imagine he would suck this spectacularly. 

But on the bright side we dont have to listen to Matt Holliday go around talking smack about not bringing up his amazing son who is totally ready to play right now.  Now we can keep him down for as long as we want and Matt and Boras and the Players Union can go pound sand.  We brought him up and he could not hit a ball to save his life.  Honestly he isnt ready hitting or defensively.  

Norby must really not be able to play second because otherwise he would have his golden chance.

🙄

You say this like he was running the talk show circuit doing this. He was asked 1 question on 1 show and folks here put their own inference on what he said because they like to drum up BS.

Everyone thought he was ready.

• Upvote 4

Not all that surprising about Holliday. He needs a reset and to work with the coaches in Norfolk on fine tuning his mechanics and pitch identification.

McKenna passed through waivers when they DFA'd him off the 40 man roster so the organization probably feels they can squeeze him through pretty safely again. Which means if McKenna is going to consistently pass through waivers, it essentially acts as a bonus option year and also allows them to free up space on the 40 whenever they need it.

Other than McKenna, the only other DFA candidates at this moment are relief pitchers and this organization loves to rotate their bullpen arms.

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

Not all that surprising about Holliday. He needs a reset and to work with the coaches in Norfolk on fine tuning his mechanics and pitch identification.

McKenna passed through waivers when they DFA'd him off the 40 man roster so the organization probably feels they can squeeze him through pretty safely again. Which means if McKenna is going to consistently pass through waivers, it essentially acts as a bonus option year and also allows them to free up space on the 40 whenever they need it.

Other than McKenna, the only other DFA candidates at this moment are relief pitchers and this organization loves to rotate their bullpen arms.

Are you saying that the coaches they have in AAA are better than the ones they have in the majors?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you saying that the coaches they have in AAA are better than the ones they have in the majors?

Maybe he’s saying they know him better and have more time to work with him. Maybe they were told specifically what to work on.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Perhaps he's saying that a mental reset / change of scenery can be helpful to someone.

Perhaps he's saying that it is easier to work on mechanical changes in an environment where the games don't "count" as much and you aren't feeling like you are letting your teammates down if you struggle.   Maybe development doesn't completely trump winning at AAA, but the ratio of the importance of the two is skewed very differently than it is at the big league level.

There's a luxury of being able to experiment and tinker with things at AAA without any pressure that if something doesn't work, or takes a long time to work, you will be sent down.

53 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'd let Stowers bat against LHP tbh.

But for me it's more about throwing the guy a bone.  Yeah, he might only be up a week, and get 4 at-bats, but he's on the 40, and he's not the kind of prospect I'm worried about interrupting his development etc.  

Stowers' AAA numbers this season are good but not excellent the way the others' are.  He only has a .307 OBP so far in AAA.  And he would just take away at bats from Kjerstad, who has had great numbers this year.  Hard to imagine him being called up anytime soon and may be a trade candidate instead.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Don't understand all the hostility toward McKenna.

I predict he will have a walk off hit and a web gem defensive play within the next 7 games

I dont think anyone dislikes him personally.  I just think we have seen him for four years and we know who he is.  He is a dead end.  There is no upside.  And we want to see the guys who might be stars.  I think its that simple.

29 minutes ago, DenPA2002 said:

Well he be playing for Norfolk tonight?

As if Kyle Bradish's perhaps final tune-up wasn't enough.

IRL I'd guess the org had Hyde tell him on the way back from California so he had all yesterday to do whatever he needed to do.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not too surprised about Holliday.  I’m somewhat surprised about McKenna.  I guess they want an option for late inning defense in the OF for Santander or Kjerstad.  

We’re getting our roster snug for the Yankees series. Matchups. This is what winning over 162 looks like. McKenna will start in CF the game that Cortes pitches. We’re going to trot out our best L/R lineups and with defense. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Seems like a good time to send Hays to AAA on rehab assignment.  That's a good way to get his bat going.

If they really want to get his bat going, send him to Delmarva!