Holliday optioned, McKenna recalled

Brian88

Just now, dtk9119 said:

And McKenna was NOT on the 40. That's why they DFAed Banuelos. I bet Kjerstad goes when Hays comes back unless HK starts raking. McKenna is out of options and they probably dont want to expose him to waivers again.

All the more reason to keep him down 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jcaponio said:

What does this mean for Holliday's service time? How long would they need to keep him down now to get the extra year?

I believe at this point we get the extra year as long as he doesn't finish top-2 in ROY.

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Obviously this is disappointing, but Urias batting ninth and playing a very solid second base is hardly the end of the world. 

I’m assuming Mateo against LHP and Urias against RHP.   Should be more competitive AB than we’ve been getting from our 2B.

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

And McKenna was NOT on the 40. That's why they DFAed Banuelos. I bet Kjerstad goes when Hays comes back unless HK starts raking. McKenna is out of options and they probably dont want to expose him to waivers again.

I think they don't mind exposing him to waivers, at least compared to anyone else, and that is the primary reason he was chosen.

• Upvote 1

• I'm happy that Elias isn't going to let Holliday ride out his horrendous slump while burning a year of service time to do it. I'd much rather have Holliday at 26 years old than the 20-year-old not ready version he is now.
  • McKenna, im a little shocked over but when you're on the 40-man good things like this tend to happen. So good on him. 
  • This frees up some playing time for Urias which may or may not be a bad thing, since they won't recall Norby.
  • Have to feel for Norby at this point. He must feel pretty frustrated, hit another HR last night. He's trying.

McKenna might be useful to start in CF vs LHP in the Yankees series. Mullins has struggled vs LHP. That way you don't have to start both Cowser and Mullins vs lefties. 

NOT SAYING I AGREE. 

But I think that's part of the thinking here.

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:
  • I'm happy that Elias isn't going to let Holliday ride out his horrendous slump while burning a year of service time to do it. I'd much rather have Holliday at 26 years old than the 20-year-old not ready version he is now.
  • McKenna, im a little shocked over but when you're on the 40-man good things like this tend to happen. So good on him. 
  • This frees up some playing time for Urias which may or may not be a bad thing, since they won't recall Norby.
  • Have to feel for Norby at this point. He must feel pretty frustrated, hit another HR last night. He's trying.

Norby must have insulted Elias’ mom or something. Makes zero sense to promote McKenna instead of him. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I haven't paid much attention to Norfolk recently. Has McKenna really been playing 2B?

Someone posted the other day that he was learning 2B.

I do not think he's going to play any second base for the O's.

Edited by Can_of_corn

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what the Hays injury situation is, but this may be a very short call-up for McKenna.  I think Hays is eligible to come off the IL on Wednesday.  

The fact that they added McKenna instead or Norby tells me this is a very short term thing. Still, I would have liked to have seen Norby be given his shot, but maybe they were worried he come up, hit, and then they'd still had to make room for Hays next week. 

Not overly surprised that Holliday was optioned, only slightly surprised they didn't do it before the Angels series with the two lefty starters scheduled. 

Just now, Pickles said:

Should have been Stowers.

I guess they feel like Kjerstad > Stowers. 

Still, kind of baffling that it's McKenna, but whatever. Rough first go-round for #7. Maybe we shouldn't make every prospect's debut a media circus. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Obviously this is disappointing, but Urias batting ninth and playing a very solid second base is hardly the end of the world. 

No doubt this is another opportunity for Urias to get pretty regular PAs, though I expect some still to go to Mateo against lefties.